Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Two reasons why this area is garbage:

A) Lots of projects. Projects attract drugs, gangs, and unsavory characters.

B) Staten Island Ferry not as convenient as you think. Want to enjoy manhattan esp on the weekend? Enjoy being herded on and off the boat with thousands of obnoxious and annoying tourists.
I didn't see any projects in the area I visited .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I didn't see any projects in the area I visited .
That's because there aren't any. The only projects are the ones over by Jersey Street.

There's the Castleton Park (I really wish I remember what the other name of it was), but that's a Mitchell-Lama and it's alright.

BTW, forgot to mention....

Quote:
I could be wrong but I have a hard time imagining that the crime in that area is much worse than the NYC average. It could have the highest crime rate in Staten Island,which I don't think it does,and still just be average or even below when compared to the rest of NYC.
There's definitely worse areas on Staten Island, and obviously plenty of worse areas in the city. But I'd still say it's a little above average in terms of crime.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
There's the Castleton Park (I really wish I remember what the other name of it was), but that's a Mitchell-Lama and it's alright.
Tallest buildings on SI at 19 stories. They must have a killer view. Ever been in them?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tallest buildings on SI at 19 stories. They must have a killer view. Ever been in them?
Nah, but at 19 stories plus the fact that they're on a hill, I'd imagine the same.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
More views of buildings/homes in Saint George area:

New York Architecture Photos: St George Staten Island

Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Er, no.

Castleton Park apartment buildings are twenty stories not nineteen. Plus they are built on a hill so the views are pretty wonderful. I know because have been in some apartments.

165 Castleton Park Tower | Buildings | EMPORIS

Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any crime stats from the specific area I was posting about....St.Mark's Place,Stuyvesant Place,Hamilton Avenue area? I did see one abandoned house over on the other side near a homeless shelter(central Avenue?) but even there seemed very tame to me compared to large areas of The South Bronx,Harlem,Upper Manhattan,East Brooklyn and Southeast Queens.I am a pretty good judge of hoody neighborhoods around the city but I just didn't get that vibe at all in the area I was in.I could be wrong but I have a hard time imagining that the crime in that area is much worse than the NYC average.It could have the highest crime rate in Staten Island,which I don't think it does,and still just be average or even below when compared to the rest of NYC.

I get what some who grew up in or live in the more suburban areas of SI are saying about "a little seedy" and the inconvenience of most of SI without a car but that doesn't help in trying to figure out what I'm trying to figure out.Most of NYC is still a little seedy to me so it doesn't mean too much.
Crime stats for the 120th precinct: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs120pct.pdf

As you can clearly see rates have been trending downward for years.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Er, no.

Castleton Park apartment buildings are twenty stories not nineteen. Plus they are built on a hill so the views are pretty wonderful. I know because have been in some apartments.

165 Castleton Park Tower | Buildings | EMPORIS
Oops thought they were 19.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I get the distinct feeling that the City is housing a lot of people in some of those old apartment buildings who would otherwise be homeless.
Walking the hilly streets of the area, while interesting, caused me a stange feeling of sadness and disquiet.

No, I would never want to need a subway, a ferry and then a bus to begin and end every trip to Manhattan. After years of the lightning fast PATH train, even that eventually became monotonously tedious.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I get the distinct feeling that the City is housing a lot of people in some of those old apartment buildings who would otherwise be homeless.
Walking the hilly streets of the area, while interesting, caused me a stange feeling of sadness and disquiet.

No, I would never want to need a subway, a ferry and then a bus to begin and end every trip to Manhattan. After years of the lightning fast PATH train, even that eventually became monotonously tedious.
It is not the City per se, but Section 8 as the homes are privately owned.

The Saint George area does have a *decent* number of various City service agencies for welfare, homeless, those with mental issues and so forth located in Saint George area; think of it as the "UWS" of Staten Island. *LOL*

As with the UWS local residents are getting fed up with the City "dumping" such services in their area and fighting against anything new opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City