Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM

5 posts, read 6,154 times

Advertisements

Simple question:
i will be relocating from London to NYC in jan, workin at Times sq offices of company. I got relatively nice housing allowance 1500$ to spend and want to find a reasonable place to live, preferably no roommmates. So budget 1,5-2k/month on rent. no more than 2k though

Which areas would you recommend and why to live for a 26 yo single male?

Areas I looked into: gramercy, chelsea, hells kitchen, kipps bay...

What im looking for:
-walkable distance to times sqaure (im european so 20-30 blocks is ok)
-will most likely have a motorcycle so even as far as harlem could do, but mainly midtown...
-easy access to nightlife (i mean right around the corner so i live where i eat/drink/club)
i understand meatpacking and lower east side are where its at
-okay-ish apartment - looks ok to take women back, not some ****hole
-if roommates max 2, apartment should be nice w kitchen and clean shower

i speak mandarin btw, so chinatown also option, but it looks quite ghetto to me (im caucasian)

would brooklyn be too far? when ive been it struck me that there are some quite big apartment spaces there...similar to LA kinda lofts but lot of hippie artsy ppl live there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM

11 posts, read 13,151 times
At 2000/mo budget, you may have some challenges finding the perfect place. Lower East Side is definitely where the night life is at. Meatpacking might work better for you, though, if you're looking to stay on the West Side. Also East Village is affordable. Your budget will get you a decent walk up, nothing special, but nice enough. I actually specialize in affordable rentals and work primarily with young professionals.

I'd be glad to send you options for you to review if you're interested. I work for Keller Williams - we're the largest real estate company in the country. My email is asteiker@kwnyc.com and number is (215) 431-1408. Feel free to reach out.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Looks into hells kitchen or kips bay. You will be able to find an apt by yourself there but it will probably be no frills. Or you could live in a more lux apt with roommates each paying $1500. I normally advice against roommates but you are still in the age where people enjoy living with people. And it may be nice for you since you are new to the country.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Brooklyn might be fine. Kips Bay, Hell's Kitchen, and Chelsea have the advantage of being walking distance.

But, first, keep the possibility of a roommate in mind - it might be nice to have a possible buddy in the city. Second, if your company is large enough to relocate you to NYC, they very likely have an in-house newsletter or bulletin board. You might either post there, or find a post there about an apartment.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
i'd go for the meatpacking district too. lively area, with great nightlife, and a chock full of options, including transportation right at your feet.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM

141 posts, read 306,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
i'd go for the meatpacking district too. lively area, with great nightlife, and a chock full of options, including transportation right at your feet.
He can't afford the Meatpacking District.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
there is absolutely nothing walkable to times square for $1500 if you don't want a roommate

with a roommate you have chelsea or hell's kitchen west of 8th ave. anything further east will be annoying to park your motorcycle (i own one and used to live in hell's kitchen)

FYI washington heights is a good option if you work near TS. easy, quick and enjoyable motorcycle ride down the west side highway to midtown. when it rains or snows you have both the A train and 1 train. i moved here from hell's kitchen and it's a better neighborhood for having the motorcycle (street cleaning is half as frequent here). you can easily find a place for $1500 - $2000. not much nightlife though but just do your drinking further south and hop in a cab. personally i'll take take inconvenience on friday/saturday nights over living further south and having a roommate every night

good luck

Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
I think what you should worry about is getting to work in 30-45 mins max and a place YOU CAN AFFORD. After a yr or 2 of getting to know the city better and the way commuting really works then you can try to find your ideal spot if you can afford it.

I know 1BR in Washington heights for $1300 In Harlem for $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City