Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,894,607 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention also - one of the HPD buildings (10) is in the process of being gutted and rehabbed. Hard to know what the rentals will be. There could be a funding agreement, have not had time to research it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You will see big changes on St Nick Ave soon. But the terrace may take a while longer. I think Lionel Hampton was a senior building but family members moved in and things deteriorated.
It was, and real estate people continued to sell apartments nearby claiming that when we moved there ten years ago. Oh, that's just senior citizen housing. Right.

Currently there are dozens of evictions in housing court. A couple of years ago, one of the more major developers bought that building and four or five others in a portfolio.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 10-22-2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There's a lot of seedy people in those big buildings, Lionel Hampton Houses I think they are called. Not quite sure what the future holds for those buildings as I suspect some of the apartments are being made available on market as older people leave.
The Lionel Hampton Houses are on St. Nicholas Avenue.
A few of them were listed, over the past year, for around $2,300 I recall.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,843,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Forgot to mention also - one of the HPD buildings (10) is in the process of being gutted and rehabbed. Hard to know what the rentals will be. There could be a funding agreement, have not had time to research it.
That means HPD either sold it or the tenants agreed to turn it into an HDFC. If it is going HDFC the tenants are allowed to buy at a lower cost and the remaining are sold at a set price to people that come within the income guidelines. Which are pretty high.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
That means HPD either sold it or the tenants agreed to turn it into an HDFC. If it is going HDFC the tenants are allowed to buy at a lower cost and the remaining are sold at a set price to people that come within the income guidelines. Which are pretty high.
Can't figure it out, but that did occur to me.
I could not remember if there were tenants living there.
The income limits will be the interesting thing, whatever they do. I cannot imagine that it will be a market building.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,101,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Anybody actually been on this block? For those who don't know, it's in Harlem.
I'm a CCNY student, and I've been on the block while walking to the subway, but not after dark (which FWIW is when those incidents occurred). Even during the day, it seems kind of desolate.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,807,577 times
Quote:
you mentioned Saint Nicolas Ave will see big changes soon. Any details?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,182,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i'm actually a PF member but that doesn't change the fact it blows. i'd pay twice as much for a place i didn't have to wait 30 minutes for a smith press during peak hours because they don't have any real free weights. i hope you mean "dump" as in "replace with real squat racks" and not "narrow down the strength training options even further". at my PF all five smith presses are in use almost 24/7. i've had to wait for one even as early as 7:30am

throw in something like heavy bags and a decent locker room and i'd pay five times as much

that said, you can't beat the price. if you use it at all it winds up being just a few bucks a workout or less. i'm sure they're making money with their McDonalds style approach and it's certainly better than nothing. i just think a higher end gym would also do well. luckily for me i have free access to a few other gyms in other neighborhoods

i was actually a member of that dump on 125th that closed abruptly about a decade ago and screwed all the members. i think it was a dolphin. what a joke that was
Yes I hope they replace them with more free weights. Smith machines are bad for you on top of them being limited. I suggest you stop using the smith as a regular part of your workout as they could do real damage to your body. Look it up if you don't believe me.

PF for what you get for the price is a good deal. It is a good gym for maintaining and for someone trying to lose weight. It is not however a good strength gaining gym. It fits my current goals just fine. The one I go to is rarely that crowded like that where I have to wait that long for stuff.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-23-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
you mentioned Saint Nicolas Ave will see big changes soon. Any details?
I would personally suspend immediately judgement regarding changes on St. Nicholas Avenue ... there were, as I mentioned, significant purchases over the last few years, but I think the areas east of the Park will be some time in changing. And change will require some effort as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,974,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yes I hope they replace them with more free weights. Smith machines are bad for you on top of them being limited. I suggest you stop using the smith as a regular part of your workout as they could do real damage to your body. Look it up if you don't believe me.

PF for what you get for the price is a good deal. It is a good gym for maintaining and for someone trying to lose weight. It is not however a good strength gaining gym. It fits my current goals just fine. The one I go to is rarely that crowded like that where I have to wait that long for stuff.
i'm aware of their drawbacks and only used them occasionally over the summer while i didn't have access to another gym. i never did anything like deep heavy squats on them and didn't use them regularly enough for my stabilizers to weaken with respect to larger muscles

the WH/inwood PF is crowded pretty much all day. it also used to smell bad, although they corrected that. i agree with your evaluation of what the PFs are good for

there's another gym on 181st that sucks. can't remember the name, but they keep a friggen parrot in one of the offices. if you've ever seen a poorly maintained parrot cage, you'll know why i don't consider that gym sanitary. it's too bad because it could be a very good gym with better owners willing to invest a little

i think i'm bringing this thread OT. sorry. FWIW, there are better places near CCNY to walk around at night if one is looking for an apt. i regularly walked up and down b'way and amsterdam late nights around 135 - 140 and felt fine. not nearly as secluded as st nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City