Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Looks like the graffiti vandals were pretty racist too. There is a swastika graffiti on the left side of the
building. Maybe there were Jewish hipsters living in that building they were taunting?
The buildings are in Berlin. There's more swastika graffiti over there due to neo-Nazi taggers.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rigae...rmany&t=m&z=16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM

916 posts, read 2,239,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The buildings are in Berlin. There's more swastika graffiti over there due to neo-Nazi taggers.
I thought that was one of the gentrified NYC neighborhood photo. Thanks for pointing that out Henna.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I thought that was one of the gentrified NYC neighborhood photo. Thanks for pointing that out Henna.
It didn't make much sense to post that photo in a thread about NY gentrification!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Im not against urban revitilization by any means......and you know what? I realize american society is not fair....life in general is not fair......I realize society is unequal and all these things......

I also realize city data forums are already FLOOOODED with threads on gentrification.....but what im about to say i dont think its been said yet......so with that established...... to any proud self described gentrifier reading this.....

- YOU ARE NOT GODS GIFT TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD/CITY!!!!!!
Are you talking about a specific neighborhood, or just in general?

FYI, most neighborhoods used to be inhabited by a whole different set of people, it's all a matter of timeframe. If you're talking about a black neighborhood being changed to white, what you probably don't realize that 100 years ago it was probably white to begin with. And really, who cares? Black, White, Asian, Indian, whatever, people have a right to live where they like and can afford

Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM

857 posts, read 1,195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

FYI, most neighborhoods used to be inhabited by a whole different set of people, it's all a matter of timeframe. If you're talking about a black neighborhood being changed to white, what you probably don't realize that 100 years ago it was probably white to begin with. And really, who cares? Black, White, Asian, Indian, whatever, people have a right to live where they like and can afford
read the rest of that post......youll get an answer......i promise......*smh*

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,260,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Not even 100 years. For example, bushwick was a white neighborhood up until the '70s. Broadway was the racial dividing line with south of it being black and north of it being white.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not even 100 years. For example, bushwick was a white neighborhood up until the '70s. Broadway was the racial dividing line with south of it being black and north of it being white.
Yep - and Bed Stuy, the Harlem of Brooklyn all started as Dutch land built into housing by legions of Irish & German Immigrants. It's the cycle of life

Old 10-30-2013, 02:44 AM

857 posts, read 1,195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
not exactly.....blacks and puerto ricans moved in in massive numbers as early as the 50s......most of these neighborhoods started going from white to nonwhite when the 2nd great migration from the south hit (the black influx). round that same time, most of NYC's Puerto Rican community moved in.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,260,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
not exactly.....blacks and puerto ricans moved in in massive numbers as early as the 50s......most of these neighborhoods started going from white to nonwhite when the 2nd great migration from the south hit (the black influx). round that same time, most of NYC's Puerto Rican community moved in.
Bushwick did not have a massive black and PR population in the '50s. It was still mostly German with a growing italian population. At that point in time, it was the Italians that the Germans were worried about, not blacks or PRs. It wasn't until the '70s that they burned my pops building down, giving him no choice but to move.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,238,595 times
Whelp for me, the potential this thread had is totally gone now.

Op, I hope you know that the way you write and speak, including accent are the first set of inputs people use to prejudge your intelligence. It is not fair but that's the way it is. The way you are writing on this forum, does not have you come across as someone who knows what they are talking about or even have a valid point. It is a shame because I thought you had few valid points to raise but failed to do so in logical manner and backed it up with false data.

Going back to writing and equating it with intelligence, I think you said it's not my writing but failure of reading comprehension on the readers' parts. Considering English is not the first language for many people on this forum (including myself) and especially since it is NYC forum. If you are smart as you think you are, wouldn't it have been better to write it in more readable manner using your superior smarts you think you have to make up for readers with lower reading comprehension to have a meaningful discussion? Instead you took the other road and basically said, LOL i write fin3, you kant read. LOL. don't talk to me. LOL.

As for false data part. It is not hard for anyone to google for census info about say Bushwick and call your bullsh*t. Quick googling and I learned that it was mostly white in Bushwick in 50s (Italians with some Germans). Minorities such as African Americans did not move in until 70s. Just to double check, I did a further digging on census data of 50s to 70s supports it.

Last edited by babo111; 10-30-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City