Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,458,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Inequality is just nature. If different groups were really equal, they would be equal and live the same way.
No. Physical inequalities are nature (if you are tall, small, slim, if you got asthma...). Social inequalities are the results of history, most of the time it implies oppression of one group of people on another group. That's why some people were born poor in the ghetto, while some others were born with a silver spoon in their mouth, nothing natural about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM

770 posts, read 1,126,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
No. Physical inequalities are nature (if you are tall, small, slim, if you got asthma...). Social inequalities are the results of history, most of the time it implies oppression of one group of people on another group. That's why some people were born poor in the ghetto, while some others were born with a silver spoon in their mouth, nothing natural about that.

Yes and No. Despite tough backgrounds, many find a way to get ahead. You cannot just 'generalize' or say inequality will stop people. Look at Tom Edison, one of the most famous inventers of all time. He was Irish, when Amercia was deeply prejudiced against the Irish. Hard work and brow sweat will make up for poverty and disadvantaged background. Its attitude, and a dash of appitude.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,191,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Yes and No. Despite tough backgrounds, many find a way to get ahead. You cannot just 'generalize' or say inequality will stop people. Look at Tom Edison, one of the most famous inventers of all time. He was Irish, when Amercia was deeply prejudiced against the Irish. Hard work and brow sweat will make up for poverty and disadvantaged background. Its attitude, and a dash of appitude.
"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration."

- Edison

Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM

895 posts, read 1,698,301 times
I love how the snarky yuppie and hipster elites on here took it upon themselves to make snide comments on the OPs grammar in an attempt to undermine his validity and toot their own horn. Who cares how things are worded as long as you can understand it; the pretentious remarks are completely unneccessary.
Probably sitting there in their west village studio making a veggie smoothie made from distinctly organic shaman herbs from the local health food store. The inflated sense of self importance and superior ethics these people have exhibit repulse me.
Also love how someone's defense for gentrification was that "people of the OP's kind" don't make a valiant effort to revitalize neighborhoods by supporting local business and reporting crime. Can't believe someone coming most likely coming from behind a white picket fence would dictate to someone from a completely different socioeconomic background how they should handle issues that they have never experienced.
God bless the working class.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,634,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I love how the snarky yuppie and hipster elites on here took it upon themselves to make snide comments on the OPs grammar in an attempt to undermine his validity and toot their own horn. Who cares how things are worded as long as you can understand it; the pretentious remarks are completely unneccessary.
Probably sitting there in their west village studio making a veggie smoothie made from distinctly organic shaman herbs from the local health food store. The inflated sense of self importance and superior ethics these people have exhibit repulse me.
Also love how someone's defense for gentrification was that "people of the OP's kind" don't make a valiant effort to revitalize neighborhoods by supporting local business and reporting crime. Can't believe someone coming most likely coming from behind a white picket fence would dictate to someone from a completely different socioeconomic background how they should handle issues that they have never experienced.
You forgot to put spaces in between your paragraphs

Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 PM

268 posts, read 479,936 times
Quote:
Organic shaman herbs? lol

I think you need a new pair of Birkenstocks there, Kurt Cobain..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,957,548 times
Cupcakes, yoga, starbucks, apple products.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 AM

895 posts, read 1,698,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You forgot to put spaces in between your paragraphs
Please excuse me, god forbid I made your nightly coffee shop macbook session all the more difficult.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 AM

857 posts, read 1,195,350 times
Quote:
someone who finally understands.....not to mention when i talked about how racist and elitist a lot of these gentrifiers were they proved me right x 10! lol and *smh*

Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,191,128 times
Quote:

Native born, working/middle class guy here. I make fun of and am disgusted with hipsters more than most on this forum. You can check my history if you feel so inclined. That said, the only thing I read the OP as was:

"White people y'all!! Right y'all?........lol and smh......lol and smh........lol and smh...................lol and smh"

Last edited by availableusername; 11-14-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City