Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 05:34 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

From published reports it seems de Blasio may lean towards inclusionary housing as a means to create more affordable apartments. However using the inclusion method is not always something developers like because they must increase the rent/cost of market rate units to balance the difference.

Being as that may inclusion is probably the only way you are going to get many new units in Manhattan and the "hot" parts of Brooklyn or Queens. The battle will likely be over just how much *more* can be built in certain neighborhoods to sweeten the inclusion pot. I mean if an area is zoned for six story buildings you can be sure not everyone would welcome one of say twenty-one floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM

20 posts, read 30,568 times
The idea of micro apartments have great potential to help solve some of our housing crisis. A huge problem for the city is the fact that many traditional 2 and 3 bedroom apartments are in great demand as apartment shares versus serving the needs of families--ultimately driving the cost of for everyone. For sometime now I have thought that the creation of a large development (200,000) micro apartments that can offer shared amenities to make up for a lack of space could seriously put a dent into the issue by transplanting singles and students out of traditional housing and into this "single city"--which would not have a huge effect on schools in any district or traffic. Of course the ideal would be for these micro-units to also be affordable, perhaps around $1000-$1200 a month if possible, and of course it would need to be near transportation. In that regard I also think I know of where such a development could be created, Sherman's Creek (Inwood) and Fordham's Landing (Bronx). These properties that sit across from each other near the University Heights Bridge are largely undeveloped and includes the rail yard for the A/C trains and access to the 1 train and Metro North. There are already long term plans to build a waterfront park there which of course would be a great attraction for people to move there. Unfortunately, living in Washington Heights, I know that many, many, many people uptown would be against this, mainly out of a fear of change.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaHi View Post
The idea of micro apartments have great potential to help solve some of our housing crisis. A huge problem for the city is the fact that many traditional 2 and 3 bedroom apartments are in great demand as apartment shares versus serving the needs of families--ultimately driving the cost of for everyone. For sometime now I have thought that the creation of a large development (200,000) micro apartments that can offer shared amenities to make up for a lack of space could seriously put a dent into the issue by transplanting singles and students out of traditional housing and into this "single city"--which would not have a huge effect on schools in any district or traffic. Of course the ideal would be for these micro-units to also be affordable, perhaps around $1000-$1200 a month if possible, and of course it would need to be near transportation. In that regard I also think I know of where such a development could be created, Sherman's Creek (Inwood) and Fordham's Landing (Bronx). These properties that sit across from each other near the University Heights Bridge are largely undeveloped and includes the rail yard for the A/C trains and access to the 1 train and Metro North. There are already long term plans to build a waterfront park there which of course would be a great attraction for people to move there. Unfortunately, living in Washington Heights, I know that many, many, many people uptown would be against this, mainly out of a fear of change.
Micro apartments are a fantastic idea. Inevitably the biggest complainers are the Hummer-Driving, Super-Size-my-Happy-Meal crowd that doesn't understand lots of personal space is a luxury in Manhattan and you're supposed to be out socializing outside the home most of the time when you're not sleeping. All you need is a bed, couch, closet, counter, fridge, stove, shower, sink, & toilet. There's no reason you can't fit all that in 250 square feet or less especially with a loft bed. If there's any doubt that can get done with a good standard of living, then you haven't shopped at Ikea!!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM

87 posts, read 204,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Micro apartments are a fantastic idea. Inevitably the biggest complainers are the Hummer-Driving, Super-Size-my-Happy-Meal crowd that doesn't understand lots of personal space is a luxury in Manhattan and you're supposed to be out socializing outside the home most of the time when you're not sleeping.
That reads like "regularly getting drunk and coming home at 4:00 in the morning" to an awful lot of people.

I think micro apartments are an intriguing idea in commercial and industrial zones, don't get me wrong. But nearly every advocate of micro developments justifies them with plans to market them to a very young demographic, many away from parents and dorms for the very first time.

Such a concept will meet with resistance from many, many homeowners in residential neighborhoods, regardless of where they may eat or what they may drive. How could it not?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:35 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
I'm all for microapartments integrated into buildings with other sizes of of apartments, but I don't like the dorm-like model that's being proposed. It's bad for neighborhoods IMO.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I'm all for microapartments integrated into buildings with other sizes of of apartments, but I don't like the dorm-like model that's being proposed. It's bad for neighborhoods IMO.
Put them in Murray Hill.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM

224 posts, read 675,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
In reality, no human being should have to live in a "housing project". So sad how NYC residents have to live....nearly inhuman.
Why sad?

Have you been to any public housing? It's no different than living in any apartment building. The folks living in Queensbridge have the same gorgeous view of the Manhattan skyline as their rich neighbors paying $500,000 for a 400 sq. foot studio on the LIC waterfront. Queensbridge is also one stop away from Manhattan by subway. They have a large park on the waterfront on the backside of the projects.

There's a misconception about projects that they are these horrible places. Depends where you are. If you're next to five other public housing complexes in the middle of an area where there's no reason to travel through (i.e. - Brownsville), it can suck. But if you're in one complex that's in the middle of a quiet, residential area, it's not bad. Or if you're in vibrant neighborhood filled with artists, it's usually not bad. Depends on the project and where it's located.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 PM

224 posts, read 675,943 times
And to answer the OP's question, I am worried about the shrinking middle class not just in New York City but throughout the country. It's a serious problem.

I will be fine financially but that doesn't mean squat. At some point the "haves" will be targeted by the "have nots" and they won't be able to get away no matter how much they spend. This is a problem that affects ALL of us.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:56 PM

87 posts, read 204,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Terrible.

But, luckily for the neighborhoods, it's painfully obvious that the model is dorm-like to the core. And nobody wants that, unless their community is so blighted and downtrodden it is their only option for new development.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
...All you need is a bed, couch, closet, counter, fridge, stove, shower, sink, & toilet. There's no reason you can't fit all that in 250 square feet or less especially with a loft bed...
Who are you talking to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City