Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times

Advertisements

Well, it's that time of year again.
I have not had a radiator on since last winter but I'm typing in my boxers and I got chilly. I checked the outdoor thermometer and wow...38 degrees. Coldest this year I think.
So I turned on a radiator and how nice it filled with steam within 30 seconds silently.

After years with a slumlord, banging pipes, long days without heat or hot water, having to call City inspectors, how nice it is to have a fully functioning heating system.

Reminder: everybody with adjustable radiator valves, make sure to exercise them several times a year, even monthly to keep them working smoothly. Otherwise they corrode and freeze up and when you need them, NADA.

I will turn off the LR in an hour and then turn on the BR for a while just to keep them operating.

Yep, Bedroom valve stuck...had to take off the cover to get enough leverage. Next year it will get exercised during the Summer.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-03-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Usually come November if you are still wearing just boxers, you are going to get "chilly." If I were your LL I would say that you didn't need heat, what you need is warm pajamas and a robe. My 2nd floor tenants called me last week that they were freezing in the apt, and needed heat. I indicated that the heat is set and goes on as needed, and the reason why their particular apt is cold is because they have 3 (poorly installed) a/c units in their windows bringing in lots of cold air...remove the a/c units, close the windows, then let me know if you need heat. Have yet to hear from them.

=)

Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Usually come November if you are still wearing just boxers, you are going to get "chilly." If I were your LL I would say that you didn't need heat, what you need is warm pajamas and a robe. My 2nd floor tenants called me last week that they were freezing in the apt, and needed heat. I indicated that the heat is set and goes on as needed, and the reason why their particular apt is cold is because they have 3 (poorly installed) a/c units in their windows bringing in lots of cold air...remove the a/c units, close the windows, then let me know if you need heat. Have yet to hear from them.

=)
I of course have no landlord just a board who thinks every apartment should be at least 85 degrees unless they open their windows. They obviously cater to the single person who thinks it is ALWAYS cold.
I like 73 degrees for 12 months of the year and I really think I might be in a 5% minority capable of turning a radiator off.
Mine are off again right now but looking out the window it seems that more than half the apartments have windows open.
I would prefer less heat, closed windows and a lower maintenance bill.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 AM

Well, I needed to turn on one of the radiators this morning AND wear flannel "comfy pants" because it was 34 when I awoke and 70 in the LR. But Sun is coming in and it will warm up fast so radiator will get turned off soon.

Are we all comfy this morning?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
This morning there is heat in my apt. which is in older building so I have no control over it. But since it was 33 degrees it is good the heat was on.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
I find it odd that any building, whether it be rental, co-op, or multifamily home, provides so much heat that people must open the windows. What a collossal waste of money! As a co-op owner, you should be complaining to the co-op board about this, since it is a direct cost to you in your maintenance. The co-op board should also install water saving toilets and fixtures, as this would be a savings on your maintenance as well!

These things make a difference and add up...if I were you I would be vocal about it. It's your money, why waste it.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
My radiators, which I complained about a couple weeks ago, turn out to be perfectly adequate once it gets below about 45 outside. It seems that when it's between about 45 and 60 outside, my apartment gets chilly because not much steam makes it up to me on the top floor before the boiler shuts off.

The air vent on the bedroom one is also much noisier than any other steam radiator I've had, so I might still want to replace it...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I find it odd that any building, whether it be rental, co-op, or multifamily home, provides so much heat that people must open the windows. What a collossal waste of money! As a co-op owner, you should be complaining to the co-op board about this, since it is a direct cost to you in your maintenance. The co-op board should also install water saving toilets and fixtures, as this would be a savings on your maintenance as well!

These things make a difference and add up...if I were you I would be vocal about it. It's your money, why waste it.

I know, I know, but I am a newbie here and the board president has held the office since the Norman Invasion.
Personally I think that the Management company gets a kickback on every gallon of oil but I am a cynic and always expect the worst of people.

They are replacing toilets with low flow but the capital cost is high so it's on a need to do basis. My porcelain was all "crazed" when I bought in, so I got a new low flow 1.6L...nice looking but it clogged a couple times.

I thought of running for the board but nobody knows me and worse, I am a perfectionist and free work for a bunch of complaining, blithering idiots would not suit me...I'd likely kill somebody. I was once president of a tenants organization and it was thankless with a capital T. And trying to run a meeting with some old biddy who complains endlessly because she saw an ANT when the building has been without heat for a week is more than body and soul can take.
Last meeting I tried but some doof spent half the meetings time bellyaching about how he can smell marijuana and how we should hire hall monitors...I kid you not.

Finally I have learned that sometimes all I can do is accept a situation and try as best I can to make it work for ME.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-04-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:

Next time during the winter you are walking around a neighborhood with a lot of apartment buildings look up and you will see open windows. Washington Heights for instance is a good place to witness this. Tons of overheated buildings. This is a lot more common than you realize.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
Jeeze, I guess I must like it really cold. We had the window open last night in our apartment!

We used the heat once last year and it was broken when we used it so we never bothered after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City