Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,783 times

Advertisements

A pal of mine told me that NYC had so much CCTV and was so gentrified that he never sees fist fights in NYC any more and I think he was focusing on Manhattan.

Now my question is when was the last time you saw a real dust up? Scrap, toe to toe, one on one, good old fashioned brawl between two people and where do you think would be the most likely venue in the five boroughs to see one?

In Ireland its kind of a tradition in some places to settle disputes this way, like real men and without guns or knives or kicking a man when he is down. Of course not all play by the rules and there are plenty of vicious criminals in Ireland. But in real country places this tradition lives on and men that don't play by the rules are seen as cowards and not men to be respected.

This trailer will give you some idea of what I'm talking about

KNUCKLE Official Film Trailer - YouTube

These men settle their differences with fists and in theory it is supposed to prevent shooting and killing and in some parts of Ireland to an extent it works. But I'm wondering if NYC has become so gentrified that two guys wouldn't know how to throw down in a fist fight if their lives depended upon it. Am I right? Has NYC become that woosified? Because when I visited as a 12 year old it was a pretty intimidating place in parts, especially the west side around and down the block from Times Square.

I know it has changed a lot since but tell me quite simply, when was the last time you seen or even heard about a man on man fist fight. Or even woman on woman. It doesn't have to be a serious feud or anything or even a fight between two people who can box a bit just tell me, are there places in NYC where fist fights are still a regular occurrence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
It is well known that street brawls are the national sport of Ireland, and these street fights are just a normal part of life there. In keeping with tradition, you will find that same sort of behavior anywhere that has a high Irish legal/illegal immigrant population, including Woodlawn in the Bronx, the last Irish stronghold in the borough.

However, I think you are most likely to see a street brawl (excluding playground shenanigans in grammar/HS) in places like Times Square and crowded subway platforms and cars (and sometimes not crowded train cars).

For the record, I don't think street fighting is honorable, or manly, and using the justification of "better than shooting eachother" is a very sad, and juvenile mentality = Irish. It takes a real man to solve his problems with his brains instead of with his fists...while you are all beating eachother to a pulp and claiming you are some sort of manly heroes, the rest of the civilized world looks on with pity. Maybe the luck of the Irish refers to anyone that actually keeps their front teeth until the age of 16...that would be lucky indeed.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
On the subway about 2 years ago. 2 groups of people were involved. I was getting off the train and the conductor was already calling for the NYPD.

Most likely to see things like this. Friday or Saturday/Sunday Between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM in the vicinity of any bars or Nightclubs. Worst time to be outside most places.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:42 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
A couple of months ago in BKLYN. I was on a bus in slow moving traffic, a lot of people stood up in the bus to look out the windows at the fight on the sidewalk.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM

575 posts, read 672,325 times
Did a soccer or hockey game break out?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I had one slightly over a week ago. Does that count?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,863,541 times
At a bar on W 4th a few months ago.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I had one slightly over a week ago. Does that count?
Yep, don't tell me, you should see the other guy?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is well known that street brawls are the national sport of Ireland, and these street fights are just a normal part of life there. In keeping with tradition, you will find that same sort of behavior anywhere that has a high Irish legal/illegal immigrant population, including Woodlawn in the Bronx, the last Irish stronghold in the borough.

However, I think you are most likely to see a street brawl (excluding playground shenanigans in grammar/HS) in places like Times Square and crowded subway platforms and cars (and sometimes not crowded train cars).

For the record, I don't think street fighting is honorable, or manly, and using the justification of "better than shooting eachother" is a very sad, and juvenile mentality = Irish. It takes a real man to solve his problems with his brains instead of with his fists...while you are all beating eachother to a pulp and claiming you are some sort of manly heroes, the rest of the civilized world looks on with pity. Maybe the luck of the Irish refers to anyone that actually keeps their front teeth until the age of 16...that would be lucky indeed.
Mine are still in place, but only just

Are there really kids that grow up these days that have never had a fist fight?

Now that is sad. All that repressed tension is more unhealthy in my opinion. What do you guys do when you find out some dude has been fooling around with your girl? Delete him from your FACEBOOK account

Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Luckily I have never seen one here in NYC. But once I did see an incident of the subway that probably would have developed into a fist fight if not stopped by other passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City