Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
lmao Sobro. Well played.
Meh, he's done this like 20 times over a couple of months. Anytime someone posts some kind of racial thread or something negative about the bronx, he'll sweep right in and make a spin thread.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
the poor conjugation of the verb you are (ya'll)
This is not conjugation--conjugation is subject-verb agreement. I am, you are, s/he is, etc. This is non-standard but perfectly grammatical--Southern English has a form of second personal plural (in common with French and many other languages). You is singular; y'all is plural. It is actually perfectly correct.

Quote:
and the trashing of simple word like three into "tree"
This is from the influence of the Irish--the Irish accent often renders the th sound as a t. Sometimes you'll hear references to "t'irty t'ree and a t'ird"--it's the Irish version of "Pahk the cah in Hahvid Yahd." As another example the Brooklyn "dese dem dose" accent is because of the Southern Italian influence. Strictly speaking these aren't *correct* but dialects do shift and change over time, often because of demographic shifts such as the influx of the Irish in the mid-19th century, or the Southern Italians in the late 19th century.

The original post you're spoofing was obnoxious and race-baiting; I don't mind the spirit of this post, just pointing out a couple of things.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 PM

52 posts, read 136,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's a possibility..it could also be that they tailor their message/tone/manner of speaking based on their audience, as all human beings do. Kinda like when you speak slowly, in basic words, and short sentences, when talking to young kids....and not during a job interview.
bingo! (dont ask questions you already know the answer to)

Old 11-08-2013, 03:54 PM

50 posts, read 98,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlol View Post
bingo! (dont ask questions you already know the answer to)
agree. makes him look stupid

Old 11-08-2013, 04:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Meh, he's done this like 20 times over a couple of months. Anytime someone posts some kind of racial thread or something negative about the bronx, he'll sweep right in and make a spin thread.
As do YOU when someone says anything negative about FDNY.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Did the guy in the original thread suggest that blacks do or don't use the term "yous"?
We're talking about THIS thread. Sobroguy's THREAD and what YOU said regarding blacks supposedly having a dominance on the word "y'all".

Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
As do YOU when someone says anything negative about FDNY.
Never once made a spin thread. You're doing the whole "trying to get me" thing wrong.

I have defended the department from people's (your) complete ignorance of how things actually work though a solid few times. I definitely admit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
We're talking about THIS thread. Sobroguy's THREAD and what YOU said regarding blacks supposedly having a dominance on the word "y'all".
1) You don't have to capitalize random words that you deem necessary to place emphasis on. You're starting come off like that douche kefir queen.

2) Where did I say that blacks have dominance on the word? I said what I said because Sobro makes it seem as if that is a white thing by using it in his example with this spin thread about whitey. He should have chosen a different term if he's gonna go this route. Like some dorky frat boy variation of "bro" or some shyte. Not a term that at least as many blacks in this country use.

Ya dig?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Um, it sort is racial. But, if you sound like an english professor, most people, except other english professors, will not respect you.
Unless you have a British accent, then it's fine.

Anyway, I tawk te way I tawk cuz my parents awe from Joisey. And I yoos "yawl" cause I spent too much time down by de wudder in philly.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 PM

221 posts, read 379,669 times
Maybe they want to prove that they are more like the disadvantaged though they aren't. That, or they suspect you are judging them for being too white so they want to pretend they have some link to minorities...even if it's only bad grammar (because that's how they see minorities--as under-educated).

Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
marilyn would rather you mock the protectors of this city who lost almost 10% of their work force during 9/11, instead of mocking the general (not all but most) filth of the bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City