Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM

159 posts, read 338,376 times

Advertisements

I've been working in the DC metro area since graduating my program in 2007. I am looking for a change, and i am strongly considering continuing my career in the city, or just outside the city in New Jersey. I am over the politics and power-hungriness that pervades the DMV culture. Lot's of Type-A's and competitive folks who are all about their jobs. A lot of people move to the DC area because of a career, so I could see why that is the case. But in NY I will be surrounded by a lot of family and some old friends. I wonder if corporate/professional culture in NY will be more similar to DC, or are young professionals different in NYC. If I were to secure a job in the city, it would be my first time ever being employed in NY, apart from an internship I did on campus. Any advice is welcome regarding commuting and flexibility, social life among young professionals, and opportunities/networking. Btw, I am single (in a relationship) black F in my early 30s.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:04 PM

205 posts, read 506,248 times
At the least, very similar but, in comparison to DC, it could even be more prominent. You might be enthusiastic about the nostalgia of living in NYC, but, inevitably, you'll experience the same environment here.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 PM

371 posts, read 524,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
At the least, very similar but, in comparison to DC, it could even be more prominent. You might be enthusiastic about the nostalgia of living in NYC, but, inevitably, you'll experience the same environment here.

Good luck.
Agreed, it's part of the reason why I want to leave NYC. Very hard to get upward mobility as its mostly about sucking up and kissing ass. I should have been promoted a few times already but have gotten zilch.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
Agreed, it's part of the reason why I want to leave NYC. Very hard to get upward mobility as its mostly about sucking up and kissing ass. I should have been promoted a few times already but have gotten zilch.
You know that's universal, right? The only thing better for your prospects than sucking up and kissing ass is if a family member runs the company. Anywhere.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You know that's universal, right? The only thing better for your prospects than sucking up and kissing ass is if a family member runs the company. Anywhere.
Nepotism Demotivator® - Demotivational posters from Despair.com

We promote family values here- almost as often as we promote family members.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,216,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post

Good luck.
I will say that, while NYC and DC both have very work-focused cultures, their work cultures are nonetheless different, in ways that may or may not be appealing. In particular, in DC people are obsessed with prestige--who you know, who you've met, who you work for, etc. The most important thing is to sound impressive, and people are driven to work hard in order to be able to brag about their work to others. Many former DCers I know got frustrated with the near-constant name-dropping and being expected to work hard for less money but lots of "connections". In NYC, people are obsessed with money rather than prestige. The work culture in NYC drives people to work hard to make money, and money is considered paramount, which some people also dislike. People are, at least relative to DC, less interested in bragging about the prestige of their job or their connections, and they generally don't take otherwise mediocre jobs just to say they worked with Senator so-and-so or Secretary such-and-such. (That will only make sense to someone who has worked in DC--New York is still much more concerned with prestige than much of the country.) Also, even though money is very important to NYC work culture, NYers generally don't go around declaring how much money they make the way DCers go around talking about who they work for/with.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I will say that, while NYC and DC both have very work-focused cultures, their work cultures are nonetheless different, in ways that may or may not be appealing. In particular, in DC people are obsessed with prestige--who you know, who you've met, who you work for, etc. The most important thing is to sound impressive, and people are driven to work hard in order to be able to brag about their work to others. Many former DCers I know got frustrated with the near-constant name-dropping and being expected to work hard for less money but lots of "connections". In NYC, people are obsessed with money rather than prestige. The work culture in NYC drives people to work hard to make money, and money is considered paramount, which some people also dislike. People are, at least relative to DC, less interested in bragging about the prestige of their job or their connections, and they generally don't take otherwise mediocre jobs just to say they worked with Senator so-and-so or Secretary such-and-such. (That will only make sense to someone who has worked in DC--New York is still much more concerned with prestige than much of the country.) Also, even though money is very important to NYC work culture, NYers generally don't go around declaring how much money they make the way DCers go around talking about who they work for/with.
I can see this. Speaking from a DC perspective, in one of my entry-level roles, I worked with many smart folks who worked "on the hill" in "so-and-so's" office as an intern. I didn't come her for the "connections" I came here for a job. I guess that's the difference between me and the pervasive culture here. I want to be able to make a living with my degree, which is not in politics or government. Even in my corporate job, i feel like the heirarchy is so ridiculously strong. It's all about titles.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,928,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
I've been working in the DC metro area since graduating my program in 2007. I am looking for a change, and i am strongly considering continuing my career in the city, or just outside the city in New Jersey. I am over the politics and power-hungriness that pervades the DMV culture. Lot's of Type-A's and competitive folks who are all about their jobs. A lot of people move to the DC area because of a career, so I could see why that is the case. But in NY I will be surrounded by a lot of family and some old friends. I wonder if corporate/professional culture in NY will be more similar to DC, or are young professionals different in NYC. If I were to secure a job in the city, it would be my first time ever being employed in NY, apart from an internship I did on campus. Any advice is welcome regarding commuting and flexibility, social life among young professionals, and opportunities/networking. Btw, I am single (in a relationship) black F in my early 30s.

Thanks!
Cupcakes & Yoga.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,817,306 times
In general, very competitive. Expected to put work above most other things. Obviously every place is different, but it's a good general estimate.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Cupcakes & Yoga.
Sounds awfully familiar to DC. Not promising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City