Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, she's not talking about bad credit. She's talking about not giving any paperwork or any info on herself whatsoever. My point is that when someone comes on here asking for a thing that is possible but not likely or difficult to find, that that should be made very clear.

Like if someone says they want to find an $800 apartment in Queens or Brooklyn. Ok, possible. But difficult to find. And if it does happen, it's going to be very limiting in terms of location or quality of neighborhood.

Also, you didn't answer my question about whether you actually know how many landlords are doing credit checks and income verification and how many aren't. Probably you didn't answer it because you don't know. Did you yourself do an apartment search while refusing to give any info about your credit or your income? If so, share your experience.

Lastly, telling someone who is moving from out of state to come here and accomplish something through "friends" isn't really all that helpful, unless the person is from here originally or has significant contacts through a new job or education program, AND has a lot of time to spend networking and asking around.
Its not my job to be helpful to the OP. I answered the OP's question on how to find apartments that require no paperwork. I've done it myself, through people I know. Its the OP's responsibility to figure out how to find an apartment without doing paperwork in NYC if that's the OP's goal. Its not my responsibility to care about the location or the quality of the neighborhood. I am answering the OP's question honestly, and the rest is entirely up to the OP.

I speak, read, and write Spanish. Years ago I rented a room in a house in Jackson Heights, where I shared with illegal immigrants. I paid in cash. There was no credit checks. Yes, they won't mind taking Americans. You just will pay everything in cash. I got this from the Spanish speaking newspapers.

There's other immigrant newspapers one can look into for these kinds of deals, and craigslist as well. As noted, they don't have to be just rooms, they can be whole sections of homes. These units may be illegally subdivided, so cash is king.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 11-11-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Also, if the OP wants to move to NYC right away and doesn't immediately need an apartment, the OP can go on craigslist and rent a room (no credit check) and that way take the time to find an apartment to suit his or her specifications.

A credit check doesn't necessarily protect the landlord. Someone can lose their job, and it will still take the landlord a few months to evict them if they stop paying their rent. So its not the protection people make it out to be.

For the rest of you, I doubt the OP is going to respond again. The OP has said they don't give out their social security number and that they have been renting houses and apartments for 20 years this way. There's no reason to project your personal preferences on the OP. Perhaps the OP is low income (or maybe not, not my business or concern so I will not judge) . Or believe it or not, I have known people in NYC who will not use credit and who have no bank accounts. There are people in NYC who use check cashing places and money orders when they need to pay bills (Americans).

So OP, if you're determined to find an apartment that doesn't require credit checks, start posting housing wanted ads on craigslist. There's no point in getting into arguments with people here who have to be experts on everything.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its not my job to be helpful to the OP.
Clearly.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM

72 posts, read 130,259 times
It's not only places where lots of immigrants live, but also lots of students. I've known college students who lived in basement apartments, etc. in Queens, and they didn't have much of a credit history, etc. being students. Craigslist is probably a decent place to start.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
I actually know someone who stumbled upon an apartment a couple years ago where the landlords asked for nothing--no credit, no income verification, just the first couple months' rent. It was very cheap for the neighborhood, too. The landlords owned the business on the first floor. They seemed completely unaware of the present New York rental market and were still operating like it was 1980 or something.

Anyway your chance of finding something like that is much less than one in a million, so forget about it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It's close to impossible. People have been screwed over too many times and now everyone wants not only income verification but credit checks as well.

You'd be very lucky to just happen to walk by a house or building with an "Apartment for Rent" sign in the window.
And once you walk into the apartment, owner or broker at your side, you will be asked for credit histories and income verification. In fact, many times before you see the place at all.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM

50 posts, read 98,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
this company helps with this type of thing. I know they do this fr foreigners. I think its about $3K. They still need you to have good credit and money in the bank. just maybe not income verification. Rental Guarantor & Lease Cosign Company in Boston, Chicago, DC & NYC - Insurent Lease Guaranty
How are they? Always wanted to try.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM

225 posts, read 382,587 times
Actually no immediate plans for moving to the city. I had a discussion with my husband about the rental market in NYC. He would love to move there. I am much more reluctant. I would prefer Seattle.

NYwriterdude, I really appreciate your candor. You actually were the most helpful of all the posts. I really appreciate everyone´s input. I found it all very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City