Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,964,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstro87 View Post
since i have class A...are they going to want me to come back to get trained on the wrecker? i really dont want to if i dont have to
Only if u go to a wrecker garage and take the GU tissue will you be trained on it.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,387,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Only if u go to a wrecker garage and take the GU tissue will you be trained on it.

what's a wrecker garage? is there a secret garage with nothing but wreckers i don't know about lol

You don't actually have to be on the tissue to be sent, but you have to be either the tissue holder or a constant fill in on some shift (I.E. maybe you ffill in the midnight GU spot every time the usual guy is chart). They aren't going to waste time and money training you if you're not going to drive it.

Same with other vehicles. If you were in say the Bronx...if you went to BX1 or BX6 where there was a ton of EZ Packs, you'll get sent for the 2 day training. If you go to any other BX garage...there's no EZ Pack so they will never send you to train for it.

Some places try to get people to go because they are short. (I.E. perhaps every guy trained on it now is 6-2 every day and every midnight they have no one in several garages except the actual wrecker guy and they come up short a lot with vacations and such. So they send a list asking the 8-4 foreman for a list of regular fill ins. This happens often in areas where a ton of guys are new and therefore not qualified....so in other words...every year in Bronx west lol)

Old 11-16-2013, 05:45 PM

311 posts, read 457,840 times
what about when i get in a garage..i can strictly sign up for nights right? i know if other guys higher then me sign up/want it im beat..but all im hoping to do is work nights and do relays every night

Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,387,570 times
Quote:
what about when i get in a garage..i can strictly sign up for nights right? i know if other guys higher then me sign up/want it im beat..but all im hoping to do is work nights and do relays every night

hmmm there's a high chance you're going to manhattan north or bronx west right out of fbf....they don't have relays...so yeah you are beat until you can transfer next year

but yes you can sign nights whenever you get to a garage but it depends on the garage. Especially in most of the garages you guys will go to there be only a few functions at night and they may be taken so even if you sign nights...you may bounce around. Or you may go and be the bottom guy and no matter what you want...you are doing midnight baskets. Bottom guys are usually night baskets if there are night baskets. But you never know...wherever you go guys might lock down baskets for whatever reason. But expect baskets and not relays. (this way if it goes another way it is a pleasant surprise and not a bummer). You could get midtown and do some day baskets though I would think M1-6 should have gotten most of whatever they're gonna get. But for all I know a billion people have transfers out of there lol

Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM

haha damn..id be the happiest guy in dsny doing relays...would bring me back to my tractor trailers days in a way lol and i dont mind doing baskets...i wana stay low key...thats why i figured relays may be good lol

Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 PM

whatever i gota do..i dont care..keep my mouth shut..cover my ass..be safe and ill be fine

Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
what's a wrecker garage? is there a secret garage with nothing but wreckers i don't know about lol

You don't actually have to be on the tissue to be sent, but you have to be either the tissue holder or a constant fill in on some shift (I.E. maybe you ffill in the midnight GU spot every time the usual guy is chart). They aren't going to waste time and money training you if you're not going to drive it.

Same with other vehicles. If you were in say the Bronx...if you went to BX1 or BX6 where there was a ton of EZ Packs, you'll get sent for the 2 day training. If you go to any other BX garage...there's no EZ Pack so they will never send you to train for it.

Some places try to get people to go because they are short. (I.E. perhaps every guy trained on it now is 6-2 every day and every midnight they have no one in several garages except the actual wrecker guy and they come up short a lot with vacations and such. So they send a list asking the 8-4 foreman for a list of regular fill ins. This happens often in areas where a ton of guys are new and therefore not qualified....so in other words...every year in Bronx west lol)
I was under the impression some garages don't have a wrecker truck and when one of their trucks go down they pull the Gu from a close garage with the wrecker. Sorry bout that. Guess I misunderstood.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
haha damn..id be the happiest guy in dsny doing relays...would bring me back to my tractor trailers days in a way lol and i dont mind doing baskets...i wana stay low key...thats why i figured relays may be good lol
Come to m4, we have relays

Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Come to m4, we have relays
ill put my transfer in right away then lol

Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM

might be a dumb question...but straight outta fbf...can i request a garage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.