Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 PM

311 posts, read 458,147 times

Advertisements

Possible big snow storm Thursday..significant amount of snow cbs 2 said...yeah buddy

Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen6275 View Post
Reporting to the garage is a snap too. No traffic. Nobody in the city tomorrow........oh wait. Lol. I bet they'll have to force you to do it next year. Lol. Enjoy it though. It's pretty cool.
I'm sure it's not as great as being off but hey, either wa I had to work since I wasn't chart and it's not a holiday, and I look at it like this, I've never been to TS and never would have gone on my personal time either, but it's always something I thought would be cool to check out, now I get paid to be there, I'm not part of the cleanup crew, not really sure what I'm doing, but I just know I'll be in the area, I had no other plans anyway so this worked out well IMO

Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,129 times
TS back in the day was fun. Did the basket route there on New Years Eve when we still had steps hanging on the truck with a party hat and new years glasses on. It was fun.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahmani1000 View Post
any new news on hiring??
Our first priority is snow in DSNY. There's never going to be any news on much this time of year. You can look for hiring around same time as last few years (July/August) unless new mayor wants to impress. Whenever it is, someone will post...probably mattstro or nycfinest cause they'll be elated at their incoming seniority

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
re-post, seeing if anyone might be able to help this time around:

Did anyone pass the written exam but not take the physical test?

I have a friend who passed the written exam, list #61XX. For whatever reason, he didn't get the letter to take the physical test and missed it. Until the list extension, he didn't think twice about it since he felt he had no shot anyway. The DSNY website says this:

Any candidate who passed the written exam # 6063 and has list # below 6,856 but was not scheduled for the physical test should visit the DCAS website for further instructions.

He called DCAS, and was told that if/when they offer another physical test, that he and anyone else who didn't take it will be invited to take it again.

My questions are: Has DSNY ever asked for a second round of physical tests? And would they wait until they hit 6856 before they even thought about doing another round?

With the list extension until 2016, I guess it would be possible to do another round, but I told him I have no idea. No one else that I know OTJ is really sure either.

Any info is appreciated.

There's several batches of physical tests. Sometimes people miss them for whatever reason (busy, didn't get letter, etc). Every time they finish a batch that message changes to the new number. In other words, at one point it probably said anyone under list 680. Then next it said under 1653. Etc etc. They constantly try to stay well ahead of the curve but who knows with list extensions. So that current number is the highest list number they did. The last class went 500 list numbers to hire 100ish and last hired was 4052. It's possible they'll get past that.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:28 PM

156 posts, read 370,046 times
thanks AWOL...I assumed they gave just one physical test since the list was established. Because if they did several batches of physical tests so far, he would've gotten another letter after missing the first one.

The last pre-orientation letter (according to the DSNY website) was sent to 4890. He's worried that they'll skip his list number (61XX) when it's his turn for pre-orientation, since they've already given the physical test up to 6856 (I wish there was a way to know if 6856 was the last person they invited to take the physical test).

I told him if they get close to 61XX for pre-orientation latters, they might give another physical test just to be safe and have enough candidates...I mean, they gave the physical test up to 6856 (at least) and they just cracked 4000 with the hiring. So if they get close to 61XX for hiring, why wouldn't they do another round of physical tests up to 8000 (or more) just to be safe.

He already has his CDL, and with 2 more years of the list, what once looked like no chance seems like a decent chance at 61XX. He just needs to take that physical test to be officially back on the list.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
thanks AWOL...I assumed they gave just one physical test since the list was established. Because if they did several batches of physical tests so far, he would've gotten another letter after missing the first one.

The last pre-orientation letter (according to the DSNY website) was sent to 4890. He's worried that they'll skip his list number (61XX) when it's his turn for pre-orientation, since they've already given the physical test up to 6856 (I wish there was a way to know if 6856 was the last person they invited to take the physical test).

I told him if they get close to 61XX for pre-orientation latters, they might give another physical test just to be safe and have enough candidates...I mean, they gave the physical test up to 6856 (at least) and they just cracked 4000 with the hiring. So if they get close to 61XX for hiring, why wouldn't they do another round of physical tests up to 8000 (or more) just to be safe.

He already has his CDL, and with 2 more years of the list, what once looked like no chance seems like a decent chance at 61XX. He just needs to take that physical test to be officially back on the list.
Okay first of all, they do NOT send multiple letters. If you're ninety 100, they send a letter. If you miss it, sucks to be you. You never get another. They just keep going through the list. They're not going to resend letters to everyone who didn't show, they assume that person didn't want the job.

Secondly, last hired 4052. Last invited to pre-orientation was 4890. Last to take physical test was 6856.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 AM

156 posts, read 370,046 times
I got you man, I'm on the job lol. Been a minute since I've been through the process. I'm just trying to help him out.

You said they do "batches of physical tests". When he called Sanitation HR, he was told everyone who misses the physical test for whatever reason gets invited to take it again if/when they do another batch of physical tests (all the lower numbers that missed it). DCAS told him his physical test was scheduled in Nov. 2008. He hasn't been given another chance to take it.

So I'm assuming he'll get another letter for the physical test if/when they give another "batch" of physical tests to let him know. How else would he know about it? I'm also assuming because he didn't get another invite, the last physical test they did was 5 years ago (when he was supposed to have done it), and invited everyone up to 6856.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 AM

176 posts, read 264,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
Our first priority is snow in DSNY. There's never going to be any news on much this time of year. You can look for hiring around same time as last few years (July/August) unless new mayor wants to impress. Whenever it is, someone will post...probably mattstro or nycfinest cause they'll be elated at their incoming seniority
Hey I got 5 guys beat. ..lol... but most of them want to transfer out so we will see what happens next year... if my car pool people leave than I probably will follow suit

Old 12-31-2013, 05:33 AM

186 posts, read 351,784 times
Quote:
re-post, seeing if anyone might be able to help this time around:

Did anyone pass the written exam but not take the physical test?

I have a friend who passed the written exam, list #61XX. For whatever reason, he didn't get the letter to take the physical test and missed it. Until the list extension, he didn't think twice about it since he felt he had no shot anyway. The DSNY website says this:

Any candidate who passed the written exam # 6063 and has list # below 6,856 but was not scheduled for the physical test should visit the DCAS website for further instructions.

He called DCAS, and was told that if/when they offer another physical test, that he and anyone else who didn't take it will be invited to take it again.

My questions are: Has DSNY ever asked for a second round of physical tests? And would they wait until they hit 6856 before they even thought about doing another round?

With the list extension until 2016, I guess it would be possible to do another round, but I told him I have no idea. No one else that I know OTJ is really sure either.

Any info is appreciated.
They gave a second physical,first round every one 100 or more.I took the second round with a score 98.75. My brother did not realize he did not get his resident 5 points,He went to HR with proof they reajusted his score.He should of been called for second round,They told him to keep track of his mail and call HR every couple week.He is hopeing for a third round too.On the brite side they extended the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.