U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 PM

9 posts, read 9,368 times

Advertisements

I'm going to NYC for a trip for a week. We'll have a bit of free time and I want to know what I absolutely should not leave New York without doing. I've been before, done touristy stuff and I'll be doing more touristy stuff this trip (MoMa, Met, NY Philharmonic, etc.) however, what are they non touristy things to do. Any reasonably priced thrift shops? Any cool eateries (I'm a veggie)? Any cool free things to do? Do tell! I want to make the most out of this trip. I'll be staying closer to Midtown but have unlimited Subway access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:01 AM

11,198 posts, read 21,619,343 times
I'm not sure how to answer the "don't leave NY without doing..." because it's too dramatic for me, but if you like food, you should check some of the local blogs where bloggers cover unusual food in all the boroughs. I'm sure there are some cuisines where it would be easy to eat vegetarian. If you choose some off-the-beaten path restaurants, you will get to see the neighborhoods where they are located as well.

Greek food in Astoria Serious Eats: New York: Queens: Astoria
Thai food in Woodside Serious Eats: New York: Queens: Woodside

If you want more upscale/hipster type food, you could try Smorgasburg Smorgasburg | A Brooklyn Flea Food Market

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 AM

632 posts, read 638,475 times
So many things!

I recommend wandering around the immigrant neighborhoods. Go to Flushing in Queens then take the 7 to Jackson Heights. In Flushing you can see a smaller but more authentic Chinatown. In Jackson Heights try on some Indian clothing and buy some bangles. Colombian, Indian and many forms of Chinese cuisine are available in these areas. Do some research to find ideal vegetarian dishes in Chinatown but it will be easy in the Indian area and you can stick to pastries at the Colombian shops. This trip can be done in one day. Take a camera and comfy shoes.

If you give me an idea about what you like and where you are from I can give you other suggestions.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 AM

108 posts, read 116,659 times
The highlight of my trip to New York was walking the length of Manhattan, from the very bottom to the very top. Seeing the shifting landscape, the different neighborhoods, different faces, was simply fantastic.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 AM

31,983 posts, read 32,756,517 times
As Vegetarian you should try one of the Indian restaurants in Jackson Heights, Queens

For a great view of NYC eastern skyline ride the Roosevelt Island tram for the price of a subway fare.

Take the free Staten Island ferry for a great view of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. On the Brooklyn side walk along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for a good view of Lower Manhattan. Then eat at one of the many restaurants along Montegue Street.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-13-2013, 03:19 AM

929 posts, read 1,298,156 times
Most vegetarian-friendly food is going to be something you can find outside of New York, unfortunately. However, if you're one of the vegetarians who consumes some dairy, I would recommend trying out our various well-regarded pizzerias, bagel stores, and ice cream shops. Other traditional New York food staples almost all contain meat, whether it's General Tso's Chicken, hot dogs, knishes, steaks, deli sandwiches, etc.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 AM

4,925 posts, read 7,044,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As Vegetarian you should try one of the Indian restaurants in Jackson Heights, Queens

For a great view of NYC eastern skyline ride the Roosevelt Island tram for the price of a subway fare.

Take the free Staten Island ferry for a great view of Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. On the Brooklyn side walk along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for a good view of Lower Manhattan. Then eat at one of the many restaurants along Montegue Street.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2
You know you can get rid of that "tapatalk" signature right? Just go into the app settings and erase it.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:14 AM

483 posts, read 727,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raya03 View Post
I'm going to NYC for a trip for a week. We'll have a bit of free time and I want to know what I absolutely should not leave New York without doing. ....however, what are they non touristy things to do. Any reasonably priced thrift shops? Any cool eateries (I'm a veggie)? Any cool free things to do? Do tell! I want to make the most out of this trip. I'll be staying closer to Midtown but have unlimited Subway access.
DON'T LEAVE NEW YORK WITHOUT going to what remains of Village on Saint Mark's Place. Take #6 train to Astor Place and walk past black revolving cube across the street from Starbuck's. There's plenty to do in area. Here are suggestions: take pics at Cooper Union "diamond" building, visit Norman's store for new media/unique t-shirts, and get tasty pizza slices at 2 Bros (psst...$1 each).

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM

922 posts, read 1,931,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You know you can get rid of that "tapatalk" signature right? Just go into the app settings and erase it.
Maybe she likes it that way.

Sent from my NSA -workstation10008 using SpyApp V2013

Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM

268 posts, read 414,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
So many things!

I recommend wandering around the immigrant neighborhoods.
Why in the hell would anyone want to do that?

Gross!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City