Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

86 posts, read 312,442 times

Advertisements

Hi Tiferna,

It is true that we don't select units when drop off our paperwork. Not too sure if they'll select the unit for us though... From what I understand, they're going to contact me in 3-4 weeks for further processing. The fact that I dropped some info yesterday doesn't guarantee me an apartment whatsoever. They need to evaluate me further first.

Long Island City is definitely developing a lot lately, the area where the apartment is especially. The immediate area around the apartment doesn't seem to be the greatest, a bit desolate/seedy but not where I'd feel very uncomfortable, there's lots of people around. Not a whole lot of food/attractions nearby but I saw several very tall residential buildings being built so I imagine that'll change quite a bit over the next few years.

On the bright side, the subway (Queensboro Plaza, N Q 7 trains) is about five minutes away and it only took me 18 minutes to get to the apartment from my job in Greenwich Village, which is a shorter commute time than many areas of Manhattan.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 104,486 times
Ahhh I see, just as I had assumed. I guess LIC in general is still a work in progress. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,421 times
I dropped my paper work off on Nov 20th per the instructions on the postcard I received. After providing the documentation they asked me what type of apartment did I prefer (1BR or 2BR). Not sure if they asked you guys that. BTW, I have the Municipal preference and my log number is in the 2000's. Anyone here with the Municipal, Disabled, or Community preference?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM

86 posts, read 312,442 times
Sorry - I misspoke. Knuck is right, you do tell them what type of apartment you want. In my case, I only qualify for a studio so I didn't think much of it. However, you don't get to pick a specific unit.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:36 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
I applied and never heard back. I was so excited to finally find a lottery that I qualified for. My household/income bracket is almost always excluded.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,188 times
I received a post card in mid November to bring in documents this coming week. My log # says Gen and is in the 30's. I don't qualify for any of the preferences so I'm assuming they're now going through the general lottery.

A friend who qualifies based on community board preference had his meeting in early November and was advised he would hear back in 2 weeks. After he didn't he called and was advised they were moving behind schedule and would send the follow up letters shortly.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,983 times
Hi All,

Found this thread while doing a google search (I'm so anxious about the prospect of this new apartment!) and thought I'd register for the forum and contribute. It's interesting to see in what stage everyone is at. I got my notification at the end of October 2013 (Community Board preference # in the high 2000s) and submitted my documents early November. I can confirm what everyone else pretty much said about document submission, asking for preferences, etc.

The woman who handled my paperwork said that the building MIGHT be finished December and ready for move-in by January. She wasn't the most confident in the delivery of that statement, though! Given how behind they are on the paperwork, I imagine move in would be later than January. The building seems finished, though, as documented on the Brownstoner blog: Construction Wrapping Up at Affordable Housing Development on 41st Avenue | Brownstoner Queens

As for the area, it is most definitely in an underdeveloped part of LIC. You're obviously not going to get the waterfront views and the hip shops/bars/restaurants on Vernon Blvd, but those things aren't that far of a trek on the subway. Manhattan is but one stop on the N/Q/R/7. I currently live in Astoria (an area I much prefer over some of the developed places in LIC), and you're not far from some of the major Avenues (30th, Broadway, Ditmars, etc.)

So, I pretty much rambled on about things people have already said (whoops!). Hope everyone can give updates on their progress as they continue to roll out this process!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 37,130 times
It's been a month since I left my paperwork and have not received any answers. I'm a community board resident with a number in the high 2 thousands. What a loooong wait :| !!! Has anyone received an answer yet? Has anyone called?

I'm anxious to know what's going on???

Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 17,207 times
I called them on Monday of this week and the lady on the phone said that they were hoping to send out letters and make phone calls to people by the end of this week. She said they were 95% done with all of the paperwork processing, and that it could possibly take them until next week to get back to people. I think the waiting game may continue a little bit longer!

We are community board residents as well and dropped of our paperwork on Oct.31- hopefully we all find out in just a few more days!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 37,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1229 View Post
I called them on Monday of this week and the lady on the phone said that they were hoping to send out letters and make phone calls to people by the end of this week. She said they were 95% done with all of the paperwork processing, and that it could possibly take them until next week to get back to people. I think the waiting game may continue a little bit longer!

We are community board residents as well and dropped of our paperwork on Oct.31- hopefully we all find out in just a few more days!
Thanks for this valuable info! I will rest easy until next week.

At this point I'm not sure I'll get in since there are only 3 units of the type of apt I wanted to get in (2 bedroom at $1,668) and most likely there are a lot of people ahead of me with the same Idea.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery