Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM

913 posts, read 2,273,022 times

Advertisements

That would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Four more months till the end of the year. I'm guessing all the units are filled already.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 37,130 times
So after more than a week I called the office and I was told that my application had not even been sent to HPD for review, that I was missing the application signature which btw must be notarized. This process had become just unbearable and I decided to withdraw from this poorly manage process.

I'm a community board on the 3,000s and was called because they're having problems meeting the 50% CB requirement. They had available 3 weeks ago 4 two bedrooms, 2 upper level and 2 on the 4th floor. $2,186 is not worth it if you are a family with kids, it is a desert, schools are bad and it's unsafe. Not worth more of my energy or paying so much rent for such tiny apts.

Best luck to all, this place is ideal for couples with no children.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM

My log number is in the 1990 range and i got a call almost 2 months ago saying I was next in line and that they'd call me the following week to come in a sign a floor plan. Haven't heard from anyone since and it's been about 2 months by now. Approaching Labor Day and I doubt I'll hear from them. Just their ridiculous demands irritates me.

You are right about the area and it being unsafe. You don't want to raise children in that kind of environment when drug users are smoking pot and doing weed outside their section 8 apartment with no job to go to.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM

I keep telling people that dealing with them is like dealing with the DMV, unemployment line, or food stamp line and than people get offended and start throwing the "R" word around without knowing the actual definition. These people don't need advanced degrees to do their job. They're very robotic and no judgment is required. It's very "I need 6 points in order to issue you a drivers license."

I'll be in utter and complete shock if they ever call me back.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM

28 posts, read 59,484 times
Section 8 apartments are standard market rent apartments where the government pays part of the tenant's rent. Therefore section 8 isn't indicative of a crime ridden underclass neighborhood. My uncle has a 2 family house in a middle class neighborhood, one unit of which he occupies and the other he rents to a section 8 tenant. He prefers renting to section 8 tenants because they are working class people who simply don't make enough to afford market rent. All in all, section 8 tenants have the income to afford the unsubsidized portion of the rent they're responsible for paying. Further, this arrangement lowers the credit risk the landlord is taking on because receipt of the subsidized portion is backed by the government.

This kind of set up is very similar to the lottery apartment programs we're seeking now, wherein the government subsidized the rent by providing financing during development. The only difference is that subsidies are provided on a monthly basis in a section 8 arrangement vs. lump sum subsidy during development. In the end though, both programs make it possible for people making $25,000/yr to live in a quality privately owed property paying far less out of pocket vs. market rent.

If we're going to stigmatize section 8 tenants as being unemployed drug users who loiters the street, then based on the similarities between the section 8 and lottery programs, it may be fair to similarly stigmatize lottery apartment tenants as well. However, I believe such stigmatization would largely be baseless.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM

It can't be baseless since we're talking about it.

i know someone who is middle income/working class and they want to be in Q41, but told me they don't want to mingle with people who are in the 45K salary range because they said it'll be a clash with people who make double or triple that. They said a 2 family house that makes 45K annually has negative connotations. I can totally relate to where she is coming from.

People who male 25K and under to me are not really considered middle or working class. They might not have aspirations to improve their life because a lot of them say it's not worth it if their rent will increase so they respond and say: I guess I'm a hoodie and sweat pants Timbaland wearing person for the rest of my life

Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 AM

28 posts, read 59,484 times
Considering the median household income in NYC is in the mid $50K, for there to be any merit to what you're saying, we have to assume that every multi income household whose income falls within the median are comprised of scum of the earth people. That assumption will not be true therefore your stigmatization is unfounded.

I believe the real issue is how families making mid $50k afford to live in NYC without subsidized rent.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 AM

It is the hardest things trying to survive on 50K in NYC. I know what it's like. I totally sympathize and trying to rise above it and pull ones self from the medium space to a higher space is a great struggle.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 9,199 times
so i just called 347-738-5158 and tried to ask about the status of my application. i was called in months ago to check out different floorplans and pick one, etc. they ran my credit (790) was approved and i ended up signing a 2bed/1bath floorplan. she just told me that they are not up log numbers in the 2000s. but ppl on this forum are saying otherwise...how can i find out any more info?

also if this doesn't work out, are there any sites besides craigslist that are recommended for apt hunting?

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery