Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,872 times

Advertisements

I'm literally in tears now. They're streaming down my face and I can't stop it. Someone please make it stop!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:34 PM

74 posts, read 170,775 times
Oh no! What happened?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:50 PM

21 posts, read 36,003 times
I feel your pain! Hang in there. I had to resubmit a lot of paperwork too because they said some of the info expires after a certain amount of days. We had all submitted papers in May...

Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM

I can't even get into it cause I'll cry even more, but it's about a lot if paperwork.

I was told so many people withdraw from the lottery because units are overpriced or they want a balcony etc.

How was everyone else's experience? Any of you think this will be the last stretch before you move on?

Dishwasher, did u sign for another unit that was shown to you?

ms.modular, how many bedrooms 4 u and are u definitely getting it and moving in?

I just get so upset because how does paperwork expire? My latest W2 didn't seem to expire in their eyes!!!!!

Last edited by q41apartments; 08-15-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 PM

The paperwork they asked us to re-submit is our latest pay stubs, which makes sense. The city wants to make sure you're still within income guidelines.

I did not sign for another unit. I'm still going for 15J. I figure if I move, I want to move into a as-close-to-forever home as possible. If I don't get what I want in this building I'll keep applying to other lotteries until I get what I want. I want to be a long-term NYer and want a place that is comfortable and convenient to raise a family in. If they offer me a unit that is below my standards and I take it, that could restrict me from future affordable housing opportunities.

I hope you feel better - I'm sorry that you have to go through so much stress. I feel your pain too!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 PM

They told me last week that if your salary increases in 10 years (just an example) and at that point it exceeds the income cap that you will be asked to move because you are no longer considered middle income. I've never heard of such a thing. Plus, this was not conveyed when i asked this question during the open house.

I'm bursting into tears.

so where did you leave it off when you left the office?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM

WHAT????? That is ridiculous. They told me during the process that if you get a place and your salary increases then it won't affect anything... that defies the whole point of affordable housing! Are they planning on taking our W2s every year??? Ridiculous. You might have received mis-information. Or at least I hope so.

I left the office by crossing fingers that I get the unit I want. They're supposed to call me back by the end of the month to let me know what happens with the guy who is currently in 1st place for the unit. If he doesn't get his **** together, I'm getting it. But from the conversation my husband had with them two days ago it sounds like the other guy will get the place. Who knows.

Don't stress over this process. Keep applying to other lotteries through the Housing Connect website I posted earlier and you'll eventually get something

Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 PM

You know that news made me burst into tears.

I was not told that during the open house. I know people who live in section 8 housing and also lotteries in luxury condos and everything is rent stablized. However, if your salary from some reason we're to spike because of a raise or obtaining a new job, the rent would increase more than the standard 2%, but under no circumstances would it spike up $300.00 or $500.00 because it always meant to be affordable and not the going market rate. Instead of the usual $30.00 increase, it might go up $55.00, but that's understandable to accommodate the new salary for that individual. This is just an example and this was how it was explained to me at the open house and this seems logical, but when I went in last week I inquired and was given that outrageous answer.

I was told at the open house that during lease renewal, the tenant would need to provide probably 2 current paystubs to confirm they're still eligible to pay rent based on the minimum income requirements. They're not going to do your W2 and background check all over again. Just paystubs request. I was also told that last week except the extra part about being asked to leave should you exceed their definition of "middle income". I also went to the middle income housing site after this news and its FAQ section doesn't say anything about being asked to leave. It keeps mentioning rent would increase per board guidelines which i assume is nothing ludicrous.

Why does the guy keep appealing the unit you want? What is he doing that he can't secure the unit? You would only get it if he drops out? What's so special about the unit you want?

I don't have a problem applying on that site but i know the process is going to be absurd just as this process was so now i can brace myself in advance, but you and i both know that site has 95% lotteries geared towards low income. They all ask for 27K and under so you and i don't fall into that category.

In addition, i live in Astoria borderline LIC and my lease is up in 1 month, so honestly at this point, I am in dire need of this to go through. I was told repeatedly not to worry because it will and that is the last hurdle in the way. I am not go into renew my lease for another year and be stuck in Astoria/LIC and all of a sudden this lottery decides to approve me 3 weeks into my new lease. But I was assured what's left should be a quick process.

Last edited by q41apartments; 08-15-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 PM

I don't want to give details because I know the folks at Q41 read the forum and I'd like to keep the info I received about other people confidential... but basically he has to meet a certain qualification by the end of the month or else he can't get the place. All I'll say is that based on this qualification, he doesn't deserve the place. I've been a public servant and educator for 10 years - working wayyyyy more hours than I get paid for and educating children in only low-income communities. Based on my service to this city and my struggle on my salary (I could easily sell out and get paid WAY more than I do, but I choose to serve our kids and communities), I know I deserve the place more than this guy... yes, I'm being judgy and self-righteous, but this lottery process is intended to keep folks like me living in this city. If I don't get a place in the lottery soon, I don't know how much longer I'll last in NY!

Ok, so I was totally unaware what you wrote. So this isn't a long-term, sustainable option for people looking to start and sustain families in NY. That's disappointing. All the more reason to not be too disappointed if I don't get the place. Maybe I should hold out for an apartment for purchase!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 PM

I honestly think the representative provided me incorrect information. Because it's about long term middle income affordability, so i can't see them asking anyone to leave.

During the open house, the rep that explained everything to me was very senior and seemed like she had been in the NYC housing business for a very long time.

You seriously wouldn't settle for any of the remaining 2 bedrooms?

We're the apartments dusty when you saw them? All i saw were in dire need of maid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery