U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:20 PM

20,821 posts, read 13,813,460 times

Advertisements

Ok, enough with persons talking smack about our house, anyone remember the good days on the Island?

Back when there were buses like the S107, S110, and the S4.

Richmond Avenue was a main shopping strip (Lobels, Oven Bake, Gabby's DJ's,)

Ice cream cakes for your birthday party came from Sedutto's on Richmond Terrace.

Victory Lanes Bowling Alley.

Willowbrook was a place your parents threatened to send you if you didn't behave.

Mount Loretto (ditto)

Being able to play in the street for hours and rarely bothered by cars.

E.J. Korvette's and the air field near it.

Demian's Brewery

S.I. Eateries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM

15,609 posts, read 25,051,280 times
How about the R103 along Hylan Blvd, the R7 at Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd that went to Brooklyn.

I remember "Korvettes", how about "Grants" on Hylan Blvd where K-mart is now.
Robert Hall on Hylan Blvd. What about "Masters" Dept Stores where Home Depot is.

Pergaments

We played stick ball in the street, hardly any cars, always parking spaces.
Carvel on Hylan you could have a birthday wish to someone in lights on the sign.

Ciro's Italian Restaurant

Willowbrook, I'm dying................love it!!!!!

Give me time, I will think of more.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

8,759 posts, read 7,126,263 times
Well I definitely don't have the memories you guys have, but I can say that my grandfather's family was on SI in 1903 and has been ever since. No Brooklyn in our blood.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM

461 posts, read 514,761 times
Major's Dept. Store.
Jerry Lewis Theater.
and not to echo, but EJ Korvettes, because of their LP dept ($3.99!)

and...anyone remember the catacomb in the center of the SI Mall, down the stairs? I forget what it was called, but it was like a flea market with a handful of small shops.

and the flea market in the former White Dental Factory down on the far South Shore? What a weird place.

A&W drive-in on Hylan with bellhops -- is that still there?

a special nod to Pickles Bar on Main St in tottenville.

the place on corner of New Dorp and Hylan that had 50 cent pizza slices.

Ralph's Ices in P.R. -- that still there?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Major's Dept. Store.
Jerry Lewis Theater.
and not to echo, but EJ Korvettes, because of their LP dept ($3.99!)

and...anyone remember the catacomb in the center of the SI Mall, down the stairs? I forget what it was called, but it was like a flea market with a handful of small shops.

and the flea market in the former White Dental Factory down on the far South Shore? What a weird place.

A&W drive-in on Hylan with bellhops -- is that still there?

a special nod to Pickles Bar on Main St in tottenville.

the place on corner of New Dorp and Hylan that had 50 cent pizza slices.

Ralph's Ices in P.R. -- that still there?
Yes, Ralphs is still going strong! Ralph's Famous Italian Ices & Ice Cream | New York | New Jersey

A&W IIRC is long gone.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
How about the R103 along Hylan Blvd, the R7 at Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd that went to Brooklyn.

I remember "Korvettes", how about "Grants" on Hylan Blvd where K-mart is now.
Robert Hall on Hylan Blvd. What about "Masters" Dept Stores where Home Depot is.

Pergaments

We played stick ball in the street, hardly any cars, always parking spaces.
Carvel on Hylan you could have a birthday wish to someone in lights on the sign.

Ciro's Italian Restaurant

Willowbrook, I'm dying................love it!!!!!

Give me time, I will think of more.
Remember when Forest Avenue west of the expressway was mostly woods and fields? That is until you reached the shopping centers where Major's and other stores are. Oh and there was Weissglass Dairy out there as well. We had a square gray box on our front porch for "the milkman" who delivered Weissglass dairy products.

Weissglass Dairy ephemera | Secret Staten Island

Willowbrook had a picnic/BBQ area with ponds (with ducks) where you could go for family outings. That area was also mostly woods especially across Victory Blvd where the expressway service road is now.

Streets were largely two way then, so you had to look *both* ways when crossing and playing. We played baseball, stickball, Coco-Ringo-Lario and other games in the streets sometimes way after it got dark. That is until our moms started calling kids inside for baths and beds.

It was such a great time to be a kid on SI because you could ride your bike almost everywhere. Indeed during the summer months my mom like many others after breakfast would say "good-bye" ordering us outside and not to come back until lunch or she called for us. Often we got some pocket money to get snacks or lunch from a local deli.

There was a big drive in movie out where the mall is now. There were drive in everything back then. My parents used a bank on Richmond Terrance in Port Richmond that had drive through tellers. It was next to the lumber yard (Farrell?) and not far from the infamous "dirty" movie place. I of course never went but you saw it going driving past.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 11-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: content added

Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 AM

21,508 posts, read 28,418,967 times
Nothing like a stroll through the woods:

Our old house in St. George:

And of course, DADDY:

Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 PM

OMG Majors, yes that was like driving to the far east, as we live in Bay Terrace...

How about "Wetsons", on Hylan Blvd, I think it was a drive in, if my memory serves me right.

Who mentioned catacombs, LOL, it was called "The Honeycomb", a maze of little stores in the bottom of the SI Mall...I remember the blown glass shop, we bought my Mom a piece every holiday, she still has them.....

"Pizza Town", that was the pizza place on New Dorp Lane and Hylan. It was a round structure and had red and white stripes with a clown on top or something to that effect.

There was a flea market on Forest Ave.

coco-lario 123 123 - def remember that....................

Farrell Lumber wasn't that on Amboy neat Armstrong?

yes, we rode our bikes till the cows came home, walked to the point at Great Kills Harbor, even alone....no one bothered you, and Mom didnt have to worry about us being kidnapped..

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-18-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM

Only know the Weston's on Forest Avenue off Broadway. It was in the middle of the block across from the Firestone tire/auto shop and a park. IIRC the color scheme was a orange color and white. I.S. 27 (Prall) is down the street.

Forest Avenue was one of the major shopping strips from Jewett going down to Mariner's Harbor. Cannot believe how much it has changed. Hit Real Madrid now and then and cannot get over where all the fields used to be are now built up.

There was a J.C. Penny's, Pathmark (one of the first supermarkets to be open 24/7). My mother would go late at night leaving us kids home with Dad.

Only "honeycombs" or caves one remembers where those supposedly behind/under Demian's but never found them. Cannot believe that property has been filled with townhouses as well. Is nothing sacred on SI?

Remember the old SI hospital when that part of New Brighton wasn't a hell hole. So sad they let that area go down hill. Once HIP and SI hospital moved guess that was that.

There was an amusement part out on South Beach, cannot remember when it closed. Richmond Town was for school trips (ok the first time, but after that it got old).

I vaguely remember when the other side of Westwood Avenue across from Todt Hill Houses was open fields with clothes lines. The housewives from the "projects" could to there to hang out their washing.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Demians, OMG !!
The amusement park was I believe on Sand lane South Beach.

There really were caves, it was a club, I remember the water leaking through the rocks, not a good sign.

JC Penneys, yup, remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or