Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 06:30 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
The average asking price for a 2 family home in CH has jumped significantly in the last year and a half.
You can say this about all of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
Median income in East New York is $32,942 this is absolutely out of reach for current residents.
I would imagine the target demographic are the upper middle class who last opportunity to buy affordable housing in Brooklyn is only available in ENY. Some people truly worship Brooklyn address and lifestyle. Very easy to sell them on the dream that all of Brooklyn will eventually turn into a affluent community. They are the type of people who turn up their nose at the thought of living in Queens, Staten Island, and Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 AM

80 posts, read 140,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You can say this about all of NYC.

I would imagine the target demographic are the upper middle class who last opportunity to buy affordable housing in Brooklyn is only available in ENY. Some people truly worship Brooklyn address and lifestyle. Very easy to sell them on the dream that all of Brooklyn will eventually turn into a affluent community. They are the type of people who turn up their nose at the thought of living in Queens, Staten Island, and Bronx.
It's also one of the only areas left in brooklyn or queens with a decent commute that is financially accessible (although less and less as time goes by). People always bring up this deluded love affair with Brooklyn but it also has a lot to do with what's practical. Sure you could go out to Woodhaven, Jamaica, or Ozone Park but that's quite a few more train stops. Being just a couple stops from Broadway Junction makes a huge impact on your day to day when you rely on the MTA.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,872 times
Quote:
It's also one of the only areas left in brooklyn or queens with a decent commute that is financially accessible (although less and less as time goes by). People always bring up this deluded love affair with Brooklyn but it also has a lot to do with what's practical. Sure you could go out to Woodhaven, Jamaica, or Ozone Park but that's quite a few more train stops. Being just a couple stops from Broadway Junction makes a huge impact on your day to day when you rely on the MTA.

agreed 1,000% -- we tried to consider queens but when you work in lower manhattan, the only part of queens that was in reasonable commuting distance (around 45 min door to door in my mind) was ridgewood.

and though it was affordable for us a year or two ago, by the time we could buy at the end of last year, it was BANANAS there with all the press it got. two fams that we just missed out on for 550k by forest ave a year ago are now up for sale for 990k. no joke -- same house. and we saw that repeatedly.

so on to cypress hills it was and we are glad we did. and woodhaven put us over our self-imposed commuting limit.

i'm tired of people harping on the "brooklyn mystique" when sometimes it's just a matter of pragmatism.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booisgolden View Post
agreed 1,000% -- we tried to consider queens but when you work in lower manhattan, the only part of queens that was in reasonable commuting distance (around 45 min door to door in my mind) was ridgewood.

and though it was affordable for us a year or two ago, by the time we could buy at the end of last year, it was BANANAS there with all the press it got. two fams that we just missed out on for 550k by forest ave a year ago are now up for sale for 990k. no joke -- same house. and we saw that repeatedly.

so on to cypress hills it was and we are glad we did. and woodhaven put us over our self-imposed commuting limit.

i'm tired of people harping on the "brooklyn mystique" when sometimes it's just a matter of pragmatism.
Guess how much that same house in Ridgewood would list for in the non-trendy part of Bushwick that isn't any closer to Manhattan? Probably like $1.2m, no joke.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 11,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Guess how much that same house in Ridgewood would list for in the non-trendy part of Bushwick that isn't any closer to Manhattan? Probably like $1.2m, no joke.

Yeah, we saw the listings on streets like Moffat and Cooper go from 500k to that 1.2 you're talking about in like 6 months!

Watching the prices in Bushwick and Ridgewood was like watching the odometer on a car rise wildly -- from around 2012-mid 2014 it was silly, then someone hit the "Extra-silly" button and they went into the stratosphere. simply unbelievable.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booisgolden View Post

Agreed. Would have loved to stay in Ridgewood, my family is from there so it has emotional ties for me. We liked the neighborhood and commute but in a matter of 6 months the prices sky rocketed. It was heartbreaking actually. I am not concerned with brooklyn mystique, in fact being from there I prefer queens! It was really about what price range we could grasp at, and for us even CH was tough. We could not afford CH now with how much it's gone up. Being a NYer moving here was a last attempt to be able to afford my own city, pretty sad because most can't at all anymore.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Would have loved to stay in Ridgewood, my family is from there so it has emotional ties for me. We liked the neighborhood and commute but in a matter of 6 months the prices sky rocketed. It was heartbreaking actually. I am not concerned with brooklyn mystique, in fact being from there I prefer queens! It was really about what price range we could grasp at, and for us even CH was tough. We could not afford CH now with how much it's gone up. Being a NYer moving here was a last attempt to be able to afford my own city, pretty sad because most can't at all anymore.
I bought in Ridgewood before all the craziness started. If it was today I wouldn't have. Just too big of a mortgage. Plus its so crazy that I don't even think there is anything on the market. No supply whatsoever.

If it was today I'd probably search in either Glendale, Cypress Hills or Woodhaven.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I bought in Ridgewood before all the craziness started. If it was today I wouldn't have. Just too big of a mortgage. Plus its so crazy that I don't even think there is anything on the market. No supply whatsoever.

If it was today I'd probably search in either Glendale, Cypress Hills or Woodhaven.
Right, so for me it was simple why CH made sense, shorter commute then Woodhaven, and cheaper then Glendale. Also waiting for the bus day in and out in Glendale is one of my least favorite things in the world.

And CH can be a little rough around the edges but not as much as East NY. But overall CH is still an underserved community. Where there should be a chance for investment in small business and community dictated revitalization it is being threatened by speculative predatory forces that can easily run over a neighborhood like CH. DiBlasio being a more conscientious then Bloomberg, I think there is a chance here to shape the neighborhoods future with strong community organizing and involvement in the rezoning efforts, and resistance to the commodification of our resources, mainly housing.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Right, so for me it was simple why CH made sense, shorter commute then Woodhaven, and cheaper then Glendale. Also waiting for the bus day in and out in Glendale is one of my least favorite things in the world.

And CH can be a little rough around the edges but not as much as East NY. But overall CH is still an underserved community. Where there should be a chance for investment in small business and community dictated revitalization it is being threatened by speculative predatory forces that can easily run over a neighborhood like CH. DiBlasio being a more conscientious then Bloomberg, I think there is a chance here to shape the neighborhoods future with strong community organizing and involvement in the rezoning efforts, and resistance to the commodification of our resources, mainly housing.
I'd be very careful with deBlasio's plan. It doesn't sound very organic. Today Cypress Hills is very different than ENY. You guys have different main streets, different parks, different culture, etc... I think it is in Cypress Hills best interest to continue to disassociate with ENY and push their own identity. Cypress Hills should push for their own zip code the way Ridgewood/Glendale did from Bushwick back in the day. deBlasio's plan will bridge the two nabes together, potentially helping ENY at the expense of Cypress Hills. Be careful of his agenda.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I'd be very careful with deBlasio's plan. It doesn't sound very organic. Today Cypress Hills is very different than ENY. You guys have different main streets, different parks, different culture, etc... I think it is in Cypress Hills best interest to continue to disassociate with ENY and push their own identity. Cypress Hills should push for their own zip code the way Ridgewood/Glendale did from Bushwick back in the day. deBlasio's plan will bridge the two nabes together, potentially helping ENY at the expense of Cypress Hills. Be careful of his agenda.
For sure. His "afforable" housing plan isn't affordable at all for residents of bushwich, ch,or east ny. They are very similar to Bloomberg standards and do not reflect the local area medium income at all..of course they favor developers.
New Infill Homeownership Opportunities Program (NIHOP) and Neighborhood Construction Program (NCP):

I am very skeptical of DiBlasio but he is not Bloomburg at the very least, there is a tiny bit more room for in roads. I think the only chance any of these neighborhoods have left is strong community resistance. All of East NY has one community board, that's an outlet.. As well as community organizing and gaining support of council members. I would like to see the whole neighborhood demand input together, and have the standards for affordable housing truly respond to the community. There are people mobilizing around this cause for all of East NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City