U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 PM

80 posts, read 115,950 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the links!
We will be moving to cypress hills in the spring, really looking forward to walking around highland park when the weather is warm. Btw highland looks beautiful covered in snow right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM

19,562 posts, read 34,662,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
We will be moving to cypress hills in the spring, really looking forward to walking around highland park when the weather is warm. Btw highland looks beautiful covered in snow right now!
Please update us on your situation.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 AM

10,630 posts, read 8,519,079 times
Quote:
Congrats. The houses in cypress hills are very nice. Good to know someone that will upkeep them to their full potential will be moving into to one of them.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,977,376 times
Quote:
Hi, since you are from Glendale and Ridgewood I am a little surprised you don't know more about the area since those are the towns surrounding Cypress Hills. I grew up in another surrounding town, Woodhaven, and knew quite a bit about the area. It's almost (maybe not quite) close enough to take a walk and look around, or take a short drive down Cypress Hills Street or Cyprus Avenue and walk the area at different times of the day and evening/night to see how comfortable you feel there.

Highland Boulevard has some really nice houses, but IMHO that's the only really desirable part of Cypress Hills.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM

10,630 posts, read 8,519,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Hi, since you are from Glendale and Ridgewood I am a little surprised you don't know more about the area since those are the towns surrounding Cypress Hills. I grew up in another surrounding town, Woodhaven, and knew quite a bit about the area. It's almost (maybe not quite) close enough to take a walk and look around, or take a short drive down Cypress Hills Street or Cyprus Avenue and walk the area at different times of the day and evening/night to see how comfortable you feel there.

Highland Boulevard has some really nice houses, but IMHO that's the only really desirable part of Cypress Hills.
Although neighboring and close by, Ridgewood and Glendale are separated from Cypress Hills by the Cemetery Belt. It is very large physical border, and frankly, there was never all that much reason for someone from Ridgewood or Glendale to cross into Cypress Hills. Woodhaven didn't have such a border, all you had to do was cross the street, similar as someone going from Ridgewood to Bushwick. And althought we were both zoned for Franklin K Lane, it was rare for someone from Glendale to attend that school.

Up and down Ridgewood Ave and Etna St, you'll find some nice rundown rowhouses with under the right ownership can be made very nice.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 12-19-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 AM

80 posts, read 115,950 times
martinjsxx, g-dale is totally right.

Cypress Hills was completely off my map because if I went to neighboring towns I went to Maspeth, Middle Village, Forest Hills, or Kew Gardens.

Yes Highland Blvd is very nice but I think the northern blocks near the park have a lot of beautiful buildings, even if they are a little rough around the edges. CH definitely needs some revitalization, many houses need to be restored. I do think there are a lot of factors that give it character.

I will definitely keep you updated on how our situation goes. I am not going to lie, I am weary of walking home from the J later at night by myself. I feel like I will have to be cautious, as we should anywhere...but there is definitely a harsher vibe then Ridgewood.

But we want to buy a home and the neighborhood is in our budget. Honestly we couldn't afford most areas of Queens which is where we wanted to be, but CH is close to neighborhoods where I spend a lot of time and offers a lot of green space to keep me sane. It is a little out of my comfort zone but I guess we are taking a leap of faith. Only time will tell how we will really feel.

Last edited by Marka; 10-07-2015 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,631,859 times
Congratulations!

Like Glendale said, what separates Cypress Hills from interconnecting with Ridgewood or Glendale is the cemetery belt and the expressway. A bus ride going northbound on Cypress Hills St will take you back into Glendale-Ridgewood, if you want some neighborhood specialties. If you have a car, even better and quicker.

The face of Cypress Hills - City Line are changing. Immigrant Dominicans, Mexicans, Bengalis, Indians, Chinese, Arabs are all making their way and are more notable today than 5-10 years ago. Don't be surprise if you happen to see the 'new comers' making their way eastward from hot-spot neighborhoods and taking residents sometime in the near future around your new home, 3-6 years tops for early waves.

What's unique about Cypress Hills is the mixture of residential structures. ColombianBeef showed wooden old farm houses of NYC's past. There are a few like that one in CH.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,631,859 times
Video is about 8 months old now. YouTuber Bobby Flash tours Cypress Hills -

The rundown corner house at 1:10 was the one I mentioned early. It had been renovated and enlarged, it has yellow vinyl sides now. Some people don't like that others don't care.

Last edited by ShadowMassa; 12-20-2013 at 09:43 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 PM

19,562 posts, read 34,662,046 times
Good job on promoting your hood. Really interested in its future and I will be keeping watch. It's exciting to see your neighborhood change. I have 2 Thai restaurants around my way now, 1 within walking distance.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 AM

132 posts, read 301,670 times
well i'll be moving from east williamsburg to cypress hills (norwood stop on the J train), north of atlantic ave. On the bright side, i will be seeing less hipsters now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City