Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 09:24 PM

286 posts, read 352,476 times

Advertisements

"· The biggest price increases were in Brooklyn: They've gone up a whopping 320 percent in East New York,"

See Where NYC Home Prices Have Risen the Most Since 2004 - Cool Map Thing - Curbed NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
"· The biggest price increases were in Brooklyn: They've gone up a whopping 320 percent in East New York,"

See Where NYC Home Prices Have Risen the Most Since 2004 - Cool Map Thing - Curbed NY
The other numbers are more telling. Back in 2004, NOBODY wanted to move to East NY. Nobody. The houses were probably in the 100-200K range so a 320% increase while notable, isn't surprising given the Brooklyn hype storm that's backing it with you being one of it's biggest cheerleaders. The area is still a craphole and anyone who decides to move there is taking a serious risk at losing money... The way things go now, as soon as you hear of a neighborhood in the times, developers foam at the mouth for property and the homeowners jack up the prices accordingly... But if you're paying 1 million to live in East NY now, do you really think given how the neighborhood currently is that you'll see a significant return on profit 5-10 years down the line?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-075pct.pdf
Overall crime is down but through September 20th - there's been 15 homicides, 56 shootings and 72 victims of gunfire... I think it's leading all precincts in overall homicide this year... Somehow I don't see too many people spending $2 Million to live by Norwood or Alabama... But continue with the hype train, there's enough suckers buying the false hype...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The other numbers are more telling. Back in 2004, NOBODY wanted to move to East NY. Nobody. The houses were probably in the 100-200K range so a 320% increase while notable, isn't surprising given the Brooklyn hype storm that's backing it with you being one of it's biggest cheerleaders. The area is still a craphole and anyone who decides to move there is taking a serious risk at losing money... The way things go now, as soon as you hear of a neighborhood in the times, developers foam at the mouth for property and the homeowners jack up the prices accordingly... But if you're paying 1 million to live in East NY now, do you really think given how the neighborhood currently is that you'll see a significant return on profit 5-10 years down the line?

Overall crime is down but through September 20th - there's been 15 homicides, 56 shootings and 72 victims of gunfire... I think it's leading all precincts in overall homicide this year... Somehow I don't see too many people spending $2 Million to live by Norwood or Alabama... But continue with the hype train, there's enough suckers buying the false hype...
Not to mention that there's a lot of parts of ENY where you have to take a bus to the train....those areas I don't think will be as appealing.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 AM

80 posts, read 139,860 times
Quote:

It's a huge neighborhood, some areas are more desirable than others concerning access to green space and public transportation. But calling it a craphole isn't fair. People have homes, families, and community there. It's where they spend their lives. Of course there are bad things about the area but these is also good. Writing it off as a craphole is seriously disrespectful.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM

And no one is paying a million dollars to live in East NY right now.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:43 AM

993 posts, read 1,380,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
ENY will probably slowly become like west Brooklyn. More and more gentrified. It's bound to happen at some point.

I'm still in awe how much Brooklyn has changed out of all the boroughs. It used to have a totally different reputation back in the day then it has now.
My big brother drove a cab in NYC throughout the late 1970's. Two years ago, he became terminally ill and I was scraping to find some good news to share with him by phone.

"Good news, I'm moving to Brooklyn." He said, "That used to be bad news." We both LOL'ed.

Now, while Weeksville/Crown Heights has its serious issues, I'm always reading about ENY. I think if things ease and improve east of here, it'll have a small splashback effect IF there are some new jobs in ENY.

Subways connect the neighborhoods. I'd like my one property to be in the middle of a viable corridor of work between ENY and downtown Brooklyn job hub. There are people with skills in these neighborhoods who are underemployed or commute to Manhattan to work, when they'd be glad to work closer to home. But, due to poverty, there's gang crime and single shootings at night to be addressed first before all those NYTimes real estate articles come true. Central Bklyn's good old residential architecture and transportation lines can't do it all, even though those are good points.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-30-2015 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
My big brother drove a cab in NYC throughout the late 1970's. Two years ago, he became terminally ill and I was scraping to find some good news to share with him by phone.

"Good news, I'm moving to Brooklyn." He said, "That used to be bad news." We both LOL'ed.

Now, while Weeksville/Crown Heights has its serious issues, I'm always reading about ENY. I think if things ease and improve east of here, it'll have a small splashback effect IF there are some new jobs in ENY. Subways connect the neighborhoods. Yes, I'm hoping to become the bedroom community for ENY, or at least in the middle of a viable corridor between ENY and downtown Brooklyn job hub. But there's gang crime and single shootings at night to be addressed first before all those NYTimes articles come true. The architecture and transportation lines can't do it all, although those are pretty good.
I think even that is putting it mildly. The 77th Precinct has been arguably top 2 in terms of BK precincts along with the 73rd in Brownsville. Getting back to ENY, the issue with East NY is the housing. All those areas that were former high crime areas (most of them still are just not at the level they previously were) is the 2-3 family homes in areas like Bed-stuy, Crown Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill were all great investments... they simply fell into disrepair. East NY is more along the lines of a much further away Bushwick.

I continue to say this, Bushwick for all the hype it received still hasn't gentrified nearly as much as Bed-stuy has outside of the Jefferson area (if you can even call what happened to Jefferson gentrification). The neighborhood was aesthetically very ugly and rundown which is why it took so much longer to gentrify/revitalize than parts of Bed-stuy did (understandably both are still in the early process).

That's why unless they completely change the area and build decent looking apartment buildings/affordable housing as opposed to the 2-3-family low income housing buildings which have been built across all the former empty lots, I don't see the appeal given how far it is from the areas of interest.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
It's a huge neighborhood, some areas are more desirable than others concerning access to green space and public transportation. But calling it a craphole isn't fair. People have homes, families, and community there. It's where they spend their lives. Of course there are bad things about the area but these is also good. Writing it off as a craphole is seriously disrespectful.
I was born there and lived there for a good chunk of my youth before moving out in my teens. I still have family that live there and I visit there often. Do you even know where East NY is running your mouth the way you do. It's hilarious to me how so many times on city-data the ones who defend an area so vigorously have never even stepped foot in said area and have no actual idea of what they're talking about. Let the grown folk have their conversation and please step aside if you have nothing of substance to contribute...

Trust me, even the area that is being hyped heavily which is the Cypress Hills area is still run-down with an elevated crime rate just not at the level of the other sections of ENY. This is nothing more than manufactured hype. Will it work? Who knows. But the area was not seeing any sort of investment or interest until you began reading about it's "changes" in the papers.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:25 AM

993 posts, read 1,380,746 times
Quote:
That's why unless they completely change the area and build decent looking apartment buildings/affordable housing as opposed to the 2-3-family low income housing buildings which have been built across all the former empty lots, I don't see the appeal given how far it is from the areas of interest.
If you have the moment to spare, could you or somebody please post an intersection as examples of both -- the decent looking affordable housing and the (worse looking) low income housing built across empty lots. I'll google the street views. I use C-D to learn about this city, and want to see the aesthetics through your more experienced eyes.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I was born there and lived there for a good chunk of my youth before moving out in my teens. I still have family that live there and I visit there often. Do you even know where East NY is running your mouth the way you do. It's hilarious to me how so many times on city-data the ones who defend an area so vigorously have never even stepped foot in said area and have no actual idea of what they're talking about. Let the grown folk have their conversation and please step aside if you have nothing of substance to contribute...

Trust me, even the area that is being hyped heavily which is the Cypress Hills area is still run-down with an elevated crime rate just not at the level of the other sections of ENY. This is nothing more than manufactured hype. Will it work? Who knows. But the area was not seeing any sort of investment or interest until you began reading about it's "changes" in the papers.
I live in cypress hills, grew up a mile away. Born and raised.

So quick to be insulting on anonymous social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City