Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 21,019 times

Advertisements

I have no income, have not been able to find a job, am only weeks away from getting social security and the inspectors have told me to move, I have nowhere to go, I have my best friend, my dog, and not really many things. I don't want to give up my dog, and that is my fear. I have application into housing. It seems no one will listen to me. What is going to happen to me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 AM

314 posts, read 546,885 times
We'll you can squat until the Marshall's come

Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri2013 View Post
I have no income, have not been able to find a job, am only weeks away from getting social security and the inspectors have told me to move, I have nowhere to go, I have my best friend, my dog, and not really many things. I don't want to give up my dog, and that is my fear. I have application into housing. It seems no one will listen to me. What is going to happen to me?
Why did the inspectors tell you to leave?

Are you in a home, illegal apartment, etc. ?

Do you have any family here who could watch your dog for you?

I feel bad for your situation. The LAST place I'd want to be collecting social security is NYC.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
Do not bring the dog to the city shelters unless the streets are the only other option.
And before that, post if you still do not have a solution and I can give you ideas.
For you - vastly more difficult. I knew someone else in your situation, and he was able to find a "rent a room" situation, you should look into that right away. Some will accept a pet. We helped with that but in the end he found his own solution.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 PM

The place I am is deemed unfit and unsafe, I have no one who can take my dog, unfortunately the only place for me will be the street if nothing else comes through. I haven't heard from the inspectors yet but it is only a matter of time.I have an application in with housing but I don't seem to be a priority. Giving my best friend to the pound is not an option.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM

I am scared because no one seems to pay any attention to w2hat I am saying.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
How were you bale to pay rent at the place they are kicking you out of? If you could pay something surely you can find a room to rent somewhere even if its not in the best place. It would be better than the streets.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,954 times
I am truly sorry to hear about your difficulty. Is there a reason you have no income eg anything preventing you from getting a job so that you can find a temporary place?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Have been looking for work, I had a small business but have not been able to run it for over a month, I am close to 62. When I went to public assistance they wouldn't help because I wasn't 3 months behind yet I had an online job but it ended a while back, Sot of at my wits end here. I had a sum of money that I used to rent this place and was secure for a few months, but my plans did not turn out as I had planned.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Quote:
The place I am is deemed unfit and unsafe, I have no one who can take my dog, unfortunately the only place for me will be the street if nothing else comes through. I haven't heard from the inspectors yet but it is only a matter of time.I have an application in with housing but I don't seem to be a priority. Giving my best friend to the pound is not an option.
Contact Empty Cages Collective for your dog if you are forced to go into a shelter - they might have suggestions.

You won't be a priority for housing unless you have dependent children.

You should contact Met Council on Housing and ask them, they may be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City