Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
but why is everyone in such a damn rush??
Because we are WALKING not DRIVING.

So to the DRIVERS, why the Hell are you in such a damn rush? Sell the car and WALK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Very good post! Tell me about it smh! the other day the light turned green, and then pedestrian decided to make a run for it smh! I almost hit him. Also on the other day I stopped abruptly on the stop. I looked right and then left and didn't see anyone coming. So I began to go forward. Then as I am going forward a person is crossing in front of me, in which I didn't see that person because there was like a blind spot towards my right. Then I stopped abruptly and then the person looked at me angry like if she wanted to punch me on my face. I'm like come on now, it is not my fault that she was on the phone texting while crossing. Pedestrians need to be careful too. They always act like they run the streets, and is an obligation to stop when they walk no matter the circumstances smh. I always get vexed. The police need to give them tickets too when they cross like that without looking or if the light is green for the cars. I do not know what is going through their minds when they cross like that.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Drove home up the Westside yesterday night and am convinced many persons walking no longer have the common sense God gave them and or have no regard for their personal safety when it comes to traffic.

Time and time again persons walked out into intersections or crossed streets without even looking to see if they had the light and or "both ways". This is when one had the light (going across W76th) and lights clearly indicated "Don't Walk".

People just walk out into the middle of the street and seem only to become aware of an approaching car or whatever if they glance your way (while they are already in the middle of the street), or you beep the horn.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
It's happening because of the type of people we have become. Manhattan is filled with spoiled brats who think nothing of other people. When you get these people crammed together in one city it becomes a zoo.

Add cell phones to the mix and you have a disaster.

I don't drive a car but I might as well since being a pedestrian is no easier than driving a car or bicycle in this city.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:15 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It's happening because of the type of people we have become. Manhattan is filled with spoiled brats who think nothing of other people. When you get these people crammed together in one city it becomes a zoo.

Add cell phones to the mix and you have a disaster.

I don't drive a car but I might as well since being a pedestrian is no easier than driving a car or bicycle in this city.
What really kills me is they expect you to stop in the middle of an intersection so they can continue across the street. I'm like WT???? Do you not understand the laws of physics? *LOL*

This particular group were not on cell phones (surprise, surprise), but just walking along leffing it up and simply walked into traffic without even looking to see if they had the light or if cars were coming towards them.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
It's not just pedestrians, it's driver too. Drivers are often very reckless and careless. AT least once a day but usually more, I stand at the cross walk waiting for the walk sign. As soon as I get it I start crossing when some idiot makes a "quick" right turn, uncaring it's my turn to cross and I have the right away and comes oh so close to almost hitting me with a huge car when I am just 1 small person. Really it's about people and their entitled attitudes. I'm gonna do what I want and I'm all about me. It's getting very tiring.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Well, I think pedestrians should be castigated when their obesity levels gets to one ton but yet they are still able to dash across intersections at 40 mph, posing a danger to all around them, while farting noxious gases as they dash.
<I hope I am not being too subtle, here.>

Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM

283 posts, read 434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
It's not just pedestrians, it's driver too. Drivers are often very reckless and careless. AT least once a day but usually more, I stand at the cross walk waiting for the walk sign. As soon as I get it I start crossing when some idiot makes a "quick" right turn, uncaring it's my turn to cross and I have the right away and comes oh so close to almost hitting me with a huge car when I am just 1 small person.
I've noticed this too. It's the way all the stupid lights are set up. Why the hell they give a green light to the driver granting the ability to turn while ALSO giving the walk signal for the pedestrians? No wonder pedestrians don't pay attention to the signs. I wouldn't if it would put me in harms way. And I don't strictly abide by them for this reason.

I've had the same pedestrian vs car arguement with my wife after I stopped her from getting hit by a car in Manhattan. I told her to 'watch where she is going'. Her response was, 'I have the right of way'. I replied with 'do you like your knees?'

Driving, walking, cycling, communting in a dense place like Manhattan requires some rules so everyone is safe. The problem is that when these rules get broken, it's someone's safety that ends up in the gutter.

I learned two things very quickly walking in Manhattan--don't go strictly by the pedestrian signals, and walk using the same rules if you were driving.

If the sign is saying walk, but you see a line of cabbies waiting to take a right turn through your crosswalk, let them go first. Better not to get hit or cause a gridlock situation where a car accident can happen. It takes them seconds to drive by you while it takes a pedestrian at least 10 seconds to walk across. A lot of time is wasted catering to pedestrians unneccessarily imo.

If the sign says don't walk, check the signals. Which lanes can go? Which can't? Use what you know about driving and pulling out into traffic. I've crossed many times when there wasn't a car coming for miles and a crowd of 60 people are waiting on the curb for a 'walk' signal. I'm sure when the signal says walk, the cabbies will need to turn too.

We all just need to be smarter and more aware of where other people need to go too. Communting is a social thing in places like NYC, and we can't depend on the traffic systems to nail the finer points in efficiency and safety.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM

290 posts, read 688,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Because we are WALKING not DRIVING.

So to the DRIVERS, why the Hell are you in such a damn rush? Sell the car and WALK.
I have no car & walk, but I'm not in a damn rush--I just give myself time. Except I guess now I will be though when it's below freezing. lol

Old 11-26-2013, 05:08 PM

283 posts, read 434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
I have no car & walk, but I'm not in a damn rush--I just give myself time. Except I guess now I will be though when it's below freezing. lol
I like the quicker pace. I've always been that way and it was nice to be among people that also 'hustled' when getting from point a to b.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City