Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is just me but have noticed lately at least in my building and from speaking with neighbors, and persons at work everyone seems to have a beef with this or that person or things going on in their building.

Older tenants complain the young ones make too much noise (loud parties, coming and an out at all hours, having *relations* that go on for hours), young tenants complain the older ones blast their televisions all day and much of the night, are nosey and think they run the place. No one seems to like smokers, or anyone that stands in front of their apartment window doing that or anything else that "bothers' them.

Maybe because I grew up in a large family. Or, perhaps from dorm life at college, but whatever the reason one has learned multi-person dwelling living requires a certain give and take. You don't want to hear someone having relations next door, get some ear plugs. People having a loud party next door? Get up, get dressed and see if you can swing an invite. *LOL*

I would never presume to tell someone what they cannot or can do in their own apartment. I mean if were illegal or causing a health or security concern that is one thing, otherwise why get all up into people's business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Wait until you get old youngin' and can't do all those things the neighbors are doing, you'll be complaining too.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Wait until you get old youngin' and can't do all those things the neighbors are doing, you'll be complaining too.
Not going to happen! *LOL*

Have been watching my novellas and taking down notes. Figure you can still get a young blood at even sixty if you play your cards right! *LOL*

Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Haven't noticed any real differences.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
How anyone can live in a chicken coop apartment house is beyond me. Work, save your money, and buy a single family house.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe it is just me but have noticed lately at least in my building and from speaking with neighbors, and persons at work everyone seems to have a beef with this or that person or things going on in their building.

Older tenants complain the young ones make too much noise (loud parties, coming and an out at all hours, having *relations* that go on for hours), young tenants complain the older ones blast their televisions all day and much of the night, are nosey and think they run the place. No one seems to like smokers, or anyone that stands in front of their apartment window doing that or anything else that "bothers' them.

Maybe because I grew up in a large family. Or, perhaps from dorm life at college, but whatever the reason one has learned multi-person dwelling living requires a certain give and take. You don't want to hear someone having relations next door, get some ear plugs. People having a loud party next door? Get up, get dressed and see if you can swing an invite. *LOL*

I would never presume to tell someone what they cannot or can do in their own apartment. I mean if were illegal or causing a health or security concern that is one thing, otherwise why get all up into people's business?
Of course, those people maybe having a party at 2am and you need to be at work at 8am.

Part of the problem is in some buildings were built cheaply with thin walls and floors. Unless you're in buildings with concrete floors, every step your neighbors make will be heard.

The second problem is, you just have too high a density. After awhile it will get to you. People need space at times.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

I don't think apartment dwellers are more crabby in general. This has been going on since apartment buildings have existed in the city.

I find that the more considerate you try to be of your neighbors--then the more leeway they will give you. If you avoid blasting your music at 2am on a weeknight then they might tolerate your late night party on a Friday or Saturday night--if you let them know beforehand and invite them. Nevertheless, there's always people who will be unreasonable no matter what you do--so there's that. Diplomacy is king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
How anyone can live in a chicken coop apartment house is beyond me. Work, save your money, and buy a single family house.
Where might I buy a detached, single family home in lower Manhattan?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 AM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I don't think apartment dwellers are more crabby in general. This has been going on since apartment buildings have existed in the city.

I find that the more considerate you try to be of your neighbors--then the more leeway they will give you.
If you desire freedom to do what you want, go live in a private house apartment.
IMO, apartment dwellers are probably getting more crabby since their lousy landlords aren't providing enough heat in apartment to allow them to sleep well at night.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
An alternative explanation is that apartment dwellers are getting more inconsiderate of their neighbors.

I think it's always been this way, though. I'm lucky I live in a very quiet building.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
I don't think they're getting more or less crabby per se. Apartment dwellers today are better off than 100 years ago, I'm sure there were a lot more crabby people in the Lower East Side tenements in 1913 than today.

It really depends on the building and area you live in. Cities don't have a monopoly on crabby people; they can live anywhere...even in the suburbs or rural areas (I've heard stories of suburban squabbles over property lines and sub divisions committees dictating what can and can't be hung on the front doors to preserve the "feel of the neighborhood", their neighbors dog barking in the backyard at night, etc...)

I'm lucky since I live in a quiet building, lots of older tenants so that could be one reason why it's so quiet. Don't hear TV's and radio's blasting though since the area is quiet also.

However in Inwood, I did notice other tenants almost never hold the front door open for me. This is mostly for security reasons since Inwood can be marginal but if you've seen me open the door with my keys multiple times why not be courteous and not slam the door tight behind you as I'm entering? I guess if you haven't been living in the building for 20 years you're automatically someone not to be trusted. Being afraid of your neighbors because they might rob you makes me a bit crabby.

Last edited by ehanson; 11-19-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City