Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well my statement was fairly obvious so I'll have to let you figure it out.

Hint: shootings are up and gun arrests are down since August. Coincidence?
Ah, OK. Your point only makes sense if you believe violent crime is up. This belief is false so your point came across as nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

235 posts, read 373,985 times
I know people hate Stop-and-Frisk, and yes they are targeting Black males. Usually the ones that are dressing like thugs (The baggy Hip Hop style) or like the colors of gang members for the most part. Black males are the ones committing most of the gun Violence in the city anyway. Yeah the innocent will get search, but if you think about it, in reality it helps to discourage the real bad ones from carrying a weapon in the first place if they know they will be S&F when they are out there wondering in the streets. So they are more likely to leave their weapons at home, and the chances of a gun assault or killing will go down. That is why crime is down these days. But now that the Police are been discourage to be able to do the search, then just wait and see the shootings and weapon assaults go up again.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Anyone who has read my past posts on this much talked about subject knows that I have been very consistent in my stance, whether they agree with me or not.

1. "Stop and Frisk" (this is a media manufactured term first of all) as conducted by the NYPD was not managed properly. I do not believe that it was being conducted unconstitutionally, but they were certainly stretching the legal boundaries as spelled out by Terry v. Ohio and Debour v. New York.

2. The sustained level of vitriolic backlash against the department, especially during the recent mayoral campaign, was only going to cause cops to back off, if not completely stop, proactive policing techniques which have reduced crime to levels those of us who grew up here never thought we'd see. When a judge, the city council, and everyone running for mayor tells you 24/7 that they're going to go after your job for doing the stuff you've been asked to do for nearly 20 years, unless you're an idiot, you're just going to stop doing anything that you think they may attack you for. IE, my comment that cops will be "driving around in their cars with smiles on their faces".

Too many have forgotten how the NYPD used to police. Most police departments in the country are reactive, not proactive. In a very large, very diverse city where residents are forced to be in close contact with each other on a regular basis, proactive policing is more conducive to low crime rates because police are able to stop crimes before they happen. There are whole libraries worth of books written on this subject if you don't believe me.

Policing is a business where it is very hard to prove that one of your workers isn't doing their job properly. As long as they respond to 911 calls when summoned, fill out the correct reports and file them at the end of their tour, it will be very hard to prove that a cop could have done more to stop any particular crime. Seriously think about this for a moment: unless a police car is caught on camera literally sitting across the street from a crime, how exactly are the upper brass going to prove that a particular car didn't unduly "take their time" while responding to an incident? How can it be proven that they intentionally took a wrong turn or saw something that after the fact, they're saying they didn't see?

If the city keeps proving itself to be anti-police, it's going to get exactly what it wants, a department that does nothing.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Ah, OK. Your point only makes sense if you believe violent crime is up. This belief is false so your point came across as nonsense.
lol, okay.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
I know people hate Stop-and-Frisk, and yes they are targeting Black males. Usually the ones that are dressing like thugs (The baggy Hip Hop style) or like the colors of gang members for the most part. Black males are the ones committing most of the gun Violence in the city anyway. Yeah the innocent will get search, but if you think about it, in reality it helps to discourage the real bad ones from carrying a weapon in the first place if they know they will be S&F when they are out there wondering in the streets. So they are more likely to leave their weapons at home, and the chances of a gun assault or killing will go down. That is why crime is down these days. But now that the Police are been discourage to be able to do the search, then just wait and see the shootings and weapon assaults go up again.
This isn't why crime is down. As I stated before, Stop and Frisk isn't what made the city go from over a thousand murders to lower than 400.

You people try to stress that it's important to NYC's war on crime, but it's not. NYC will do fine without it.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post

You people try to stress that it's important to NYC's war on crime, but it's not. NYC will do fine without it.
"You people" ? Which "people" ?

The body of people in favor of stop and frisk might be more slightly diverse than you assume.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
"You people" ? Which "people" ?

The body of people in favor of stop and frisk might be more slightly diverse than you assume.
What are you talking about? I'm referring to all of the people who are in defense of Stop and Frisk.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Too soon to tell if there will be a direct correlation between stops and crime. There is less stops but also less guns confiscated. Also history shows that crime usually goes down in the winter months compared to the warmer weather months. I guess come next November will be a good barometer. Regardless of the outcome the people of NYC have spoken in what kind of policing and Government they want.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Norwood boy....the people always speak on the side of constitutional policing and so should police..this should not even be a question....yet in NYC it is. If anyone believes every one of the millions of S&F has been under the reasonable suspicion/probably cause doctrines, then let's not bother having a conversation because you are from Mars.

Airborneguy.... the premise of your argument is false. The city does not continue to prove itself anti-police...it demands that police follow the law like everyone else, and that the police serve and protect the people within the confines of the law. If you believe that is 'anti-police" then you have a gross misunderstanding of that term. It's like your boss saying that you are not allowed to sexually harass females or steal from customers....and if your boss is preventing you from doing these illegal activities, that's your boss being "anti-employee". And if he continues to be anti-employee, he will have no employees and the business will go bankrupt! Quite a false argument that makes zero sense except to confuse people and deflect blame/fear monger so that people can continue performing illegal activities, whether it is the police or these employees.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Norwood boy....the people always speak on the side of constitutional policing and so should police..this should not even be a question....yet in NYC it is. If anyone believes every one of the millions of S&F has been under the reasonable suspicion/probably cause doctrines, then let's not bother having a conversation because you are from Mars.

Airborneguy.... the premise of your argument is false. The city does not continue to prove itself anti-police...it demands that police follow the law like everyone else, and that the police serve and protect the people within the confines of the law. If you believe that is 'anti-police" then you have a gross misunderstanding of that term. It's like your boss saying that you are not allowed to sexually harass females or steal from customers....and if your boss is preventing you from doing these illegal activities, that's your boss being "anti-employee". And if he continues to be anti-employee, he will have no employees and the business will go bankrupt! Quite a false argument that makes zero sense except to confuse people and deflect blame/fear monger so that people can continue performing illegal activities, whether it is the police or these employees.
What did I say wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City