Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times

Advertisements

NYC Graf Mecca 5 Pointz Is Covered In White Paint Okayplayer

NYC Loses Its Stripes: Graf Mecca 5 Pointz Is Covered In White Paint
5-pointz-nyc-white-paint-lead
Photo Credit Clay Austin

New York City graffiti mecca 5 Pointz faces certain death after receiving a coat of white paint. The Long Island City landmark has remained a point of contention between street artists and developers at odds over the fate of the hulking ode to hip-hop culture. The battle between owner/developers Jerry and David Wolkoff and the 5 Pointz community was prompted by the Wolkoff’s initial plans to demolish the site to clear space for luxury housing. Advocates for the living installation lost their battle to save the place late last night when the building’s owners gave it a fresh coat of white paint under the watchful eye of local police. The news – a decidedly huge blow to the thriving international street art community – comes just days after a rally to preserve the space considered sacred to so many writers and graf enthusiasts. Supporters reacted in a series of mournful Tweets that capture a range of emotion from the bittersweet to outright rage. It is clear that the move to mute 5 Pointz has incited anger and made waves around the world. Take a look at the tweets below to get a taste of the public outcry over the death of 5 Pointz. Take a look at the catalog of artwork from hundreds of artists prior to the recent destruction via 5ptz.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Tough..private property, not a museum for trash art

Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I wouldn't really call it trash art. It was pretty popular and attracted a lot of people and attention.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Such a narrow minded thing to say.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
some photos I took a few years back

Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Nothing's stopping the graffiti artists from finding a different building on which to put their art. No shortage of derelict warehouses in this city. I still haven't seen a decent explanation for why they needed *this* building in particular to continue to be the city's primary graffiti canvas. Graffiti by its nature is temporary, and 5Pointz would re-scrub the building periodically to allow for new art, so there was no permanence here, either.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Is this the same guy who did the "CON$ervative governMENt" sign that's located in Greenpoint?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Is this the same guy who did the "CON$ervative governMENt" sign that's located in Greenpoint?
They're not by one person. It was by a number of artists, and it got replaced every few months or so with new stuff.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Firstly it is privately owned property...so how is it that vandals, I mean "artists" have the audacity to graffitti, I mean paint, all over a building without the permission of the owner and then demand it stay forever? Huh? If it was so important to the "artists" they had 20 years to purchase the property OR purchase another property to exhibit their "art."

Attempting to control/confiscate privately owned property because you painted on it is just outrageous. I have been sitting on my neighbors stoops every day for 20 years, and now they are selling the building and knocking it down...I demand it not be sold because I have been sitting on these stoops for 20 years! My friends too! What an injustice and greedy owner...how dare they!

If the "art" is deserving of preservation, the artists can purchase the building, or the city can purchase the property at market value from the owner and maintain it in its current state. However, attempting to confiscate the property from the owner, and all the raucous around that, should really scare people...without property rights there is no civilization.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
...without property rights there is no civilization.
Something tells me that you'd be and have been the first to cheerlead the city using eminent domain to throw up shiny new developments. Just the impression I get from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: