Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
OK, but I thought your rent was like $900 a month for a 2 bedroom?

That kind of low rent isn't available to most people, for the most part.
But my sister found a 1 br in inwood for $900 no problem. People exaggerate here. Yeah if you try to move to soho 40 k won't cut it but look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But my sister found a 1 br in inwood for $900 no problem. People exaggerate here. Yeah if you try to move to soho 40 k won't cut it but look elsewhere.
Those neighborhoods are considered bad neighborhoods, and the schools there aren't considered good either.

If you wanted to have a lifestyle that would be considered middle class by most Americans, to do that you'd need to earn 200k to get buy (have a car, send your kids to good schools, not have your gets grow up with street trash, live in safe area with amenities, etc).

Also, if you make just 40k in NYC, you'll live in a neighborhood with a lot of section 8 people. Lots of noise, trash, loud music and weird hours, etc. Unfortunately the city dumps homeless and welfare clients in working class neighborhoods, making these neighborhoods unbearable for many people.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Any part of this 13% uptick contributed to the remnants of OWS? I noticed that not all of them went back to their small towns, many just dispersed outwards from Liberty Park.

I highly doubt it. I went to Occupy Wall Street, vast majority of the people are Transplants, the very people you like an embrass that you hope can make NYC great and better place over the ignorant, stuckupand uneducated masses of blacks, Hispanics and ethnic whites remnant. Vast majority of these folks who attened occupy wall street owned an iphone and drank starbucks, twitted comments via MacBook pro. Non of these folks knew anything about Glassteagle act, the effects of NAFTA, trickledown economics, gentrification, globalization, etc and et al. For some it was just one big party. NYC population needs to drop big time, having 8 million people is not sustainable in the long run. Just came back from New Orleans, Katrina did wonders for that city!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
I thought you said it was 800?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 AM

197 posts, read 636,284 times
There is something to respect about homeless people as opposed to your standard welfare bunnies popping out future criminals. Pride... You see White's very well represented in the homeless population

Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 AM

197 posts, read 636,284 times
You all really need a reality check with the numbers, Shows a lot of you are very privledged- 60 Grand for family of three is a bit of a struggle, but it can work. LOL @ threads like can police officers survive on salary in nyc, and the likes.... It must be welfare bunnies and rich folks on this forum with no in between.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
You all really need a reality check with the numbers, Shows a lot of you are very privledged- 60 Grand for family of three is a bit of a struggle, but it can work. LOL @ threads like can police officers survive on salary in nyc, and the likes.... It must be welfare bunnies and rich folks on this forum with no in between.
Not in NYC it can't work. In any nice area, the landlords want you to earn 40 times one months rent on an annual basis.

I agree if it was the control as a whole, 60k would work. But in NYC it won't work when dealing with market rate apartments.

The people I know who were police officers or city employees often bought houses in the outer boroughs and rented out space in them . Yes, that works. Many of them are married (two parents earning income) and/or living with family. Yes, that works.

But to get a place on your own with 60k in a nice area? Its just not enough money.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I highly doubt it. I went to Occupy Wall Street, vast majority of the people are Transplants, the very people you like an embrass that you hope can make NYC great and better place over the ignorant, stuckupand uneducated masses of blacks, Hispanics and ethnic whites remnant. Vast majority of these folks who attened occupy wall street owned an iphone and drank starbucks, twitted comments via MacBook pro. Non of these folks knew anything about Glassteagle act, the effects of NAFTA, trickledown economics, gentrification, globalization, etc and et al. For some it was just one big party. NYC population needs to drop big time, having 8 million people is not sustainable in the long run. Just came back from New Orleans, Katrina did wonders for that city!
Many of the original occupiers cannot even have been called transplants. They came to NYC because of occupy, and they left after it fell apart. You are right that they had iphones and went to Starbucks. They were wealthy people.

The original OWS (I was a regular there) was not about making NYC better. They really didn't care about NYC. It was about protesting corporate corruption, and it was used by the Democrats to bring out the vote (it occurred one year before the elections). It brought up themes like the 1%, increasing taxes on the wealthy (President Obama succeeded in doing that in exchange for 10% across the board budget cuts), the huge division between the wealthy and everyone else (incorporate into de Blasio's campaign). Basically, OWS was funded by the left wing of the Democratic party to bring attention to the issues they cared about ,and to be the answer to the tea party (which had reinvigorated Republican politics). Occupy Wall Street spread around the country, until the government decided to shut down the camps (which had become filthy and full of perverts, drugs, rapists,etc.). There was rape of both women and men (mainly when people got too drunk or high to fight).

Nobody in the actual OWS had any intention of educating down and out New Yorkers.

The rapes and crimes were committed by the homeless faction among occupiers. The homeless faction was pretty much people who were already homeless in NYC before OWS. The out of towners who came to NYC for OWS were mostly well to do (there were a few poor kids, not many).

But yeah, the crew had Iphones, Ipads, and a lot of tech gear and was well connected with lawyers, Democratic party officials, unions, etc. Many of these kids post occupy got good jobs. They used OWS to advance their careers.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Even less. Me and my gf make 40,000 and have a kid and we're fine. Oh and the reason we're not making bank is cause we haven't finished our majors yet
Just throwing out income does not cut to the nitty-gritty. In order to make a decision as to the livability in NYC on 40K/year each or a $80k combined household income we would need to know expenses including rent/housing and so forth.

After taxes 40K per year is down to at least the low 30's or even high 20's.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:56 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Vast majority of these folks who attened occupy wall street owned an iphone and drank starbucks, twitted comments via MacBook pro.
They must thank goodness for the corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City