Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times

Advertisements

OWS left some dirty ones behind that were not natives. I see them everyday and I hear their accents. They ain't from around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
OWS left some dirty ones behind that were not natives. I see them everyday and I hear their accents. They ain't from around here.
Those were crusties. Country gutter punks. They had little to do with OWS. They are drug addicts who more or less came to NYC to panhandle and who stay also because of the network of churches and soup kitchens. They hung around OWS because of the free food, yes. But OWS didn't bring them to NYC or leave them behind. They brought themselves here, and crusties move from place to place regularly as they panhandle enough money.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM

12,814 posts, read 18,642,076 times
How much income would a non-working, non-shopping (except for groceries for a bland diet and thrift stores for threads at bargain prices - in other words a person who on purpose does not participate in stimulating the economy - eccentric to the core) single person need to make it ok in say Queens in a decent apartment and neighborhood? There would be no work wardrobe needed, no wage tax, no daily commuting expense, no daily temptation to eat lunch out, and no FICA coming out of the income.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 PM

31,750 posts, read 26,706,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, I wasn't aware of this, but the Coalition for the Homeless said that Giuliani made it his administration's mission to get people out of the shelter system.

Bloomberg hates poor people, so of course, he's going to make sure their conditions are the most disgusting that is legally allowed.

Thanks for this info though.
One of the beefs some persons had with the J-51A tax program was that developers got property tax reductions for building luxury housing but the affordable component could be located elsewhere. That is you could build or renovate luxury housing in say The Village but put the affordable part in the Bronx or Queens.

Fast forward to the 2000's and the new byword is "inclusion" housing. So you get the 80/20 schemes but the affordable part must not only be within the same building complex but there must not be any difference between the affordable and luxury units. If the upscale units get Miele laundry appliances, so do the affordable apartments. The idea is for working persons and or the poor to be benefit from being included in "better areas" rather than segregated to others.

Of course this is much more than about just housing. Democrats, liberals and others have long argued that various services from education on down are better in higher income areas both for multi-family and private homes. Problem is because of the high cost you don't have mixing of income levels, inclusionary housing aims to correct this.

You see the same arguments being made by HUD in attempting to force places with high housing costs such as many Westchester areas which feed into better public schools and other services. In many such areas you find little to no apartments usually because they are forbidden by zoning restrictions.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I see them in Astoria a lot.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM

197 posts, read 635,309 times
600 dollars a week after taxes (600$ check) is sufficient enough to live decent in New York City for single person and live in decent neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
600 dollars a week after taxes (600$ check) is sufficient enough to live decent in New York City for single person and live in decent neighborhood.
Where?

That would mean finding an apartment or having housing costs <$1000 per month. Unless you luck into a really cheap RS apartment that the landlord has decided not to gut renovate to get the rent close to or near $2k per month it is going to be very difficult to find anything in decent areas for less than $1200 per month.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM

197 posts, read 635,309 times
You people must have some serious vices. If you cant live halfway decent on $600 a week after taxes. Either that or you came up upper middle class and never left to say the least.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM

33,878 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Where?

That would mean finding an apartment or having housing costs <$1000 per month. Unless you luck into a really cheap RS apartment that the landlord has decided not to gut renovate to get the rent close to or near $2k per month it is going to be very difficult to find anything in decent areas for less than $1200 per month.
Well I could move to Belleville, IL and buy a house right now cash for $30,000 but I won't do that either.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well I could move to Belleville, IL and buy a house right now cash for $30,000 but I won't do that either.

*LOL*

You're too through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City