Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times

Advertisements

If you're not staying overnight, parking won't be too bad:

NYC Parking Search Engine | Coupons & Discounts | BestParking.com

Some garages are under $20 if you leave at 3 PM. The traffic into the city won't be bad in the early morning. Out might be horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,209,092 times
What time does the concert end? I would assume before noon. Probably even by 10am. You could drive in without a problem if you are leaving at 1am. Just look up parking garages before hand so you know where to drive to. And leaving/driving back shouldn't be a huge issue as it's early in the day still. Don't jus give up the tickets and not go, you are so close to nyc and your daughter will never forgive you if its something she's been excited about.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 33,472 times
Well, if we drive we will likely leave at about midnight, arrive, find parking, get in line. Then leave immediately after the show (which is scheduled to end at 9am) and make a mad dash for the car and head home. If we take the train we will arrive the evening before- probably between 5 or 6 and spend the night (with arrangements I make beforehand). This would give us a few hours in the evening to explore a bit and have some dinner. Same thing- after the show head to the train station and start for home. I have kids conferences that afternoon that I am unable to reschedule at this late date.

The train sounds more logical- I mean why travel to NYC for the first time and not even get to have dinner?! But now it will be dependent on finding a hotel.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 AM

Oh yes if you have a budget for a hotel then by all means do that. Be aware though a hotel in midtown will run you about $300 a night, after all it is 2 days before Thanksgiving. Some may even be sold out.

PS the drive should only take you 2 hours, especially that time of night. There won't be any traffic.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,759,452 times
Take the train; like what everybody said.
I also want to add something. While it is your treat your daughter, this is also your "vacation" to enjoy (kinda).
You want to be as relaxed as you can.
You do not want to be stuck during rush hour in your car, cursing for how much money you have to spend for the parking and stressing where to find parking.
Train it is! And enjoy the train ride!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 AM

First off- thanks so much to everyone and their advice! I have arranged for us to leave the New Haven Station in mid afternoon on Monday. We will park our car there for a small fee and the train is relatively inexpensive. I have made hotel reservations at a seemingly nice hotel about 2 blocks from the train station in NYC and just 1.8 miles away from our Central Park location for just 100 dollars (+ taxes and such) for the night. I thought that was a pretty good deal and probably altogether with the train and hotel it is less that I would have spent on gas, tolls, and parking.

Now, does anyone have any recommendations on what we should do with our Monday evening? It is me (age 35) and my 12 year old daughter. I figure we will have about 4 hours or so and would like to do/see a couple of things that are right there close by. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks again

Old 11-23-2013, 09:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt35 View Post
First off- thanks so much to everyone and their advice! I have arranged for us to leave the New Haven Station in mid afternoon on Monday. We will park our car there for a small fee and the train is relatively inexpensive. I have made hotel reservations at a seemingly nice hotel about 2 blocks from the train station in NYC and just 1.8 miles away from our Central Park location for just 100 dollars (+ taxes and such) for the night. I thought that was a pretty good deal and probably altogether with the train and hotel it is less that I would have spent on gas, tolls, and parking.

Now, does anyone have any recommendations on what we should do with our Monday evening? It is me (age 35) and my 12 year old daughter. I figure we will have about 4 hours or so and would like to do/see a couple of things that are right there close by. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks again

What hotel did you get for $100 in that location?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM

The Westin New York Grand Central

Through Priceline Express Deals
There were multiple hotels in the whole area that were between 100 and 150
I have had excellent success using Priceline in the past especially on fairly short notice with just a single night stay.

Through pictures the hotel looks nice- even though we won't be spending a great deal of time there.

Still looking for activity and sight suggestions! Thanks

Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,073,752 times
Quote:

I have had excellent success using Priceline in the past especially on fairly short notice with just a single night stay.

Through pictures the hotel looks nice- even though we won't be spending a great deal of time there.

That sounds like a great place to stay. Congrats on arranging your trip - I think you'll have a great time. One thing you could put on your list is a trip to either the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center). If you go there, you could also go ice skating at the rink there.

If you are into holiday markets, here's a list NYC’s 5 Best Holiday Markets « CBS New York

Old 11-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

That's a great deal. I worked an event at that hotel before. It's more of a business hotel but a nice place. I would walk down to macy's on 34th street and see the holiday windows and the tree there. Bryant Park also has the holiday shops and the skating rink. And as much as I hate times square I would walk through it since you never been here before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City