Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol ok marilyn. Any living, breathing adult will tell you different though. It's even included in urban dictionary. Post #9 Urban Dictionary: brother

But you keep capitalizing random words and posting smirky faces (i.e. "doing you")
What do you have against smileys now? Jeez.

And I can't believe you're going to the "urban dictionary" to tell ME (a BLACK WOMAN) how brothas is spelled. Lol Okay. The urban dictionary is correct then. What do I know?

Maybe if FDNY would stop calling brothas off the old man...er, 1985 list, you'd probably have some around you that could have schooled you on the subject.

But I digress...

No need to respond. I won't be back in here.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What do you have against smileys now? Jeez.

And I can't believe you're going to the "urban dictionary" to tell ME (a BLACK WOMAN) how brothas is spelled. Lol Okay. The urban dictionary is correct then. What do I know?

Maybe if FDNY would stop calling brothas off the 1985 list, you'd probably have some around you that could have schooled you on the subject.

But I digress...

No need to respond. I won't be back in here.
Did I claim that the slang is not spelled "brothas" as well?

As someone else in another thread pointed out. You're a strange person...

Old 11-24-2013, 09:12 AM

197 posts, read 636,180 times
Brother= Hulk Hogan says
Brotha= What "Jive" Brotha's say

Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Knockout game/assault has been a recent problem all around the country, and all of its victims are not Jewish. Stop spreading lies and false rumors. Its criminal and wrong to assault someone, period.

But absolutely no proof this was an antisemitic crime. And more than a few victims of crime in Brooklyn were Black.

Your comments are racist and dismissive of the victims of crime in general, by claiming or implying all victims of assault in Brooklyn are Jewish. I've known many victims of crime of all races in Brooklyn. Brooklyn always had some pretty bad parts.
Oh please. I'm bias against people like you and it has nothing about you being black or gay or being an Ivy League genius. Show me proof of recent incidents where the victim of knockout in Brooklyn wasn't a Jew.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 AM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
Ya'll really argue about the dumbest ****.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Ya'll really argue about the dumbest ****.
Ya'll or Y'all?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Ya'll or Y'all?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Oh please. I'm bias against people like you and it has nothing about you being black or gay or being an Ivy League genius. Show me proof of recent incidents where the victim of knockout in Brooklyn wasn't a Jew.
Knockout occurs in many more places than Brooklyn. It isn't directed towards Jews. Its done by whoever is perceived to be vulnerable.

In order to stir up racial controversy, you conveniently ignore this is a national problem and you also ignore that there are plenty of victims of crime in Brooklyn of all races.

Since this is a criminal problem in a number of places, I have no idea what went on in the minds of the people who did knockouts to in NYC.

Truthfully, I don't care. The bottom line is this is criminal behavior which will be punished as the men have been arrested. Maybe increased police patrolling is needed. Maybe more citizens need fire arms to defend themselves.

But what I will not do is attempt to ascertain the thoughts of criminals. I'm not a psychic, as noted, and I'm also not a sociologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or social worker.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-25-2013 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You don't think that there could be a little bit of antisemitism going on in brooklyn?
I know that in central Harlem there is a woman everyone knows as the "Jew ranter." She stands on the corner and makes very loud speeches into her phone (!) about how "the Jew" sold her "people" into slavery and that all are mortal enemies of "black people." Obviously she understands the latter as a constant. I had not seen this before, so open. I have also met a few Jewish people who declined to buy here (not investment - for their own use, brownstones and so on) given anticipations of such.

I thought this was rather idiosyncratic until I encountered an entire group, all set up with tables and with a similar set of wisdoms, in Fordham Plaza. About a year ago. They appeared to be Nation of Islam folk but who knows.

I do think there is anti-semiticism, no idea how common but I doubt very much that it is limited to Brooklyn.

Ironically, organizations such as the Photo League, which included many (mostly, perhaps) Jewish people photographed in Harlem, had great respect for the culture. And of course, many Jewish people were involved in the Civil Rights Movement.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Ironically, organizations such as the Photo League, which included many (mostly, perhaps) Jewish people photographed in Harlem, had great respect for the culture. And of course, many Jewish people were involved in the Civil Rights Movement.
If you go to primary sources (ie, the people who were living in the South at the time of the civil rights movement) they certainly don't mention many Jews. People like Rosa Parks speak about how her father watched over their family with a shot gun at night, at the height of the Klu Klux Klan's power.

Of course, after Congress passed the bill, it was Lyndon Johnson, a Texan protestant, who signed the civil rights bill into law. As President, he was ultimately the white person who did the most for civil rights. He and knew full well the consequences. Johnson himself said we've delivered the South to the Republican party for a long time. Still, Johnson deserves the credit for that. The Democratic party's working class base in those days were Northern unions and Southern KKK Democrats like George Wallace. Those people are now tea party people.

The idea that a bunch of NYC liberals came to a bunch of marches in the South and somehow rescued the inhabitants is utterly ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City