Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:25 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You can afford Manhattan, but you should also look in the nicer neighborhoods of Brooklyn, such as Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill.
I seriously doubt that a person making 300-400K would ask such a question on City-data, because often, upper income people utilize relocation expert services, to help guide them with their move. This is especially true for international moves. Heck, I make a low six figure salary, yet I used a relocation service to help me find a nice neighborhood to reside in, when I relocated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:31 PM

86 posts, read 234,652 times
I'm from Australia, Sydney in fact. As a 24yr old do NOT live in the Burroughs, live in NYC - you make PLENTY of money to rent an awesome place. There are tons of other Aussies living in NYC and you'll do great and NYC is a great city.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I seriously doubt that a person making 300-400K would ask such a question on City-data, because often, upper income people utilize relocation expert services, to help guide them with their move. This is especially true for international moves. Heck, I make a low six figure salary, yet I used a relocation service to help me find a nice neighborhood to reside in, when I relocated.
Well, funnily enough, I've already done that. It's not prudent to rely solely on such services. They often have have incentives to NOT find you the best place, but rather, they place that will get THEM the largest cheque. For your information, people in upper income percentiles utilize (insofar as they can) all the info/data available to them.

I need to know (as far as possible) what local NYC people - who don't have any financial incentive or contract with me - think. Is that enough for you, CityGirl?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:38 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,865,719 times
Lmao at some of these responses. "Do not live in the boroughs, live in NYC". Maybe I should go ahead and ask someone, "Hey, what do you think about living in France vs. Europe?"

Also, anybody who thinks questions a 300-400k annual income as inadequate to survive in an area inhabited by 1,500,000+ people is an imbecile.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:41 PM

I apologize, the vulcan overlord, CincyExpert.

Survive has a different meaning to me. It doesn't relate to solely food, shelter, etc. I'm interested in saving and investing my money as well as managing risk.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM

257 posts, read 684,882 times
Did You get a work Visa? Before You do any apt hunting You should check with immigration. Unless You have $$$$ to invest and plan to employ US citizens its not easy for foreigners to just up and open business here in the US

Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM

Sasha, yes, that's all organized.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
But I still don't get why you want to buy a place as soon as you move over here. Financially it may make sense on some level, but if you're not familiar with the neighborhoods and such, that seems as if it would be very risky. After all, if you haven't been to NYC much you're taking the word of a relo expert and anonymous strangers on the Internet. That could end up bad.

If you have a chance to visit for a while -- and I know Australia isn't exactly around the corner -- you should spend some time looking at various neighborhoods yourself. The Upper East Side or the Financial District or Soho or Hell's Kitchen or any number of other neighborhoods in Manhattan or Brooklyn might be financially feasible. But each has a distincitve vibe and demographic. NYC very defintiely IS a city of neighborhoods. And even among the more expensive or trendy ones they can differ greatly. I'd hate to see you come to NYC, buy an apartment, and three months later realize you should have been living somewhere else. That would be a headache and a half, which is why I suggest renting first.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_O View Post
Well, funnily enough, I've already done that. It's not prudent to rely solely on such services. They often have have incentives to NOT find you the best place, but rather, they place that will get THEM the largest cheque. For your information, people in upper income percentiles utilize (insofar as they can) all the info/data available to them.

I need to know (as far as possible) what local NYC people - who don't have any financial incentive or contract with me - think. Is that enough for you, CityGirl?
If you want to rent a place to live in Manhatten and open/rent an office space in Manhatten, yes, that can be expensive depending on the obvious, which is location.

If your instructions to agents are to find you the "best" places to live & open an office space in Manhatten, they will show you places that get's them the biggest commissions because the "best" places will be more expensive. Agents will show you places in your requested price range with the amenities you request. Obviously, the more luxuries & amenities you request, the more you should expect to pay and the bigger commission the agent will get. Same applies if you are looking for office space in more affluent areas with people who have higher incomes.

I've known many people with incomes of $85,000 - $120,000 living in Manhatten and they did OK with that. They lived in small (but comfortable for them) studio and 1 bedroom apartments. Those who eventually moved to the other boroughs wanted more living space for the money (buying a house) and garage space for 1 or 2 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_O View Post
a) I plan to buy soon. I don't live a flash lifestyle and am interested in saving as much as I can.

c) I plan to rent an office in Manhattan.
Being a Manhattenite is kind of a lifestyle choice so you don't need to live there, you can save a lot more money living in other boroughs. You also don't need to rent an office in Manhatten unless you feel it can get you more business being there.

Since only about 2-3% ? of American HOUSEHOLDS (which can include 2 wage earners) make over $250,000 a year, asking whether you can survive on $300,000 a year will always elicit many

But congratulations on your success, the U.S. can certainly use your tax dollars.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM

81 posts, read 100,746 times
OP, what do you think about San Francisco? you seem don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City