Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM

245 posts, read 342,197 times

Advertisements

Looking for a extra part-time income on the side for the holidays. Anyone ever delivered for Daily News, NY Times, etc? I know it's a 3am-6am kind of job and I have no problem with that. Just would like a little insight on the job experience and the pay. I also have my own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Two weeks in high school for a friend who had to go to boy scout camp or something like that. Two weeks was MORE than enough for a lifetime...the hours sucked, the weather sucked.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
I did when much younger as well. It was my first job actually. The hours were super early and in the cold weather it was not fun, But other then that I enjoyed it. I delivered the News to homes very close to my own neighborhood. I found some of the customers to be really nice and one would offer crumb cake and coffee even and then there were about 3-4 weirdos that were interesting but were friendly as well. During the Spring and Summer it was nice seeing the sun coming up and the warm air. I would usually go to school afterward but sometimes grabbed a friend and went to chill and listen to music instead. Winters-That part was not fun though I must admit.

As an adult, It's more challenging though depending one ones other responsibility but for a part time thing a good choice I think for those who are used to being really early risers.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

245 posts, read 342,197 times
What is the pay like and does one company have a higher pay than the other?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Ahh, the state of the American economy today when an adult has to take a pt job which traditionally a teenager would do, in order to make a few extra bucks. I had a Daily News route back in the early 80s. The pay was good (all cash) and I got tipped really well around the holidays. I know that today most customers pre pay so there is little or no collecting on a weekly basis. My neighbor use to deliver the NY Times using his car. It's an early am gig and the Sunday papers still require the carrier to insert the sale circulars and extra sections which can be a pain. Also if you use your car I'm not certain if there is reimbursement for gas or mile usage. I'm guessing there probably isn't. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:51 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Well before the economy went sour the newspaper distributers were moving away from using young kids and teenagers to deliver their newspapers. Probably for a number of reasons. Teens and kids probably had higher turnover. Adults could deliver many more newspapers with their cars than kids on bikes. And the ever present threat of Mr. Pedophile scared off the companies from hiring kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City