Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I have some confusion about car registration in New York and New Jersey. I moved to NYC about a year and a half ago for graduate school and have been living in an apartment sublet with other young professionals.

I recently was offered a job with the City of New York that I will be starting shortly. The job has a residency requirement to live in NYC. Initially I thought, okay, no big deal, I've been living here for over a year and plan to continue to do so. I file my taxes here, can prove my address, etc.
However, the job wants me to have a New York City drivers license. The position itself do not require a drivers license, but apparently if you happen to have a drivers license they want you to switch it over to a New York State one. While I realize I should have done this awhile ago when I first moved to the city, I didn't always expect my stay to be permanent or resulting in a job offer, so it was the sort of thing I never got around to doing unless someone was going to force me.

However, I also happen to have a vehicle from my pre-NYC days, and I am financing the vehicle for about 8-10 more months. I barely drive the car since I live in NYC, and the car registered in New Jersey and it resides in New Jersey. It it kept at my parents home and I use it if I am ever back visiting for holidays/special occasions/the rare concert-realted roadtrip/etc.

If I need to change my license to a New York State license how does this effect my car registration? Am I still able to keep the car registered in New Jersey because that is where the car resides? I am concerned because as I flip through some of my new hire paper work I see information about having to declare my motor vehicles and register them in the state of New York - but again, who actually keeps a car in NYC? I certainly don't and am hoping that I would be able to keep it registered in NJ because that is where the car is kept.

Does anyone have more information about what the official laws are? Do you have to arbitrarily register your vehicle in a state that it is not driven in/does not reside in? Or can you keep the car registered where the car is kept?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM

386 posts, read 667,843 times
Get the NY license

Put the insurance in your parent's name. Hand the title to them and everything else associated with it. Just pay them in cash for the insurance. If you get pulled over with NJ plates and a NY license, it's ok since the car is technically your parent's.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Get the NY license

Put the insurance in your parent's name. Hand the title to them and everything else associated with it. Just pay them in cash for the insurance. If you get pulled over with NJ plates and a NY license, it's ok since the car is technically your parent's.
He can't sign the title over to his parents while it has a lien on it by the bank or finance company.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconfusion123 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I have some confusion about car registration in New York and New Jersey. I moved to NYC about a year and a half ago for graduate school and have been living in an apartment sublet with other young professionals.

I recently was offered a job with the City of New York that I will be starting shortly. The job has a residency requirement to live in NYC. Initially I thought, okay, no big deal, I've been living here for over a year and plan to continue to do so. I file my taxes here, can prove my address, etc.
However, the job wants me to have a New York City drivers license. The position itself do not require a drivers license, but apparently if you happen to have a drivers license they want you to switch it over to a New York State one. While I realize I should have done this awhile ago when I first moved to the city, I didn't always expect my stay to be permanent or resulting in a job offer, so it was the sort of thing I never got around to doing unless someone was going to force me.

However, I also happen to have a vehicle from my pre-NYC days, and I am financing the vehicle for about 8-10 more months. I barely drive the car since I live in NYC, and the car registered in New Jersey and it resides in New Jersey. It it kept at my parents home and I use it if I am ever back visiting for holidays/special occasions/the rare concert-realted roadtrip/etc.

If I need to change my license to a New York State license how does this effect my car registration? Am I still able to keep the car registered in New Jersey because that is where the car resides? I am concerned because as I flip through some of my new hire paper work I see information about having to declare my motor vehicles and register them in the state of New York - but again, who actually keeps a car in NYC? I certainly don't and am hoping that I would be able to keep it registered in NJ because that is where the car is kept.

Does anyone have more information about what the official laws are? Do you have to arbitrarily register your vehicle in a state that it is not driven in/does not reside in? Or can you keep the car registered where the car is kept?

Thanks!
You can't keep the car registered in NJ if it is a requirement of your NYC employment that you reside and register your vehicle in NYC.There is also such a thing as insurance fraud,which is what you are doing.
What's more important? The job or having your car registered in NJ ? If having the car registered in NJ is more important then don't take the job.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM

386 posts, read 667,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
He can't sign the title over to his parents while it has a lien on it by the bank or finance company.
Oh ok. Didn't know that. Thanks for correcting

Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Oh ok. Didn't know that. Thanks for correcting
He could sell the car to the parents as long as someone pays the bank off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City