Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laollis View Post
We just began escrow. Home is listed 1836 sqft, but, I did lots of searches and found assessors list and it says 1680 sqft. The Realty with the listing hasn't been very honest to us about other listings, so now I am thinking I should wait until we are in the house and hire a lawyer and sue them. What do you think?

For square footage there is ALWAYS a disclaimer on the floor plan saying something like: "Square footage is approximate." Or "Square footage may not accurately reflect the unit shown."

Always an escape clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,417 times
I just dealt with a realtor, Caroline Barrientos, who posted multiple listings for a unit that my husband and I viewed under the premise of the No Fee description she provided for it, only to find that she was falsifying this information and demanding a 15% broker's fee!

Trying to get the truth out there so people avoid dealing with crooked realtors.
https://nynomads.com/2017/12/searchi...dealing-devil/

Old 12-24-2017, 02:21 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
This happened to me in three places now. Our place in Las Vegas said it was 1200 sq ft online and had the measurements for the walls online. I bought my couches to fit the living space but they were longer than the walls said. Sure enough got out the tape measure and it was shorter than listed, but I already had the couches so I just dealt with the weird configurations.

Then at our new place in Portland it said it was 864 sq ft but I didn't account for how much space the stairs take up so the rooms are smaller than I'd figured. I'm used to a one story but this is cozy. It feels like a tiny house.

We rented a building for our workshop (more like hobbies and storage) about an hour north of here and they said it was 1000 sq ft. Once the old tenant was out we got in there and it's really about 1500 sq ft. So we got a bonus this time. Though we only need like 300-400 sq ft for what we're doing so we have this ridiculous amount of space until we can expand, gradually.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:31 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynomads View Post
I just dealt with a realtor, Caroline Barrientos, who posted multiple listings for a unit that my husband and I viewed under the premise of the No Fee description she provided for it, only to find that she was falsifying this information and demanding a 15% broker's fee!

Trying to get the truth out there so people avoid dealing with crooked realtors.
https://nynomads.com/2017/12/searchi...dealing-devil/
In the naked apt ad there was no mention of it being a no fee apt? What made you think that particular unit was no fee? When an apt is a no fee it would say so in the ad. If you ran a search of only no fees and this apt came up then the mistake was with the webmaster/website of naked apts and not that particular agent.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:02 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
This happened to me in three places now. Our place in Las Vegas said it was 1200 sq ft online and had the measurements for the walls online. I bought my couches to fit the living space but they were longer than the walls said. Sure enough got out the tape measure and it was shorter than listed, but I already had the couches so I just dealt with the weird configurations.

Then at our new place in Portland it said it was 864 sq ft but I didn't account for how much space the stairs take up so the rooms are smaller than I'd figured. I'm used to a one story but this is cozy. It feels like a tiny house.

We rented a building for our workshop (more like hobbies and storage) about an hour north of here and they said it was 1000 sq ft. Once the old tenant was out we got in there and it's really about 1500 sq ft. So we got a bonus this time. Though we only need like 300-400 sq ft for what we're doing so we have this ridiculous amount of space until we can expand, gradually.
I'm glad the hobby and storage square footage worked out in your favor. But you should know for future reference that actually commercial square footage is measured differently than residential. Commercial leases are based on "rentable square feet" and not useable square feet.

This means that if a commercial property is advertised at 1000 square feet, in most cases, there is no way that the space itself is actually 1000 square feet, because they (legally and legitimately) used a calculation that includes common spaces.

So the ad or lease can say 1000 square feet when the space itself is only 700 square feet, but you are also paying for a portion of the common area square footage like lobbies, bathrooms, etc.

https://www.thebalance.com/calculati...-rents-3515436

Usable square feet is the number of square feet that a tenant actually occupies. But there are other parts of the building that all tenants use or benefit from. These parts are known as common areas and include hallways, stairwells, elevators, and lobbies.

The amount of square feet for common area spaces is divided among all tenants on a prorated basis. Each tenant pays a portion of the landlord's expenses for these common areas.

When these fees are added to the usable square feet the end result is called "rentable square feet."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City