Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLaramieWI View Post
No sir, not at all. I just am looking to be in Brooklyn, near work (school in Lower Manhattan) and play (Willie). Also car free, and at a price I can afford!
I lol'd pretty hard at "Willie".

I like your style, friend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Why do you want to live in bk?

With that said you sound like a perfect target, for real estate agents to fool and for hood people to enjoy. Goodluck with your decisions. If you have street smarts and dont frighten easily you will be fine. If you never heard gun shots on a semi regular basis and get stared at hard then get a roomate situation someplace else.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Enjoy Brownsville
Actually, that's more Bed-Stuy than Brownsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
OK is this a troll? East New York is one of the worst precincts in NYC.
Hmmm, let's see: We have a million posts talking about how dumb transplants from the Midwest are moving into crummy areas in Brooklyn because of all the real estate hype, and here we have somebody who claims to be a transplant from the Midwest who's moving into a crappy area because of the real estate hype. You tell me....

Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, that's more Bed-Stuy than Brownsville.

Hmmm, let's see: We have a million posts talking about how dumb transplants from the Midwest are moving into crummy areas in Brooklyn because of all the real estate hype, and here we have somebody who claims to be a transplant from the Midwest who's moving into a crappy area because of the real estate hype. You tell me....
But I'm pretty sure there have been some real posts from non-trolls who are asking similar questions. These people are looking online for apartments from wherever they live, and they see "Brooklyn - 1 bdr for $1000" and it looks all renovated inside and they start salivating, not understanding the bleak nature of the neighborhood it's in.

Also, I posted this article from today's Daily News in another thread about an unscrupulous landlord trying to get rid of his stabilized tenants so he can rent his apartments in Brownsville out for $1500 to $2300.
Brooklyn tenants bust into apartments after landlord locks them out - NY Daily News

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
and they see "Brooklyn - 1 bdr for $1000" and it looks all renovated inside and they start salivating, not understanding the bleak nature of the neighborhood it's in.
Smh. Poor kids. They just don't know.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 PM

229 posts, read 232,387 times
I would not move there if I was you.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
So I'm taking it the OP already signed a lease in this location? If so, at least one pro is she/he can brag to their friends about how they're living in the hood, what a novel experience it is, and how this makes them a true authentic NY'er. The downside is this person's gonna experience some real uncomfortable moments living in such neighborhood that they didn't even do any research on.

Oh well, you'll survived after 6 months to a year & then you'll just learn to either get a roommate or consider living in different parts of BK that's not near your job or your playground known as Willy (aka Bill Clinton).

Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
lmao, the OP reminds me of the dude from the song "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)"

Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 PM

35 posts, read 37,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLaramieWI View Post
But these areas are turning around because of housing demand, are they not?
They're not safe, by any means.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 PM

35 posts, read 37,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But I'm pretty sure there have been some real posts from non-trolls who are asking similar questions. These people are looking online for apartments from wherever they live, and they see "Brooklyn - 1 bdr for $1000" and it looks all renovated inside and they start salivating, not understanding the bleak nature of the neighborhood it's in.

Also, I posted this article from today's Daily News in another thread about an unscrupulous landlord trying to get rid of his stabilized tenants so he can rent his apartments in Brownsville out for $1500 to $2300.
Brooklyn tenants bust into apartments after landlord locks them out - NY Daily News

That slumlord should be in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City