U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM

11,422 posts, read 15,146,565 times
Default H Hudson toll bridge

since the H Hudson Bridge (NY 9A) no longer accepts cash, how would it work if someone passed thru the toll plaza with a rental car? who gets the bill, the rental car company or the driver? I assume the rental car company since the camera would snap the license plate #
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM

9,339 posts, read 15,374,241 times
Yes, there's a camera on the bridge, so the toll would be billed to the address on record with the DMV. Rental car companies usually attach an administrative fee for such, though, to encourage use of their toll transponders.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-28-2013, 01:48 PM

so if my brother passed thru the toll with his rental car, the rental car co gets the bill and bills him?

Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 1,394,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
so if my brother passed thru the toll with his rental car, the rental car co gets the bill and bills him?
He can always call the rental company & find out.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM

4,082 posts, read 1,616,336 times
Bill will be sent to the "owner" of the car, that is to whomever it is registered. If it is a rental car company they will get the demand and of course pay but then turn right around and charge your brother/who ever rented the car at that time. Many will tack on their own fees on top as well.

When you read the master rental agreement you get with every car rental it spells out in minute and clear detail about traffic tickets, tolls, etc... Bottom line the car rental company cannot afford to have outstanding tickets/tolls bills attached to their cars because the thing could be subject to impounding. Therefore they will pay such bills promptly and as per the rental agreement bill the renter for all costs.

This is why car rentals are most always done with valid credit or charge cards. Even after you return the car and have "paid" you'll see words to the affect "charges are subject to audit...".

People have seen their credit/charge cards charged weeks or even months after a car was returned for reasons such as damage, tolls, tickets, etc....

Don't know about other places but National Car rental receives all tickets from at least NY/NJ area electronically, and within about a week are paid. I got a ticket once (parking too close to a hydrant) and was going to dispute the thing because felt was no where near. By the time my copy of ticket arrived in the mail National had already charged my credit card to pay the thing in full and tacked on a nice fee as well. They told me the same thing I related above, National cannot have unpaid tickets attached to their autos. If I paid the ticket and or the thing was declared invalid/dismissed I could send them proof and they would refund all monies charged. Otherwise things were what they were.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM

great detail man thanks again

Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 1,394,932 times
Quote:
"All the major rental firms offer automatic toll payment programs"
Tolls trip rental car customers
"collecting all those tolls has become a big business. ... Violation Management Services, an outsourced firm ... collects such penalties on behalf of leasing companies and rental firms.
Violation Management Services

Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM

As more and more bridges, highways and such move to Ez-Pass or otherwise electronic toll collection instead of cash (with or without persons) it just makes sense to take the EZ-pass offered by rental companies. That or simply purchase your own (you can do so online, or at scores of retail outlets), that you can add money to as it is used.

Last night zoomed right past a long line of traffic coming into Manhattan as the cash lanes for the Lincoln Tunnel stretched way back.....

With an EZ-Pass you just have to slow down to creep though the toll plaza then that is that.

Same thing with the VZNB and on the Garden State/NJTP. Nothing is worse to my mind than being stuck in a cash lane when some driver tosses his/her coins and misses; then gets out of the vehicle to "find' the lost quarter or whatever. As if that was the last bit of money they had in the world! *LOL*

Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,251,877 times
I wonder though if you passed through with your own EZ pass in a rented car if you would get double billed (on your EZP and on the rental plate which is not associated with the plate)

Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
since the H Hudson Bridge (NY 9A) no longer accepts cash, how would it work if someone passed thru the toll plaza with a rental car? who gets the bill, the rental car company or the driver? I assume the rental car company since the camera would snap the license plate #
Here ya go:https://www.mtabt-tollsbymail.com/en/home/index.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City