Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Stop and frisk is illegal search and seizure. Its in the constitution. Stop and frisk is about profiling. Profiling says that all minorities must be criminals so we should take away their rights.....
Not a very good explanation. Maybe throw an example or two in there. Or perhaps some facts or statistics. Oh, but the facts and stats are probably bias as well since it's all a systematic approach to hold minorities down. Right?

Teen shot in upper body by police in Brownsville, Brooklyn | 7online.com

Here is an example. This poor teen was probably about to be a victim of stop and frisk, hence needed to defend himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not a very good explanation. Maybe throw an example or two in there. Or perhaps some facts or statistics. Oh, but the facts and stats are probably bias as well since it's all a systematic approach to hold minorities down. Right?

Teen shot in upper body by police in Brownsville, Brooklyn | 7online.com

Here is an example. This poor teen was probably about to be a victim of stop and frisk, hence needed to defend himself.
He was accused of having a gun in public by witnesses. In this case the cops would have to stop and frisk him and would have to check out the license on the gun, and compare that to the teen's id. If he wasn't the legal owner (and it looks like he isn't) then he is in serious trouble.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 AM

237 posts, read 191,910 times
No statistics are needed. What is the 4th amendment? Ask yourself that. The constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
No statistics are needed. What is the 4th amendment? Ask yourself that. The constitution is the supreme law of the land.
You seem to be new here. In what crackerjack box did you find your law degree?
A liberal SCOTUS found S&F proper. Mapp v. Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your racial comments are also bunk. Young black & latino males commit most of the violent street crimes in NYC; they are the ones looked at by the police. Why should the NYPD S&F females, asians or whites, when they are not the one committing the crimes?
BTW, proportionately more whites than blacks are stopped, compared with crime demographics.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He was accused of having a gun in public by witnesses. In this case the cops would have to stop and frisk him and would have to check out the license on the gun, and compare that to the teen's id. If he wasn't the legal owner (and it looks like he isn't) then he is in serious trouble.
Legal owner? I don't know much about the cities gun laws, but he's only 15. Not even old enough for a driving permit.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You seem to be new here. In what crackerjack box did you find your law degree?
A liberal SCOTUS found S&F proper. Mapp v. Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your racial comments are also bunk. Young black & latino males commit most of the violent street crimes in NYC; they are the ones looked at by the police. Why should the NYPD S&F females, asians or whites, when they are not the one committing the crimes?
BTW, proportionately more whites than blacks are stopped, compared with crime demographics.
For those that claim profiling, I guess they think that 44% (from another thread) of the stop & frisk incidents should be on whites. What would happen if the NYPD forced the S&F stats accordingly with the overall population makeup of the city? Other then a mass exodus of white residents city wide.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
What would happen if the NYPD forced the S&F stats accordingly with the overall population makeup of the city? Other then a mass exodus of white residents city wide.
The NYPD could distribute a card to stopped asians, whites & females, stating, "The NYPD are required by a crazy judge to base Stops on the demographic makeup of the city, rather than the demographic makeup of criminals. Your cooperation during this Stop is much appreciated, as it will help us quickly resume the more important task of searching for and stopping actually suspicious persons. Have a nice day. "
An additional box could be added to the report form "Random court-mandated stop".

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Legal owner? I don't know much about the cities gun laws, but he's only 15. Not even old enough for a driving permit.
So then they have to stop and frisk him to trace the gun to whoever bought it for him. That's more or less a given.

In this case, since the cops recovered the gun (after someone reported him as having one) it was perfectly legal to stop him.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
lol. That was rich. Check the license on the gun. Unless the 15 year old was a cop, the odds of him legally carrying a gun in NYC are about .00001%.

For what it's worth, the legal age to purchase a handgun, nationwide, is 21.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Where you from again? I probably spend more time in these NYC communities than you do. I only notice people getting stop and frisked around subway stations, then again I do not hang out in PJ courtyards or loiter in front of bodegas. I've looked at the stats. Both crime stats and stop and frisked stats. The only precinct that looks like they over S&F in proportion to actual crime would be the precinct in Queens that covers Cambria Heights, St Albans, Springfield Gardens and Queens Village. But when you think of it that precinct covers a lot of different neighborhoods compared to the average NYC precinct. And again, I don't support S&F, but it is difficult to argue that it profiles by looking at statistics. Doing so sounds like you'd want revenge by profiling white and Asians, which would be a waste of money, rather than end the practice all together.
That may be true but I have been black a hell of alot longer and have been under more scutiny by bias police officers eventhough I never committed a crime. Personally that is not my beef as to who they stop and how many times that they do it but WHAT and HOW they do it in comparison to how they (police) treat others ethnic groups. This is something that is not unique to New York City it is a national trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City