Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,242 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college this spring and recently received a job offer in Jersey City near the Paulus Hook ferry station.

I'm from the west coast, so I'm a little confused about the rental situation around New York. I'll be turning 21 a few months after moving; will living in Jersey City kill my social life? I'd like to be able to go out regularly, but from what I hear it's difficult to get a taxi from NYC to JC late at night so coming home could be difficult. Unfortunately the JC location makes any other borough pretty much a non-starter; anywhere in Queens or Brooklyn (minus Brooklyn Heights) would be a 1 hour+ commute.

Living in the upper east\west side would be 40 minutes (doable); would it be worth stretching my budget to try and find a decent studio in those areas? I'm working in finance so my pay is pretty bonus-dependent; base salary is 85k which limits me to $2.1k\month with the 40x rule. I've found a few places in Manhattan in that range but I'm not sure how reliable online sites are, and Jersey City is tempting for the low prices (I could get something < 1.5k\month 5 minutes from work). Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:02 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
If you want to have any sort of social life that involves Manhattan late a night, I suggest looking in that area, period.

Path does not run all night service and yes some taxi drivers are not keen on going to NJ (or even Brooklyn for that matter), so unless you want to crash at friends or "other" persons' apartments overnight; and doing the walk of shame the next day, live in Manhattan.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:07 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,156,449 times
PATH *does* run all night. If you can really get a place that cheap, I'd stick with Jersey City.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 PM

8,094 posts, read 6,718,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinportland View Post
I'm graduating from college this spring and recently received a job offer in Jersey City near the Paulus Hook ferry station.

I'm from the west coast, so I'm a little confused about the rental situation around New York. I'll be turning 21 a few months after moving; will living in Jersey City kill my social life? I'd like to be able to go out regularly, but from what I hear it's difficult to get a taxi from NYC to JC late at night so coming home could be difficult. Unfortunately the JC location makes any other borough pretty much a non-starter; anywhere in Queens or Brooklyn (minus Brooklyn Heights) would be a 1 hour+ commute.

Living in the upper east\west side would be 40 minutes (doable); would it be worth stretching my budget to try and find a decent studio in those areas? I'm working in finance so my pay is pretty bonus-dependent; base salary is 85k which limits me to $2.1k\month with the 40x rule. I've found a few places in Manhattan in that range but I'm not sure how reliable online sites are, and Jersey City is tempting for the low prices (I could get something < 1.5k\month 5 minutes from work). Any advice would be appreciated.
Better off living where you work dude. When I drove a cab many moons ago I loved going to Jersey at double the meter. The key to getting a cab to go to Jersey is to get into the cab and then ask him to take you to your destination. By law he has to take you.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
PATH *does* run all night. If you can really get a place that cheap, I'd stick with Jersey City.
Does it? Quick check of it's website said something about 6AM to 11pm

Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessinportland View Post
job offer in Jersey City near the Paulus Hook ferry station.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PaulusHook.JPG
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=paulu...ed=0CCkQ8gEwAA
Why not live near your workplace, where you'll be going 5 days every week, and use the PATH, rather than the ferry, for Friday night & Saturday trips to the city?
Paulus Hook
Looks like the ferry doesn't run at night to/from Paulus Hook, & costs $8 each way.
Can be an adventure, too! Ferry makes hard landing at Jersey City pier, sends riders tumbling* - NY Daily News
PATH runs 24 hours & costs $2.50 each way. Exchange Place trains run to Hoboken & WTC.
Maps & Schedule - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,225,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does it? Quick check of it's website said something about 6AM to 11pm
It absolutely does run all night, every night. The routes change slightly after 11 and on weekends, but there is service at every station at all hours.

Maps - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

You might be confused by three lines only running 6am to 11pm (though Newark-WTC with three stops in Jersey City, including Exchange Place, runs the same route 24/7). The reason is that those three lines are merged into a single line late nights/on weekends, but the trains still run to all stations.

Anyway, don't use the ferry. It's ridiculously expensive for the service it offers ($7 for a really short ride). It's also not helpful for late at night; unlike the PATH, it closes, and pretty early--I think the last ferry to Exchange Place is at around 9:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Better off living where you work dude. When I drove a cab many moons ago I loved going to Jersey at double the meter. The key to getting a cab to go to Jersey is to get into the cab and then ask him to take you to your destination. By law he has to take you.
This is not true. They are only required by law to take you within the five boroughs or to Newark Airport. They can decline to take you anywhere outside the five boroughs except Newark Airport. Some will take you anyway, but some also will not. OTOH, it's always convenient to take a taxi to the WTC PATH station and then a train.

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 11-29-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 PM

8,094 posts, read 6,718,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
It absolutely does run all night, every night. The routes change slightly after 11 and on weekends, but there is service at every station at all hours.

Maps - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

You might be confused by three lines only running 6am to 11pm (though Newark-WTC with three stops in Jersey City, including Exchange Place, runs the same route 24/7). The reason is that those three lines are merged into a single line late nights/on weekends, but the trains still run to all stations.

Anyway, don't use the ferry. It's ridiculously expensive for the service it offers ($7 for a really short ride). It's also not helpful for late at night; unlike the PATH, it closes, and pretty early--I think the last ferry to Exchange Place is at around 9:30.

This is not true. They are only required by law to take you within the five boroughs or to Newark Airport. They can decline to take you anywhere outside the five boroughs except Newark Airport. Some will take you anyway, but some also will not. OTOH, it's always convenient to take a taxi to the WTC PATH station and then a train.
That's true, thanks for the correction.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,988,244 times
Dude live near your job and avoid the headache of crossing state lines on a daily basis.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:45 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,329,475 times
Living in NJ will also keep more of your salary in your pocket as you will not have to pay city resident income tax, which can pay for transit to/from Manhattan. The UWS is easier for JC, or Midtown West, as you can get to Penn easily and then the PATH to JC, but you could find a 1BR in JC for the price of a studio in Manhattan (with NYC resident income tax). An easy commute to JC with the long hours that are required for your first few years would be more beneficial than being located across the river and having to commute the longer distance to/from work.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City