Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 AM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times

Advertisements

I take the subway all the time.....wonder what the odds are of this happening to me on my work commute.....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM

386 posts, read 667,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I take the subway all the time.....wonder what the odds are of this happening to me on my work commute.....
Let's hope not that high

Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,873,496 times
Did the derailment happen in Riverdale or The Bronx?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Same thing. Riverdale is the Westernmost part of the Bronx.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
in the Kingsbridge PO zip code 10463

Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Push vs. Pull.

The engine was at the back pushing. This seems to me a bad idea.
Think about it, if an engine at the front derails, the locomotion will stop because it cannot run in dirt...all it will have propelling it will be momentum.
However with a locomotive at the rear, if a front car derails the locomotive will continue to push for a much longer time, relatively speaking.

Think of all the people trying to return to NYC today from the North. It will be a cosmic mess.

Geez, 100 yards from the station? You'd think the train would have drastically slowed down?
Alot of Agencies use push-pull its cheaper then EMU or DMUs in North America , although they just changed the regulations to the European regulations so it will be cheaper to buy EMU's and DMU's. The reason for the Diesel being in the rear is due to the exhaust and noise that would disturb people at Grand Central , NJT does the same for Hoboken Trains. The brakes might have failled , thats really the only reason anybody can think of in the Transportation community. Most likely its a veteran who operating this train as newbies can't due this line.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Ill bet those across the river in Tenafly NJ will be taking pictures...and those in the elevator vestibule in River Plaza shopping center will be able to see the whole thing

Old 12-01-2013, 11:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning then your train derailing , there have only been 4 Passenger derailments this year in US.... If you live near a Freight line , theres some chance you might see a derailment near your house in your lifetime , theres been over 70 Freight train derailments so far this year. As for Urban Transit , theres only been 3 derailments this year , that aren't caused by a car or truck at a crossing.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Push vs. Pull.

The engine was at the back pushing. This seems to me a bad idea.
Think about it, if an engine at the front derails, the locomotion will stop because it cannot run in dirt...all it will have propelling it will be momentum.
However with a locomotive at the rear, if a front car derails the locomotive will continue to push for a much longer time, relatively speaking.

Think of all the people trying to return to NYC today from the North. It will be a cosmic mess.
Thousands of trains push their way across America's rails every day with absolutely no problems. Don't expect a change any time soon.
Quote:
Geez, 100 yards from the station? You'd think the train would have drastically slowed down?
It wasn't stopping at that station, however speed through the curve is supposed to be 30mph. Why the engineer wasn't able slow or didn't slow, we won't know for quite a while after the investigation is complete. There's a small chance that he did slow and something else happened, but given his own comments that doesn't appear likely. Just my point is that it's too early to really assign a cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i wonder if the curve from N-S to E-W had anything to do with it
Not really, it's a 30mph curve, but having the curve there doesn't inherently mean much.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 PM

yeah i forgot that this happened on the busiest weekend of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City