Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I doubt it. Rocks get kicked up into these trains all the time, shouldn't be enough to derail a train and kill 4 people. New Yorkers pay insane taxes, astronomical bridge and tunnel tolls, and suffer from ever increasing fares. The reason for this we are told is that we need to pay union members 100k a year to properly operate and maintain these trains in order to be safe. We shall see what the investigation uncovers.
If the brakes did fail, then the engineer could not have applied brakes before the curve resulting in the train far exceeding the speed limit. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the rock itself derailed the train. One-in-a-million chances happen all the time. Think about Challenger, or Columbia space shuttles. For Challenger, the odds were very small that the rocket booster should burn through exactly where it did. For Columbia, the odds were very small that the foam should hit the wing nearly head-on at exactly the right time. In both of these cases, the burn-through and foam strikes had happened plenty of times before, just those particular times they beat the odds and hit just right to cause a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If the brakes did fail, then the engineer could not have applied brakes before the curve resulting in the train far exceeding the speed limit. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the rock itself derailed the train. One-in-a-million chances happen all the time. Think about Challenger, or Columbia space shuttles. For Challenger, the odds were very small that the rocket booster should burn through exactly where it did. For Columbia, the odds were very small that the foam should hit the wing nearly head-on at exactly the right time. In both of these cases, the burn-through and foam strikes had happened plenty of times before, just those particular times they beat the odds and hit just right to cause a problem.
Actually, with Columbia, and especially with Challenger, the risks were totally real, measurable, and actually foreseen. The problem there was that NASA was a governmental/political organization that strived to look good to the public on the surface by having rockets launch on time in order to keep the government bacon flowing in. I guess the MTA works in the same sort of way. We shall see.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
My point is still that just because something happens hundreds of times that don't normally cause a problem, doesn't mean it never will.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Victims identified in fatal Metro-North derailment:
Metro-North Train Derails in the Bronx, 4 Killed, Dozens Injured | NBC New York
http://www.ny1.com/content/news/1996...ain-derailment
http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york...ment-1.6521318

Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If there was a mechanical failure, the fact that the stretch of tracks above Spuyten Duyvil are relatively straight, where trains travel at higher rates of speed, would contribute to the severity of this derailment. From the reports I have read, the engineer was experienced, so it would not have been a case of not being familiar with that particular area of track. It was such a tragic accident, and I hope the cause is easily identified, especially if it leads to improved safety. Someone I know who lives right near the crash site on Palisade said that the scene was scary to view in person, knowing that so many were critically injured, and the four people who died in this incident.

The Harlem Line trains will likely take much of the Hudson traffic until rail service is restored on that stretch of track. So, commutes will be a bit more difficult, with much more crowded trains. I think the MTA is planning extra service on the 1-train to take MNR traffic from Yonkers via shuttle bus.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 PM

25 posts, read 46,549 times
"The train operator -- who is among the injured -- told investigators he applied brakes to the train, but it didn't slow down, a law enforcement official on the scene and familiar with the investigation said."

Taken from the news article. I think it's relatively safe to say it was mechanical failure and not an inexperienced or sleeping operator like some are implying.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
id bet the Bx3 express bus would be packed as it comes from Getty Square and down 5th Avenue.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6679 View Post
"The train operator -- who is among the injured -- told investigators he applied brakes to the train"
It's possible that he did apply the brakes, but too late, or while going too fast.
4 dead, 63 injured after NYC-bound Metro-North passenger train derails in Bronx - NY Daily News
“It’s definitely human error,” a different source told The News. “The speed was excessive.”
“We were going so fast around that turn, something wasn’t right,” ...
"Passengers said the train seemed to be traveling too fast to take the curve safely."
"NTSB investigators ... recovered the train’s “black box” which records the speed and will note if the engineer did try to apply the brakes."

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
RIP to the victims...

Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It will be demonstrated with a blackboard and a pointer that Al-Quaida was responsible and we will immediately invade YEMEN.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-02-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City