Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should People be Allowed to Rent out Per Night?
Yes, In All Cases 19 31.67%
No, Apartments are Not Hotels 24 40.00%
It should be allowed in certain situations 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
NO, I state firmly from my current neighborhood.
In the past, my family knew lots of people who would travel and sublet for the rent and cat care, for example. They were often artists or photographers who traveled in connection with work, were awarded three-month residencies somewhere, and so on.

In Harlem this is an industry. People obtain "low income" apartments, or have rent stabilized apartments, and run businesses renting them out from a girlfriend's place - where they actually live. The constant streams of transient strangers are a very negative effect of this.

It is astonishing how common this is here.
Yet another good reason to get rid of Rent Stabilization/Rent Control simply because the lease-holders of these RS/RC apartments know that they are entitled to have their leases renewed under RS law. So whats to stop them from doing illegal renting especially when they pay below market rents and profiteer off the landlord when you have the RS law protecting your back?

Sure the landlord can hire an investigator but that requires a good sum of money to put up front and the findings still does not guarantee a tenant friendly housing judge will evict the leaseholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM

448 posts, read 685,146 times
I don't see the issue. Unless you make it a point to get close to your neighbors, everyone in your building is a stranger anyway. So you're always at risk regardless.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yet another good reason to get rid of Rent Stabilization/Rent Control simply because the lease-holders of these RS/RC apartments know that they are entitled to have their leases renewed under RS law. So whats to stop them from doing illegal renting especially when they pay below market rents and profiteer off the landlord when you have the RS law protecting your back?

Sure the landlord can hire an investigator but that requires a good sum of money to put up front and the findings still does not guarantee a tenant friendly housing judge will evict the leaseholder.
That is not wholly true. A landlord can begin hold over proceedings against any RS tenant found to be in violation of lease terms up to and including illegal activity.

Indoor prostitution has become a huge problem in NYC however NYPD and DA's office will work "hard" on landlords that do nothing when busts are made from the same apartment. This can include threatening criminal or civil action for "promoting" if it can be proven landlord knew or should have known.

RS tenants have been evicted recently from their apartments for a host of reasons, including a sixty some odd old woman from GV because her landlord found she made substantial renovations to the apartment.

If a RS is renting out their unit for Airbnb it can violate a host of terms on their lease including subletting. It can also lead to charges they are threatening the safety and health of other tenants (warranty of habitability).

Think we'll usually find what landlords do to RS tenants violating terms of their lease often depends upon if they pay market rate or below. If someone is paying $500/month for a one bedroom or even studio apartment in GV, the UES or any place else below Harlem and or in a "hot" area such as Brooklyn Heights, you can bet the landlord will probably use every trick in the book to get them out.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post

They are removed when tenants complain - as has happened.
Unfortunately, not all of the tenants complain.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I don't see the issue. Unless you make it a point to get close to your neighbors, everyone in your building is a stranger anyway. So you're always at risk regardless.
We had the same issue in my building, a small unsubsidized coop. We sold a 2 bedroom apt to a couple with no children. Last summer we had strangers come in with keys and leave in the mornings, comings and goings with suit cases. We have pressured that person to sell back to the coop, and move. We didn't have a big legal hassle just a few meetings and everyone putting pressure on the person. They did not want to stop it so they agreed to move.

The purpose of a coop is to live with people you know, or get to know at least on a small level. You know all your neighbors in a coop building. Even in the larger ones, you can always ask someone like the super or management who are the people in apt X?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 PM

448 posts, read 685,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
We had the same issue in my building, a small unsubsidized coop. We sold a 2 bedroom apt to a couple with no children. Last summer we had strangers come in with keys and leave in the mornings, comings and goings with suit cases. We have pressured that person to sell back to the coop, and move. We didn't have a big legal hassle just a few meetings and everyone putting pressure on the person. They did not want to stop it so they agreed to move.

The purpose of a coop is to live with people you know, or get to know at least on a small level. You know all your neighbors in a coop building. Even in the larger ones, you can always ask someone like the super or management who are the people in apt X?
I don't speak to anyone in my building. I just keep it to "Hi" and "Bye". Not for any particular reason, that's just how I am. Which is why I said what I said. For all I know, the neighbors I've been waving too everyday for 2 years, could be hiding bodies in their apartment. Hell, they probably think that about me.

Reason why I don't see the difference between that, and someone having a stranger move in.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post

Exactly.

I think people in rentals feel the same, though. Kind of like the older New York. Most of the renters I know appreciate that they know most everyone in their buildings.

Would not want people to think you are an "uptight snob" - I think it was. Too funny.
People are not very smart.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Nobody has brought it up yet but there is another issue…..bedbugs.

Such transiency helps spread them around.
In fact, I just heard about some litigation around this, tenants suing the landlord. They had been writing him that one of the tenants (rental building) was running a rental service, he either ignored them or did not move quickly enough. They think the bugs are from the transient room-renters.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I don't want people coming and going from my apt building whether I rent or own. I don't need to know everyone in my building but I want people who belong there no randoms. If you live longer term in a building you care more about your home and others around you. if you are staying a few days maybe those people won't care about the building and liter the hallways or have loud parties late.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:12 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That is not wholly true. A landlord can begin hold over proceedings against any RS tenant found to be in violation of lease terms up to and including illegal activity.

Indoor prostitution has become a huge problem in NYC however NYPD and DA's office will work "hard" on landlords that do nothing when busts are made from the same apartment. This can include threatening criminal or civil action for "promoting" if it can be proven landlord knew or should have known.

RS tenants have been evicted recently from their apartments for a host of reasons, including a sixty some odd old woman from GV because her landlord found she made substantial renovations to the apartment.

If a RS is renting out their unit for Airbnb it can violate a host of terms on their lease including subletting. It can also lead to charges they are threatening the safety and health of other tenants (warranty of habitability).

Think we'll usually find what landlords do to RS tenants violating terms of their lease often depends upon if they pay market rate or below. If someone is paying $500/month for a one bedroom or even studio apartment in GV, the UES or any place else below Harlem and or in a "hot" area such as Brooklyn Heights, you can bet the landlord will probably use every trick in the book to get them out.
It's not that easy my friend. Though I wish it were. Believe me, I'm a landlord and the law is stacked against us landlords. Removing a RS tenant is super difficult and near to impossible. You would have to get a sizable amount of tenants in the building to cooperate and come together, miss work for a day or two to attend court in defense of the landlord to show proof of any illegal activity going on.

What winds up happening is many tenants will complain but never follow through and actually go to court to make the accusations stick. So as a result the problematic tenant remains in his rent stabilized apartment and nothing changes. There would have to be overwhelming evidence against the tenant for a sympathetic housing judge to evict a RS tenant and thats still not a guarantee. Usually the judge will give the tenant an opportunity to cure the problem before they evict them. It's really crazy and ass backwards in the RS world. The abuse that goes on is mind blowing.

If the apartment were a normal free market apartment like the rest of America, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The landlord would have the power to terminate the lease for such illegal activities and/or have the option to NOT renew the tenant's lease when it expires. Very simple, straightforward and clean transaction. With Rent Stabilized apartments you don't have that straightforward, common sense approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City