U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM
 
4 posts, read 9,682 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a college student. I'm currently staying at my friend's mother's house because I was kicked out of MY mother's house. This is not the first time, probably the 3rd or 4th time. I'm only 19 years old, and I've been moving from place to place since I was about 16 or 17 years old. I'm officially tired of having an unstable life because I have to worry about school. It is bad enough my situation has already somewhat affected my school life. It's so stressful.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone know about any shelters that I can go to in New York for women and/or college students. I don't have any kids, which is even more difficult because most shelters that are somewhat decent and/or somewhat helpful are family shelters. Not many shelters help single adults without children from what I heard. I want to find a shelter that can eventually help me find an apartment and a job perhaps, temporary or not. I don't have a job, but I am and have been searching for one for a while now.

I'm just simply trying to get my life together because my friend's mother is moving down south some time next year, so my time is limited.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,258 posts, read 34,389,533 times
Reputation: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Sing View Post
Hello All,

I am a college student. I'm currently staying at my friend's mother's house because I was kicked out of MY mother's house. This is not the first time, probably the 3rd or 4th time. I'm only 19 years old, and I've been moving from place to place since I was about 16 or 17 years old. I'm officially tired of having an unstable life because I have to worry about school. It is bad enough my situation has already somewhat affected my school life. It's so stressful.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone know about any shelters that I can go to in New York for women and/or college students. I don't have any kids, which is even more difficult because most shelters that are somewhat decent and/or somewhat helpful are family shelters. Not many shelters help single adults without children from what I heard. I want to find a shelter that can eventually help me find an apartment and a job perhaps, temporary or not. I don't have a job, but I am and have been searching for one for a while now.

I'm just simply trying to get my life together because my friend's mother is moving down south some time next year, so my time is limited.

Thanks
Why do you keep getting kicked out of your mother's house? Do you have a job? Get one, and rent a room until you can save up to rent an apartment.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM
 
1,192 posts, read 1,470,025 times
Reputation: 1732
Are you hot? I have a king size bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,898 posts, read 5,090,835 times
Reputation: 2167
Most sensible people will steer you away from the shelter system.
If you think living in a shelter will be like staying at a college dorm, you're in for very unpleasant surprise.

Good thing you don't have any kids. Keep it that way!

And yea, get a job and a room where rent is cheap.

"Southern" Bronx maybe?
Sobro ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
 
Location: The A
386 posts, read 547,036 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Are you hot? I have a king size bed.
Beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
 
1,233 posts, read 1,420,750 times
Reputation: 2169
Get a job, and rent a small room. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,355,270 times
Reputation: 6346
Call Covenant House (Under 21) or go to the facility yourself. It's located in Manhattan. They should definitely be able to help you.

I PM'd you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,355,270 times
Reputation: 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why do you keep getting kicked out of your mother's house? Do you have a job? Get one, and rent a room until you can save up to rent an apartment.
Why do people on here give out this type of advice to people who clearly come from "troubled" backgrounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,258 posts, read 34,389,533 times
Reputation: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why do people on here give out this type of advice to people who clearly come from "troubled" backgrounds?
Her "troubled" background is not deterring her from being a current college student, so why can't she get a job? I got a better idea - let her come crash at your place.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM
 
6,474 posts, read 10,355,270 times
Reputation: 6346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Her "troubled" background is not deterring her from being a current college student, so why can't she get a job? I got a better idea - let her come crash at your place.
She's 19 years old and you're telling her to get a JOB and rent a "room" as if $7.25 an hour working less than 20 hours a week will be able to pay her rent.

Then you say she should "save up" for an apartment as if she'll find a place that will actually rent to her.

I'm really surprised at you Seventh. Really, I am.

Anyway, I PM'd her some info. She'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top