Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 AM

709 posts, read 1,128,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Do you really live in Downtown DC or in one of the suburbs--- If you think the subway system there is better you my friend are delusional . There are thousands of people there who would have to drive to the subway. True it is cleaner but in terms of service there is no comparison. DC always ranks high on the most dangerous cities in the country while NYC does not... glad you are enjoying yourself but your comparison is way off base
The NYC subway offers more coverage and better hours. Its also cheaper for long distances. So if that is the only criteria you are using then you are right.

However the DC subway is safer, cleaner, more comfortable, and nicer. It is also improving as they are currently overhauling most of the system. They are adding new lines, replacing old rail cars, and improving basically everything. Plus no rats, no urine smell and no bums.

Also there are areas of NYC where you would have to take a cab or drive to get to a subway station. New Jersey has virtually no subway access and its right across the water. Unlike DC, the NYC subways doesn't go deep into the suburbs. The DC subways travels to DC, Maryland and Virginia.

If you think everything from NYC is "flawless" just because its in NYC then you are the delusional one.. as most New Yorkers are. Again... NYC is awesome.. but it doesn't do EVERYTHING better and people need to stop pretending it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,570,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post

If you think everything from NYC is "flawless" just because its in NYC then you are the delusional one.. as most New Yorkers are. Again... NYC is awesome.. but it doesn't do EVERYTHING better and people need to stop pretending it does.
Nah it's hardly paradise, It's a jungle of extremes - things both great and awful. It's the extremes that give it it's unique character and flair though.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,823,487 times
No. I was born & raised here.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
what about diarrhea and run at the same time???
geez that's bad - do you go out and intentionally search for a picture like that or what

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM

709 posts, read 1,128,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have to take an escalator to get to any subway platform in DC, it sucks. And it doesn't go to too many places, you still need to drive to get around easily, not to mention it doesn't run over night and there's no express service
DC is a very walkable and cab accessible city. You don't need to drive your own car to get around easily any more than in NYC. I have several friends who don't have cars.

The DC subway is the second busiest subway system in the country. Its right behind New York in ridership plus its nicer. In the next decade it will be even better. People forget its relatively new. The NYC subway opened in the late 1800's. The DC subway opened in the 1970's. I would HOPE a subway system that got a 80 year head-start would do a few things better.

There are many places it doesn't go but most of those places (besides Georgetown and parts of Wisconsin Ave) are not places most people care about. If you're in downtown DC you can easily walk to a subway station. If you are in the outskirts where there is little or no commercial business then you might be very far from a subway.

On weekdays it runs until 12AM. On Friday and Saturday it runs until 3 AM. Not bad. The hours are based on demand.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM

588 posts, read 945,722 times
no

Old 12-14-2013, 02:08 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
geez that's bad - do you go out and intentionally search for a picture like that or what
Ups and Downs Chick posted a pic with similar theme. And she is a petite, hair salonist. Very unfeminine behavior.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 PM

12,816 posts, read 18,646,079 times
I think about native New Yorkers a lot. I'd love to pick their brains and write a book. I like thinking about the ones who have never known anything else and don't sit around thinking about whether they're lucky to live there or whether they'll ever leave.

I've also thought about different regions, states and cities throughout the nation in general in terms of whether the natives of those places are envied by a fair share of the people who think about such things. For instance, I'm a native South Carolinian. While my state brings a lot of embarrassment upon itself from the perspective of many, it also recently was called the nation's most polite state. The weather is mild in the winter and there are lots of lakes and rivers in addition to the beaches. The southern accent as spoken in South Carolina was also recently called the most attractive to the largest number of people answering a survey about accents. The New York accent was second.

Just as there are people, like myself sometimes, who wish they could experience being a native New Yorker, there must be people who envy the status of native southerners in some ways. And then there must be some cities or regions whose residents pretty much are not envied by much of anyone at this point in time.

New York residents have a unique set of things to be envied for. It's a fun question. I can't spend a lot of time closing my eyes and imagining life in NYC, though, without the thought of a lot of stress becoming as strong an aspect as any other part of my life there. Maybe I'll try it out some day anyway.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 AM

20 posts, read 24,575 times
You'll never get bored here, but at one point in time, you'll want to go somewhere serene and green...

Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,988,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
The NYC subway offers more coverage and better hours. Its also cheaper for long distances. So if that is the only criteria you are using then you are right.

However the DC subway is safer, cleaner, more comfortable, and nicer. It is also improving as they are currently overhauling most of the system. They are adding new lines, replacing old rail cars, and improving basically everything. Plus no rats, no urine smell and no bums.

Also there are areas of NYC where you would have to take a cab or drive to get to a subway station. New Jersey has virtually no subway access and its right across the water. Unlike DC, the NYC subways doesn't go deep into the suburbs. The DC subways travels to DC, Maryland and Virginia.

I am far from a "homer" for NYC as I really am from Boston but you paint a very negative picture of the NYC subway by citing urine smell and "bums" - your word not mine. For the "suburbs" NYC has Metro north, LIRR or Path... you fail to address that DC (the city not the suburbs) is a dangerous place to live. Where do you live--- my guess is that you are not in DC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City