Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM

33,510 posts, read 46,882,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Pride should come from accomplishments not things that just happen to you.

Having pride in your gender, height, race, age, etc. are examples of being proud of something that didn't require you to actually do anything. To me these are stupid things to take pride in.
Having pride in where you're from is stupid?

Are you a military brat?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
NY will always be my hometown, but what's so great about it? Really? I know I have vocalized this before, but seriously? The weather stinks (most of the time), the people are rude (or a good majority of them), the prices are too high for almost everything, it's overcrowded and frustrating just to get from point A to B....etc.

You can good food in other places, there is public transportation in other places too, although it might not be as extensive as it is here, but there is stuff available. Job opportunities might be harder to come by, but let's face it, the job market everywhere is pretty crappy now anyway.

I just never really got the hype for this place. So many people that have been born and raised here so hard and unhappy. I guess if you come from a really boring, stale town this place might seem like the place to be...but growing up here and having visited other big cities, I feel there are much better places out there with better qualities of life.

JMO of course. I don't want to bash anyone that loves it here, it's just so interesting to see the differences of opinion.
I'm sorry that has been your experience - but that's not mine.

What other large cities have you been to that you truly enjoyed? Just trying to get a feel for what's your scene.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Seventh Floor has accomplished a lot in NYC. He has a house there, a car, and a family.

I don't see anything wrong with him being proud to live in NYC. The fact he established himself in NYC did not just happen to him. He earned it.
If I was from Tuscon, AZ I would feel the same way.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,847,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry that has been your experience - but that's not mine.

What other large cities have you been to that you truly enjoyed? Just trying to get a feel for what's your scene.
I think the true problem is the shift in the city's economy. NYC was geared towards low income working class people. But with changes in the national and global economy, the city shifted a lot more towards being a name brand location that makes its money off of real estate, adverting, media, tech, and other professions where one needs a good education and a different set of social skills.

I think much of the misery is a lot of people caught in this shift who for whatever reasons can't change with the times find nothing they can look forward to in their futures in NYC.

The reason why they don't leave is its not like their skills would have them living the good life elsewhere, either. And excessive dependency on the city has spoiled a lot of poor people here (they can't drive, so moving out to places where one must drive won't work unless one learns how to drive).

That doesn't mean that NYC is a bad place, or a terrible place. It isn't.

Clearly you're an accomplished person and a homeowner and therefore have a certain amount of stability. I'm sure at least some of the complainers here are living with family, and when the older ones die or retire (and move out in the country) they won't be able to afford the neighborhoods where they live. A certain subset of person in NYC would need to make major changes or they face living out in the streets.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,229,876 times
My 30-year old cousin, after struggling to make it in NYC, is moving to New Orleans. She will be able to rent a furnished room in a house share with a friend for $300/month. If she gets a job for $9.00/hour (approx. $1,475/month) she will actually be able to save some money.

I never understood how people move to NYC, love the life, but at age 30 have the exact same amount of money in the bank that they had when they were 22.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,954,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
My 30-year old cousin, after struggling to make it in NYC, is moving to New Orleans. She will be able to rent a furnished room in a house share with a friend for $300/month. If she gets a job for $9.00/hour (approx. $1,475/month) she will actually be able to save some money.

I never understood how people move to NYC, love the life, but at age 30 have the exact same amount of money in the bank that they had when they were 22.
New Orleans is a nice city. Katrina did wonders for that place, wish Sandy could have done the same for NYC. But any how. Plenty of opportunities are in post Katrina New Orleans, so much contstruction going on. Home prices are still low but slowly climbing back up. Much of the interest of home buyers are from NYC and other parts of the Northeast where homes are unaffordable for many, same goes for West Coast as well. I even had an opportunity to buy a home in New Orleans for 170k on rampart street, as well as another home for 140k a few blocks away. These houses have plenty of charm. A broker told me once the cable car tracks are laid down along Rampart street, home values might increase to 200k or more.

The main problem for living in NYC is density which has its pros and cons. For me NYC cons outweighs its pros. For one NYC there is too much competition. I know of people a decade ago, or even a generation ago had it much more easier to settle in and find a decent stable job. Years ago you did not have all of these kids from fly over country moving to NYC looking for work and opportunity. Thanks to back to the city movement and gentrification, it has become increasingly hard for many locals to find stable employment as well as the increase of rent cost, public transportation cost, auto insurance, gas, and all other miscellaneous costs that contributes to living in an overburden city that is NY. Hell I even know of college educated people who are struggling. I do make a decent earning, but thanks to gentrification I and others that I know find it difficult to move up the ladder, or even switch professions and or careers.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the true problem is the shift in the city's economy. NYC was geared towards low income working class people. But with changes in the national and global economy, the city shifted a lot more towards being a name brand location that makes its money off of real estate, adverting, media, tech, and other professions where one needs a good education and a different set of social skills.

I think much of the misery is a lot of people caught in this shift who for whatever reasons can't change with the times find nothing they can look forward to in their futures in NYC.

The reason why they don't leave is its not like their skills would have them living the good life elsewhere, either. And excessive dependency on the city has spoiled a lot of poor people here (they can't drive, so moving out to places where one must drive won't work unless one learns how to drive).

That doesn't mean that NYC is a bad place, or a terrible place. It isn't.

Clearly you're an accomplished person and a homeowner and therefore have a certain amount of stability. I'm sure at least some of the complainers here are living with family, and when the older ones die or retire (and move out in the country) they won't be able to afford the neighborhoods where they live. A certain subset of person in NYC would need to make major changes or they face living out in the streets.
That's what I want to get at - the key of the misery. All these "I hate NYC" threads and the like. Like damn, why so much anger? How can we help these people find their happiness, in NYC or elsewhere? They come and vent, so the least I can do is listen to their stories and offer some advice...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:35 PM

18,888 posts, read 13,773,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Pride should come from accomplishments not things that just happen to you.

Having pride in your gender, height, race, age, etc. are examples of being proud of something that didn't require you to actually do anything. To me these are stupid things to take pride in.
Great points. Pride in unearned aspects of our lives has been the cause of many problems, from the simplest fist fights to world wars.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Great points. Pride in unearned aspects of our lives has been the cause of many problems, from the simplest fist fights to world wars.
So taking pride in your heritage is bad. Cool.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,127,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Having pride in where you're from is stupid?

Are you a military brat?
Having pride in anything you didn't accomplish is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City