Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Yea I feel lucky to be here because every time I go down south, people admire how I'm from here and always tell me how once they reach their goals (success) they are coming to live here.
I hope you're right. That would mean even less people down south when I move there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I hope you're right. That would mean even less people down south when I move there!
It all depends on the person. Usually I receive a lot of love down south from people.

People don't realize that in almost every city a good portion of the people have a love/hate relationship.

New Yorkers complain about expense and delays on subways. People down south are very envious of our nightlife, urbanity and culture.

When i use to work at the Sheraton hotel, plenty of people down south would book rooms just to experience the pleasure of staying out all night and walking the streets, and not having to go to a restaurant which involved using a car and driving in a highway to go there.

Me personally, I admire the south for it's family like culture and it's affordable housing, but other then nice homes for cheap I couldn't personally see myself living down there.

On the other hand I love the idea of San Diego and plan to visit one day or maybe even live.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa809 View Post
Wow...that's funny. everytime I go down South I get asked why in the world would I want to live in NYC? Talk about manners. I have MORE manners because what i want to say back to them is....Olive Garden is NOT a gourmet restaurant and houses aren't supposed to be on wheels!!!!! lol
Not in my experience. I couldn't handle the south. Then again I am a young man who speak to other young people. When it comes to partying, nightlife, eating, activities and discovering, the south lacks in every department. Like I mentioned earlier I met a lot of young southerners at the hotel I use to work in who would drive up here just to have a real Great time.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Do you feel fortunate to live here? Do you feel like you have it better than other Americans? Let's not be politically correct here, the holiday season is upon us and it is time to have good discussion!

I would say "lucky". However, I do believe that having lived/schooled here has afforded me wonderful oppties, made street smart, diversity and provided me with a wealth of culture.

On the flip side, the "rat race" and lack of being in touch with many other things that some take for granted does catch up with many.

Like any place, it has its pros and cons.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times
yeah every where else feels inadequate afterwards

Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
I would say "lucky". However, I do believe that having lived/schooled here has afforded me wonderful oppties, made street smart, diversity and provided me with a wealth of culture.

On the flip side, the "rat race" and lack of being in touch with many other things that some take for granted does catch up with many.

Like any place, it has its pros and cons.
This is very well said!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
It all depends on the person. Usually I receive a lot of love down south from people.

People don't realize that in almost every city a good portion of the people have a love/hate relationship.

New Yorkers complain about expense and delays on subways. People down south are very envious of our nightlife, urbanity and culture.

When i use to work at the Sheraton hotel, plenty of people down south would book rooms just to experience the pleasure of staying out all night and walking the streets, and not having to go to a restaurant which involved using a car and driving in a highway to go there.

Me personally, I admire the south for it's family like culture and it's affordable housing, but other then nice homes for cheap I couldn't personally see myself living down there.

On the other hand I love the idea of San Diego and plan to visit one day or maybe even live.
U should it's amazing in San Diego

Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 31,476 times
Really good New York City.http://www.bediro.com/images/3/w1.png

Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Even as someone who desperately cannot wait to move FAR away from here, I fully understand why many more people would want to stay in the city.

As Seventh said, just because these people don't want to move doesn't mean they don't travel to get their fix of the outside world. Many people have second homes outside of the metro area that they flee to whenever they have free time. My mother has a beach house that she spends nearly every weekend at, even in the winter. I have another friend who owns a home 3 hours away upstate which runs to every other week.
Yes, plenty of New Yorkers own homes or have worked outside of NY or gone to school outside of NY. But that's really the same for any other place.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Yea I feel lucky to be here because every time I go down south, people admire how I'm from here and always tell me how once they reach their goals (success) they are coming to live here.
What is down South?

You actually have a big section of the country, and clearly not all of those people want to move to NYC. Even for those that like urban areas, some move to wherever in Texas, Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, NC, or wherever in Florida.

Saying the South is like saying the North is all NYC/Boston/Philly when geographically most of the North is rural.

With that said, if you live in a suburban strip mall area AND you're able to get a professional career, yes, you could benefit from moving to NYC. If you're an average working class person, life in NYC would suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City