Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,344 times

Advertisements

My apology if the article was already posted.

Source - It's high time to talk about the anticipated gentrification of the South Bronx* - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
This is a kind of funny article. Some of the quotes make it sound like the kind of development seen in Williamsburg, Greenpoint and LIC is already in the works in the South Bronx. But then when it comes to giving examples, the only one seems to be the Clocktower building, which has already been residential and live/work lofts for a long time.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Does this mean that hipsters are never moving into Staten Island? I've never seen any there.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Isn't the hipster "era" almost over ? How much longer can it go on ? Don't youth cultures,which are really just periods of extended adolescence, pretty much run their course in less than a full generation ? Beatnicks,Hippies,Goths all pretty much fizzled after 10 or 15 years.

I really think the hipster thing is nearing the end of it's course.Haven't we already entered the second decade? Within the next few years we will be reading articles about the next youth "counter culture". It's probably already started if anyone wants to go out and really look around.

Not sure NYC will be the epicenter of the next wave either.It could be someplace else.Hippies chose SF,Goths were very widely dispersed. If I had to predict whether the next wave would be centered in Detroit or NYC,I might be willing to take a chance and bet on Detroit.Even the remotest areas of NYC have gotten a little pricey.Artist types are no longer flocking here and the scene is kind of dulling out.So, Staten Island,The Bronx and Eastern Brooklyn might have to hope for something other than the hipsters,or any youth counter culture for that matter.

Unlike Hipsters,the next counter culture wave will have to support itself because the American middle class is shrinking at an alarming rate.Cost of real estate will play an important role.

I want to go to Detroit next summer to get a feel for what's going on because I have this weird feeling that something is going to pop .Lot's of opportunity there because of all the upheaval.Space is dirt cheap for all.It's attracting lots of different types.

Asians are going to win the NY invasion,not hipsters.The city is theirs.Hipsters will be viewed as a brief blip in another 25 years.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-06-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
The hipster counter culture has been going on since the late 90's now. Usually ten years are max for counter cultures. But the general ideology that hipsters possess like environmentalism, pacifism etc. will never die it has been present in many previous counter cultures and will continue now more than ever. Just my 2 cents.

Will the offspring of the hipster follow the path of their parents or will they grow up to resent it?

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 12-06-2013 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 06:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times
What's the big new industry in Detroit?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
All the vacant land and cheap prices provides a perfect playground for hipsters. Urban planning and constructive new ideas to try out.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:31 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Corporate land grabs , government subsidies and real estate development.Just watch wheat happens there in the next 10 years.There won't be any one big new industry…..They will all get pieces of the pie.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Isn't the hipster "era" almost over ? How much longer can it go on ? Don't youth cultures,which are really just periods of extended adolescence, pretty much run their course in less than a full generation ? Beatnicks,Hippies,Goths all pretty much fizzled after 10 or 15 years.

I really think the hipster thing is nearing the end of it's course.Haven't we already entered the second decade? Within the next few years we will be reading articles about the next youth "counter culture". It's probably already started if anyone wants to go out and really look around.
I have thought about this too. However, the modern day hipster has a key difference from the other groups that came before them. This difference is that the hipster has never really came up with anything original, but instead has just jumped on the ideals of past countercultures. It's not like the Punks, Goths, or Hippies who created something new. With todays age of the internet and widespread sharing of information, I'm not even sure a true counterculture can rise up these days to replace the hipster trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure NYC will be the epicenter of the next wave either.It could be someplace else.Hippies chose SF,Goths were very widely dispersed. If I had to predict whether the next wave would be centered in Detroit or NYC,I might be willing to take a chance and bet on Detroit.Even the remotest areas of NYC have gotten a little pricey.Artist types are no longer flocking here and the scene is kind of dulling out.So, Staten Island,The Bronx and Eastern Brooklyn might have to hope for something other than the hipsters,or any youth counter culture for that matter.

Unlike Hipsters,the next counter culture wave will have to support itself because the American middle class is shrinking at an alarming rate.Cost of real estate will play an important role.

I want to go to Detroit next summer to get a feel for what's going on because I have this weird feeling that something is going to pop .Lot's of opportunity there because of all the upheaval.Space is dirt cheap for all.It's attracting lots of different types.
Have you ever been to Detroit before? I'm not buying any sort of big movement there. The city is desolate and has been stripped of all its "bones" to the point where there are hardly any intact neighborhoods to develop. The place is really quite sad.

I think there are other cheap cities like Cleveland or Pittsburgh that are more likely to develop some sort of movement. Then there is New Orleans, which already has a unique vibe, is cheap, and is full of creative types and weirdos.

I think NYC will always have a counterculture neiche because of its size, but I agree that it's not as likely to be the place where new movements start anymore because it has become too expensive for real creative types too live in.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,213,961 times
I would love to buy one of those $500 houses in Detroit, or particularly some loft space downtown. But I fear litigation if some crackhead breaks in, sets it on fire, and kills someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City