Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 12,941 times

Advertisements

For those who got to the interview stage already... did they notify you by phone or mail to set up an interview time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 15,872 times
Hi All,

I received a letter to interview in January. After submitting all documents for pre-review, then doing the physical interview and also sending some missing bits of notarized letters, I finally received a letter yesterday stating I am income eligible. I'm guessing this just means they have completed my credit check as well and received everything and re-verified and have added me to the apartment log list.

My log number is in the 14000s and I have a disability preference. I'm curious what percentage of applicants do they pull from the lottery pool and how over-packed would the full list of qualified, waiting applicants be? What I mean is, if there's 140 something apartments, are they interviewing 200, 300, 1000 people? Just need an idea of where I stand as my current living situation is short term and I'm not sure I can afford to wait more than 3 months. Praying it works in my favor.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 PM

19 posts, read 45,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Yes 500 west 30th is being run be Related and 525 west 28th is Avalon. They should have different offices running their affordable housing.

Maya, you should start a new thread on 30th street. You'll get more information on that particular development that way since more people will be able to see it in the forum.
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:31 PM

158 posts, read 303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggy-NYC View Post
Hi All,

I received a letter to interview in January. After submitting all documents for pre-review, then doing the physical interview and also sending some missing bits of notarized letters, I finally received a letter yesterday stating I am income eligible. I'm guessing this just means they have completed my credit check as well and received everything and re-verified and have added me to the apartment log list.

My log number is in the 14000s and I have a disability preference. I'm curious what percentage of applicants do they pull from the lottery pool and how over-packed would the full list of qualified, waiting applicants be? What I mean is, if there's 140 something apartments, are they interviewing 200, 300, 1000 people? Just need an idea of where I stand as my current living situation is short term and I'm not sure I can afford to wait more than 3 months. Praying it works in my favor.
Greggy, I don't know if they would request info from more applicants than available units but from the ad I did conclude that for mobility disabled applicants the 5% unit allotment would translate to 7 of the 142 units and vision/hearing applicants would have just 3 units available in this lottery.

While those odds seem low it sounds as if your pretty far along.

Last edited by OldYork; 03-13-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM

343 posts, read 1,090,861 times
they're required by law to interview a large number of applicants (smthg like 40 times the number of apartments).

and they do keep interviewing after they've preliminarily filled all the apartments because they need to fill up the wait list and in case anyone who was originally offered an apartment decided not to take it for whatever reason..

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM

95 posts, read 342,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggy-NYC View Post
Hi All,

I think you've got yourself an apartment. From what I understand your info has to be sent to HPD for approval (whatever that means) and then you'll probably be called to sign the lease. Good luck to you!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
they're required by law to interview a large number of applicants (smthg like 40 times the number of apartments).

and they do keep interviewing after they've preliminarily filled all the apartments because they need to fill up the wait list and in case anyone who was originally offered an apartment decided not to take it for whatever reason..
Yep, I just looked it up, its actually 20x the number of available units. That's a pretty steep number, hopefully I come out on top. Thank you for all the kind works, I'm still waiting to hear back.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
I think you've got yourself an apartment. From what I understand your info has to be sent to HPD for approval (whatever that means) and then you'll probably be called to sign the lease. Good luck to you!
After reading over the letter carefully here's what I get:

I am income eligible and have been added to the "Eligible log list." My income eligibility was rated at 60% AMI for a studio/1bedroom. It also states that the list is kept and maintained by the West 52nd street office. It states that as units become available, they will interview the next person on said list, until the get to me or fill up all apartments.

Obviously no guarantee and remember, they are legally required to interview 20x the number of available units. That means that since I qualify for a 1 bedroom or a studio and its 40 units total available, I'm still competing with approximately 800 other applicants.

It's a long stretch but I'm hoping I am indeed near the top of the list. I saw the building just yesterday, apparently the end towers aren't finished yet, or there's still scaffolding along the sides. I'll keep checking my mailbox every day though, here's to hope! Has anyone definitely signed a lease yet? Or reached the final round of the process???

Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 35,609 times
I had my appointment on Monday to bring in my Security Deposit of $500, take a tour of the premises and to see my actual apartment (it's a studio).

I have my lease in hand (all 59 pages of it). I have another appointment on Friday to drop off my signed lease, check for April rent, and to pick up my keys. I opted for a 2 year lease.

My move in date is March 29. I have already scheduled Con Edison, Verizon FIOS and brought apartment insurance (this is an requirement)

I am in the short building, construction is still going on. My apartment does not have a washer/dryer, but there is a laundry room in the basement. All of the appliances (fridge, microwave, dishwasher and stove) are all white. There is even a garbage disposal. I have plenty of closet space (there are 3 closets in my place). The apartments uses a key fob instead of regular keys.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:52 PM

343 posts, read 1,090,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchykuba View Post
I had my appointment on Monday to bring in my Security Deposit of $500, take a tour of the premises and to see my actual apartment (it's a studio).

I have my lease in hand (all 59 pages of it). I have another appointment on Friday to drop off my signed lease, check for April rent, and to pick up my keys. I opted for a 2 year lease.

My move in date is March 29. I have already scheduled Con Edison, Verizon FIOS and brought apartment insurance (this is an requirement)

I am in the short building, construction is still going on. My apartment does not have a washer/dryer, but there is a laundry room in the basement. All of the appliances (fridge, microwave, dishwasher and stove) are all white. There is even a garbage disposal. I have plenty of closet space (there are 3 closets in my place). The apartments uses a key fob instead of regular keys.
So they informed you that you were approved when they called to have you come view the apartment?

And also how are the floors, are they wood strip or parquet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery