Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking into applying for a job in Manhattan and the salary is listed as "competitive." With past experiences, I'm afraid they will ask me "How much would you like to make?" Since I know nothing about what it takes to live up there (I'm coming from Florida) I don't know what I should say. I think I will plan on living in Long Island and taking the train into the city (but have no idea where I would begin to look). What should I request for in salary and any suggestions on where I should look into living? I don't want to be in a small studio apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Well, we don't know what sort of job you're interviewing for, so we can't really tell you what salary to ask for.

If you want to live on Long Island (for some reason....) then I suppose your housing cost would go down, although the LIRR is going to get expensive day after day.

And do you just want to "survive" as the title states, or actually live?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 7,324 times
Right now I am a teacher in Florida. I have a Master's degree in educational leadership. The job I am applying for is an educational center director for a private tutoring company. The job only requires a B.A. so I think my educational qualifications overreach expectations. And you make a good point... I do want to actually live. I would live on Long Island because I have some family there that I would like to be close to.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Your biggest cost will be housing. Ask your relatives about housing costs where your job is and where in NYC you might want to live and you can figure from there what you should ask for. You can also post your question in the suburban forum

Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM

56 posts, read 148,564 times
They should really lower down the rent out here . Makes no sense to pay $2,500 for an two bedroom apartment in a crime infested area.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:43 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
makes no sense paying 1200 for anything when you spend the majority of the time at work, commuting to work, running errands or out with friends. the time you are in the apt you are either sleeping, cleaning or watching a lil bit of tv.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
You can get apartments for a lot less than 1200. Depending on where you want to live, commute times, and QOL. There are studio apartments you can find with a little effort for around 800 in Forest Hills, which is middle class with pockets of affluence... definitely not a ghetto. Bay Ridge is also a nice area that still has affordable housing. I don't understand why you want to live on Long Island. The commute expenses would get rather high. If it was me, I'd either do a studio in a place like I mentioned above. Or I'd go to Jersey City and get more space for the $. Keep your expenses as low as possible until you are in a more stable situation.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
There are studio apartments you can find with a little effort for around 800 in Forest Hills, which is middle class with pockets of affluence..
No, not really. There aren't. I had a friend who was looking last year and the closest he came to finding an $800 rent anywhere in the area was a $900 basement studio in Oakland Gardens. I think you need to update your knowledge of the real estate market if you think $800 is market rent for a Forest Hills studio.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:29 PM

29 posts, read 38,110 times
Need about $70k for a cheap Manhattan studio (i.e. a $1500 studio). I'd say about $40-50k to do the roommate situation. The income taxes here may surprise you since there's both a city and state income tax (unlike Florida, which is where I moved from also).

Old 12-07-2013, 05:06 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, not really. There aren't. I had a friend who was looking last year and the closest he came to finding an $800 rent anywhere in the area was a $900 basement studio in Oakland Gardens. I think you need to update your knowledge of the real estate market if you think $800 is market rent for a Forest Hills studio.

No, actually I don't. It may not be the overall average, but you can definitely find basement studios in Forest Hills for around $800. All you have to do is go on Craigslist. If someone is employed, responsible and drug-free with a decent credit score they should be able to find something at that rate or very close to it. You're talking about a $100 increase, not a $1,000 increase. My numbers are dead-on for an individual with their sh*t together and a good eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: