Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 PM

143 posts, read 298,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
HB and JC are great places to live. They aren't SoHo or Manhattan for that matter but have their own unique vibe going. If you have the time and are curious just hop across the river for a day and check them out.
Come to think of it. I think I will. I'm guessing the rent would be cheaper there than Brooklyn or Manhattan but is it by a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSkies View Post
Come to think of it. I think I will. I'm guessing the rent would be cheaper there than Brooklyn or Manhattan but is it by a lot?
Now that I do not know, but you could search around the Internet for answers.

Know co-workers and such that live out there but am not the sort of person to get into other people's business. *LOL*

Personally think if you like The Village, SoHo and such think you'd find Hoboken up your street. Again they are not interchangeable but the vibe of Hoboken is more like the Village to an extent IMHO. Lots of good places to eat, bars, etc....

Few persons we know that moved out there thought they would be going back into the City after work to get their drinks on. However they soon found nice places where "everybody knows their name" and now have a few locals they call their own.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM

141 posts, read 306,775 times
Quote:
I agree. I haven't been to Soho since the early 90's but most of the people I know lament how much it's changed. Ditto the East Village.

As for the last statement, I agree. I've lived in Midtown for about 15 years now and I don't know my area all that well at all compared to other places in the city that I frequent.
You live in Manhattan but haven't been to Soho since the early 90s? Most bizarre thing I've read in a very long time.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
I can walk to work
Being close to work isnt always a good thing. Im a real estate agent and most people who want to live near work are usually first timers into the city and people who dont know much about areas. After a yr or 2 they want to live much further away from work lol.

Anyhow it mostly depends on your budget, i have a no fee studio and 1br on mott/houston from $2700-$3500 among other stuff.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
You live in Manhattan but haven't been to Soho since the early 90s? Most bizarre thing I've read in a very long time.
Oh I don't know. Wasn't down that way for years myself, indeed was gobsmacked the first time got off at City Hall subway station a year or so ago to see just how much that area has changed.

Most of my time in SoHo/Tribeca was when it had mainly clubs during the night or art galleries during the day. Oh and a few good restaurants such as Capsouto Freres.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Really? I've heard Hoboken and Jersey City are pretty good places to live in. And by transit, it's close enough to Manhattan. I've never been there myself but wouldn't mind checking it out to see why some people talk it up so.
I drive, bike and take the subway often between manhattan, queens and brooklyn. Hoboken isn't close enough to do any of that. Plus, dude was asking about soho. If I was moving to NYC, I wouldn't move to Hoboken or jersey city. If I was moving to New Jersey, then yes, maybe I'd consider union county.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh I don't know. Wasn't down that way for years myself, indeed was gobsmacked the first time got off at City Hall subway station a year or so ago to see just how much that area has changed.

Most of my time in SoHo/Tribeca was when it had mainly clubs during the night or art galleries during the day. Oh and a few good restaurants such as Capsouto Freres.

Capsouto Freres! My boss treated all of us to dinner for a job well done one night and I still recall how great everything was especially the soufflé. Have yet to taste a better one than theirs. The food, service, everything was excellent.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Capsouto Freres! My boss treated all of us to dinner for a job well done one night and I still recall how great everything was especially the soufflé. Have yet to taste a better one than theirs. The food, service, everything was excellent.
Shame CF closed down, but apparently after super storm Sandy the place was wrecked and couldn't recover financially. IIRC something new is opening up or will do so in the space shortly.

After 32 Years in Business, Capsouto Brothers Now Must Start Over | Tribeca Trib Online

Just drove past the area last night on the Westside Highway. It truly is amazing how things have changed. Thirty some odd years ago there was *nothing* down there really. Now it is all condos with river views.....

Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
Why so bizarre? I did the whole downtown thing (East Village, West Village, Chelsea, Soho) when I was much younger; hanging out at all hours of the night, clubbing, bar hopping all took a back seat as I focused more on my career. Judging from what others have said, I haven't missed much. Supposedly, it's all touristy now and all the cool artist lofts, clubs, bars, small eclectic stores are pretty much gone.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
I can walk to work
What neighborhood are you working in? I suggest murray hill for you to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City