Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM

79 posts, read 219,534 times

Advertisements

Since i moved to the city, I have tried 3 hair salon in NYC with great reviews in the internet. Highly recommended by Allure magazine and Yelp. 3 of the hair salon were very expensive but the results arent great.

I have very long fine hair... I need someone who understands this type of hair. Most of the stylist do the same hair cut to all women whitout taking in consideration different factors the type of hair, lifestyle, age, personality etc.

Please help! I am a desperate girl !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 01:26 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Remember if someone is advertised in a magazine, it's usually because they PAID for the advertising - not because they're well recommended. Same thing with paid ads on Yelp.

You should ask based on what location you want a salon in.

I've had good success for things like this using Yelp and actually looking at the reviews (versus the recommendations from Yelp).

Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Its like an expensive handbag/clothing, its the brand you're paying for not the actual thing.

With that said as was mentioned above magazine ads or suggestions are paid for. I use to work in the salon/spa industry for about 15yrs. How much are you looking to spend? A haircut from a high end $500 salon can be the same quality or even better as a hair cut from a $50-$75 place. It all depends on the stylist.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
ask females you know where they get for a cut.

I did that once with a male friend.....same barber for 20+ yrs

Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Ask family, friends, co-workers, etc where they get their hair done. Also, if you have a certain type of hair texture sometimes it's better to venture off and find salons that specialize in that type of hair.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Yelp is useless, but I'm surprised that you didn't do well with the Allure recommendation. What salon was it? Sorry, but it's never seemed to me that fine hair is so unusual that it merits special expertise. It's not the stylist's job to consider your personality or lifestyle. If you don't come in with some definite guidelines for what you want, I'm not sure you should be blaming the stylist. Have you ever asked people with similar hair for recommendations?

It occurs to me that you could try calling Arrojo and Bumble & Bumble, because they train a lot of people.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Ask family, friends, co-workers, etc where they get their hair done. Also, if you have a certain type of hair texture sometimes it's better to venture off and find salons that specialize in that type of hair.
I would add to the above to ask your neighbors where they get their hair cut.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
You could go to the salon my fiance works at. I can guarantee you will leave happy. Your wallet won't though lol

Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 AM

706 posts, read 1,041,664 times
Go to the salon the eastbound chick works at

Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM

143 posts, read 298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Its like an expensive handbag/clothing, its the brand you're paying for not the actual thing.

With that said as was mentioned above magazine ads or suggestions are paid for. I use to work in the salon/spa industry for about 15yrs. How much are you looking to spend? A haircut from a high end $500 salon can be the same quality or even better as a hair cut from a $50-$75 place. It all depends on the stylist.
Exactly. It's not the salon necessarily but the stylist. I don't have the energy but many of my friends make it a point to follow a certain stylist (unfortunately the good ones tend to move around from salon to salon if not set up shop themselves) instead of the salon. That said, the better salons will have a higher percentage of good stylists on staff than the lesser ones. If you don't know a stylist off hand, ask your co-workers, friends, neighbors etc. if they can recommend a salon/stylist. Also, read the reviews on Yelp. Often the reviewers mention which stylist they liked. I tried that with pretty good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City